We are thinking about a future O cruise- question regarding internet----

Jetswdo

Hi to the Oceania community- We usually are on Celebrity or Princess, etc...

We would probably book concierge class, lowest one-- which would include internet, I believe--

Someplace the info says 1 device per cabin?

The two of us, always have our small netbooks with us. We need to be able to use them sometimes at the same time.

Does this mean that we will need to pay for one more connection? On Celebrity we are used to unlimited internet for the two of us and we just each use our own netbooks without any issue-----

What generally would be the cost to do that if we had to. Totally confused. Thanks, Anita

My understanding is that it is one device at a time. You could use both devices without an extra charge if you can manage not to need to be online at the same time.

I'm not au courant with current charges since we've been getting free internet for a while now, but my guess would be that depending on how much you would need to be online with a second device you might be better off paying the per minute charge which used to be $.99. I THINK that the number of package deals they had in the past are far fewer now. For example, when I paid for the internet I used to get a 200 minute package which brought the per minute charge down significantly. But it doesn't sounds like you would need anything like that much.

Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Mura

Believe the "free" internet is a limited amount and not unlimited and agree with Mura, it is one at a time for the "free" package and even when you buy a package, it is one at a time so in all cases you would need a second account.

Believe the "free" internet is a limited amount and not unlimited and agree with Mura, it is one at a time for the "free" package and even when you buy a package, it is one at a time so in all cases you would need a second account.

The Internet that you get is Unlimited", this is from Oceania:

"If you book an OLife Choice voyage, enjoy the incredible convenience of Free Unlimited Internet. Each suite or stateroom enjoys one login that can be used on one device at a time across an unlimited number of devices."

I hope this helps.

For whatever reason that you both have to be logged in at the same time, you will have to purchase a second account.

Does any one know where it is stated that and "free internet" is limited amount of usage? Again, if I would have to pay for one unlimited package, and there is one included with concierge booking, that's ok-- I'm just trying to figure out the costs, and what to expect before I book. If the free for one device is just for a small amount of minutes, then that perk is basically useless for us.

Does any one know where it is stated that and "free internet" is limited amount of usage? Again, if I would have to pay for one unlimited package, and there is one included with concierge booking, that's ok-- I'm just trying to figure out the costs, and what to expect before I book. If the free for one device is just for a small amount of minutes, then that perk is basically useless for us.

did you look at the link in post #3 above

"Free Internet " is unlimited with O Life deal

If you are looking at just the Concierge cabin internet without the O Life deal then you get 200 minutes free

Edited by LHT28

Hi to the Oceania community- We usually are on Celebrity or Princess, etc...

We would probably book concierge class, lowest one-- which would include internet, I believe--

Someplace the info says 1 device per cabin?

The two of us, always have our small netbooks with us. We need to be able to use them sometimes at the same time.

Does this mean that we will need to pay for one more connection? On Celebrity we are used to unlimited internet for the two of us and we just each use our own netbooks without any issue-----

What generally would be the cost to do that if we had to. Totally confused. Thanks, Anita

No confusion here- "O Life" (if you've chosen that fare basis) gives you one unlimited account at no added cost, which means only one device can be logged on at any given time. If you try to log on using the O Life account while another device is logged on, you'll be given the opportunity to stop the other device's session and log your device on.

If you really "need" to both be on the internet at the same time, you'll need to book a cabin level that includes some amount of Internet access and/or purchase additional access in a second account. Can't remember what that costs (though I think there are options including unlimited access).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off the Riviera ten days ago in the Med. DH and I each had an iPhone and a wifi only iPad. We signed up for the AT&T International Day Pass for our iPhones for $10/day we could use them just like at home for calls, texts and data used by apps or Safari any time a roaming network was available. It uses your home plan limits. We found it really useful as even when sailing a network was often available. We also had the OLife unlimited wifi which we shared between our two iPads. I would log on and download a book then my husband might use his to check news or sports and knock me off. Between the free wifi and the day pass we were more tech connected than ever before. If you really really need a second wifi I think the most inclusive/expensive option was around $300 on our 10 day cruise. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread with different question but, going to ask it anyways:p.

With the "Olife unlimited internet option" we recently got for an upcoming cruise, my wife asked if this would include using Oceania computers? She doesn't want to bring her laptop and sometimes rather use a computer with monitor instead of her tablet.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread with different question but, going to ask it anyways:p.

With the "Olife unlimited internet option" we recently got for an upcoming cruise, my wife asked if this would include using Oceania computers? She doesn't want to bring her laptop and sometimes rather use a computer with monitor instead of her tablet.

Thanks,

John

Yes - you can use the computers in the computer room. It will not have your apps or saved sites but it is just like any other desktop.

FWIW, I much prefer using my iPad. It's very small and light for packing, it has many of the links and documents I need (as well as books), it avoids using a device (desktop) that many others are using (avoiding possibility of communicable diseases) and I can use it in MY CABIN.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

And I prefer bringing along my laptop (a small one) but even so I have sometimes used the ship's computers in the internet cafe. Bear in mind they don't have the programs you might want to use, but if you are just doing email you will be fine.

Mura

Thanks,

Wife only does e-mail. I don't know why she doesn't want to bring her laptop because I'm the one that carries it around in my backpack. Needless to say, I'm not arguing with her.

We both use our tablets for reading books and web browsing but, as I said, she like to sit in front of a monitor sometimes when reading e-mail (I just never have been able to figure out women...lol).

Cheers,

John

The reason I bring my laptop is not for email (although I prefer using my laptop to the ship provided equipment for that purpose)... it's so I can write my diary while I still remember what happened AND so that I can upload photos. I tend not to do any real editing of photos until I get home, but I will "label" them. Which is more advantageous to me than trying to remember what they were!

I'm the one who carries the laptop ... I wonder if I can coerce DH into doing so in the future ...

Mura

I'm ok about hijacking a thread, as long as I can get an answer to my question.

I see that the O life deals includes unlimited wifi- one device at a time. If we book a cruise that has this, as long as we can get the air fare taken out of the price-- then I would just book 1 unlimited wifi package for the cabin. Again, I am new to Oceania community and am trying to understand the ins and outs. For us, we will probably book one of the concierge level cabins.

I see that the O life deals includes unlimited wifi- one device at a time. If we book a cruise that has this, as long as we can get the air fare taken out of the price-- then I would just book 1 unlimited wifi package for the cabin .

You can book the cruise with O Life perks which includes 1 free unlimited internet account PLUS 1 of the other perks

House select beverage package

OR

free excursions

OR

OBC

Both parties in the cabin have to choose the same perk

You can decline the included airfare & get a $ credit

I'm ok about hijacking a thread, as long as I can get an answer to my question.

I see that the O life deals includes unlimited wifi- one device at a time. If we book a cruise that has this, as long as we can get the air fare taken out of the price-- then I would just book 1 unlimited wifi package for the cabin. Again, I am new to Oceania community and am trying to understand the ins and outs. For us, we will probably book one of the concierge level cabins.

Hi Jetswdo,

We just booked this past week for our cruise next year.

I understand now what you are asking.

There was two different types of OLife options.

The first one included airfare plus wili plus another option. I think this coast around $1,200 more pp than just cruise only fare.

The second OLife option was without airfare but had wifi and one more option LHT28 listed in above reply. This cost was $200 more pp than the cruise only fare.

Considering the cost was $400 more but got us $400 OBC plus the wifi for free it was a good deal for us.

I will also mention that depending on which TA we went with, we got much more OBC in addition to the $400 and wifi.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone about this with an Oceania rep, actually, as we are considering a cruise in July 2018 and are new to this line. Here is what I was told: If you buy an O Life package for concierge level, the internet is "free unlimited," but limited to one device at a time. If you book concierge level without the O Life package, you receive a 200-minute package for free. Didn't ask if you could access those 200 minutes with a mutual passcode for two devices or had to use one device only. I called about this because the list of concierge benefits seemed contradictory, with the benefit of "free unlimited internet" a line or two above the benefit of "discounts on internet packages," and I wondered why you would need a discount if you were getting free internet. As a potential new cruiser I am also slowly crawling through all the pages here because the website is turning out to be really hard for me to navigate.

My husband and I both use our ipads to work while on board, so we used the O life for one and I just paid the extra cost for the other. Both of us having internet access is crucial to our businesses, so worth it to me to pay the extra as the alternative is not going.

If you book concierge level without the O Life package, you receive a 200-minute package for free. Didn't ask if you could access those 200 minutes with a mutual passcode for two devices or had to use one device only.

As you stated above for the free internet the Concierge deal is the same conditions

You can only use 1 device at a time

I called about this because the list of concierge benefits seemed contradictory, with the benefit of "free unlimited internet" a line or two above the benefit of "discounts on internet packages," and I wondered why you would need a discount if you were getting free internet.

If you do not take the O Life perk with the free internet & need more than 200 minutes (some people do ) you can get a discount for the packages when in Concierge & above

My husband and I both use our ipads to work while on board, so we used the O life for one and I just paid the extra cost for the other. Both of us having internet access is crucial to our businesses, so worth it to me to pay the extra as the alternative is not going.

If you are in an OS, VS or OC you can use 2 devices per suite

Can one of two devices be used as a blue tooth hot spot whereby the second device can access the internet through the first one without using a second log on? Is that possible?

Theoretically possible, and ingenious, but the band width restrictions are such that it isn't really worth going down that path...