Confused - Open Seating/Reservations Marina

Tropiclady

Hi Oceania Experts,

We will be taking our first Cruise in Aug/11 and are sailing on the Marina with 4 other couples.

All of the information I have states that there is open seating dining available in 6 restaurants. Which 6? What restaurants do you need reservations for?

I have seen the posts concerning reservations and the reservations system so hoping that someone can explain. Is open seating not really open seating and it would be wise to make reservations when possible ahead of time?

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tropiclady

Main Dining Room is open seating/no reservations. (i.e. no set seating times)

The Terrace Cafe will be the lido style eatery/buffet.

The remaining 4 speciality eateries, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo, Tuscana are all capacity controlled and require reservations.

Your room category will allow you to book "x" number of reservations for those specialty eateries; however, you may also wait until you board to do so and may even get extra opportunities. However, waiting may mean you have to eat at times / days you might not otherwise have chosen.

So in short, you've got more places to eat and your biggest problem will not be access, but making a choice! ;)

I just went to the Marina brochure and the brochure states that all of the restaurants are open seating. Has this changed since the brochure was put out? Thanks.

The specialty restaurants have never been OPEN Seating where you can just show up.

Maybe a communication problem or proof reading problem ;)

Edited by LHT28

Hi Tropiclady, I had the same issue with the marketing info calling all the restaurants open seating. I was informed very forcefully by the O experts that I did not understand how O defines open seating (which is different from the common use of the term).

I got over it as a marketing thing to make it appear that you don't have to be making reservations all the time to dine in specialty restaurants when in fact you do need reservations. You do get to make a certain number (based on your cabin) ahead of time and then daily in the morning you can try to get extra reservation in the buffet area (Marina may work out a different plan from the smaller ships). Most restaurants like that are called reservation required vs. open seating.

It is what it is. We were able to get extra reservations by going in person several times to ask for them.

Have a great trip.

I got over it as a marketing thing to make it appear that you don't have to be making reservations all the time to dine in specialty restaurants when in fact you do need reservations. You do get to make a certain number (based on your cabin) ahead of time and then daily in the morning you can try to get extra reservation in the buffet area (Marina may work out a different plan from the smaller ships). Most restaurants like that are called reservation required vs. open seating.

It is what it is. We were able to get extra reservations by going in person several times to ask for them.

Have a great trip.

Very true.

It's a little like "2for1" and "free air" - it just sounds better that way. It may be confusing at first but it does work well.

...I got over it as a marketing thing to make it appear that you don't have to be making reservations all the time to dine in specialty restaurants when in fact you do need reservations...

I sincerely doubt it was designed as a ploy to make something seem like it was not. The simple fact is that at the time this was implemented, most cruise lines were using fixed dining times, where you have no choice of when, where or at what table, and with whom, you dine. These can be defined as "closed" dining in the sense that once the seating assignments are made, the issue is closed.

In contrast, Oceania operated an "open" system, in which one chooses when to dine, with whom, at which restaurant and may even request a different or specific table or serving staff.

It is true that the specialty restaurants, while assessing no extra charge, have a limited capacity and therefore must require reservations to avoid turning people away. However, one can still choose which night, can choose from any of the available time slots, can request the size of the table and can choose which table among those that are available, and can choose to dine alone, to share, or to book with any other passengers one desires, subject to capacity availability. That is just about as "open" as anyone could expect given the size of the restaurants.

It would be absolute chaos to implement an open system that would permit anyone at any time to wander into a specialty restaurant and expect to be seated, as is possible in the main dining room and the Tapas on the Terrace informal restaurant.

In other words, no one is told when they must dine, where and with whom, like on traditional fixed dining cruise lines, and must pay extra in order to obtain even partial openness at a specialty restaurant.

Most cruise lines have now moved or are moving towards a more open dining experience like Oceania. All call their particular implementation some form of "open" dining but they are all different, and none are as open as Oceania and Regent.

It's difficult to fathom why some are upset with Oceania's definition of Open Dining, since no other cruise line is more open.

Edited by hondorner

Don,

Once again it gets down to the semantics.

happy cruzer (and others, myself included) feel that it is an unfortunate choice of words by Oceania. Whether it is intentional or not, it conveys something that is not exactly correct.

Just like “free air” is not FREE. Oceania should instead use the term “air included” to avoid any possible confusion. Just recently I saw a post (on Azamara boards) from an Australian poster who is eager to book an Oceania cruise ASAP as they are now “offering 2for1 fares and free air”. Clearly he does not understand that Oceania is offering this all the time – it is not a special promotion; but it obviously gets people’s attention.

Likewise, open seating in specialty restaurants would be better described as “reservations required”. That in itself does not imply “early“or “late” seating, nor pre-assigned tables. It is what it says it is – reservations required (and if you have made a reservation, for whatever time and date and however many people, then you may come when you reservation says you should come). Much like in finer restaurants in big cities that are very popular (just like Oceania’s specialty restaurants are very popular) – you must/should make a reservation if you want to be guaranteed a seat. They too would describe themselves as “reservations required” (often specified so in their adds) and not open seating restaurants. It is then understood that you may eat anytime with anyone you wish, provided you made the appropriate reservation in advance.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Oceania's specialty restaurants cannot function on a “walk in” basis like the MDR; it’s just that the designation open seating is misleading (intentionally or not). Obviously, there are people who are confused by this terminology, like OP. Then, why not make it clear?

After all, in reality, there is a clear distinction between seating policies in the MDR and specialty restaurants; so why put them all "in the same bag" as "open seating in all restaurants"?

Edited by Paulchili

A quibble:

It is my understanding that Australians did not qualify for the "free air" in the past. Might that not be what the Aussie was referring to? Not that "free air" is something "new"?

A quibble:

It is my understanding that Australians did not qualify for the "free air" in the past. Might that not be what the Aussie was referring to? Not that "free air" is something "new"?

Don't know the answer to that one.

The point here is that the terminology used by Oceania (i.e ."free air" "open seating in ALL restaurants") is confusing at best and deceptive at worst and can easily be rectified (if so desired).

Don't know the answer to that one.

The point here is that the terminology used by Oceania (i.e ."free air" "open seating in ALL restaurants") is confusing at best and deceptive at worst and can easily be rectified (if so desired).

I agree they should state AIR INCLUDED rather than FREE

Open dining except for the Specialty restaurants would be a less confusing statement for new to O cruisers ;)

Lyn

I agree they should state AIR INCLUDED rather than FREE

Open dining except for the Specialty restaurants would be a less confusing statement for new to O cruisers ;)

Lyn

I think you're "dumbing down" the restaurant policy far too much, Lyn.

Why does any restaurant on shore or at sea, have to state that their capacity is limited by the size of the restaurant?

Isnt that just common sense?

I think you're "dumbing down" the restaurant policy far too much, Lyn.

Why does any restaurant on shore or at sea, have to state that their capacity is limited by the size of the restaurant?

Isnt that just common sense?

Stating plainly in their brochure that the MDR and the Terrace Cafe are OPEN seating and the specialty restaurants are by RESERVATIONS only is not "dumbing down" anything. It's just stating the facts as they are - thus avoiding any possible confusion. These are the facts - are they not?

After all, if it had been stated like that in the brochure, OP would not have had to ask the question and this entire thread would not be necessary.

Edited by Paulchili

Stating plainly in their brochure that the MDR and the Terrace Cafe are OPEN seating and the specialty restaurants are by RESERVATIONS only is not "dumbing down" anything. It's just stating the facts as they are - thus avoiding any possible confusion. These are the facts - are they not?

After all, if it had been stated like that in the brochure, OP would not have had to ask the question and this entire thread would not be necessary.

OMG :eek:

Here I am again agreeing with Paul

What is the world coming to :D

Lyn

Looking forward to meeting in Feb ;)

OMG :eek:

Here I am again agreeing with Paul

What is the world coming to :D

Lyn

Looking forward to meeting in Feb ;)

Lyn,

Indeed it is the end of the world as we know it :D

Looking forward to meeting you as well :)

Paul

All Oceania would have to say on their website and in their marketing is:

Open seating in the Main Dining Room and Tapas on the Terrace.

Reservations required for specialty restaurants.

This would clarify the situation for inexperienced cruisers on O.

Then the questions would be, "Do we have to reserve a certain time?" "Do we have to pay for the reservation?" Can we make the reservation ahead of time?" and probably dozens more that I haven't thought of.

The question was asked and answered. Oceania calls it "Open dining" regardless of what anyone else thinks that might mean. It's pointless to argue what should be or what might be.

Tropiclady,

Which August 2011 Marina sailing are you on?

If you are on the August 10 sailing, I invite you to come on over to the "Roll Call" for this cruise and join the discussion there...

There are several active participants and we are all planning and discussing options for the specifics of this itinerary, including what to do in port and more...

Here's the link to that discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157579