Repositioning Cruises

mp3jrick

South from where? The Alaska season ends in late September, and there are a boatload:D of repositioning cruises to San Francisco and LA at that time. You will also find some Panama Canal cruises at that time.

Brilliance of the Seas does her Transatlantic crossing in November, but she might be the last one. I think you'll do better looking for September or October repo cruises.

I would say that most repo cruises are from FLL through the Panama Canal and up to L.A. or San Francisco usually Apriol and May. The ships will be in Alaskan waters and then in Sept or Oct will go back to FLL via the Panama Canal. There are obviously others but that is the main repo routes.

Marilyn

I've been on a few cruises with RCCL and have never done a repo cruise before. Are they any different than the regular cruises (beside just going one way). Are the prices cheaper or most expensive and how do you really find out which ships are doing them etc. Any help in trying to explain this to me, would be greatly appreciated. What are the prices like compaired to the regular cruises?

Happy Sailing to all,:)

Most cruise lines don't call their cruises "repositioning cruises," you have to determine where you want to go and then search for the cruises by itinerary. For example, moving a ship from the Med in the fall to the Caribbean is a repositioning cruise, but it will be called something like Barcelona to Miami. The cruise is no different from any other cruise except it changes the locale rather than staying in a given area. The price may be significantly cheaper or not, depending on demand.

When doing price comparisons, remember to factor in airfare, too. If you're doing a round trip cruise, you will fly in and out of the same airport. If you do a repo, you will either have an open-jaw ticket (from home to one city, then from another city home) or one-way ticket, which can be more expensive than the savings on your cruise.

there is one site that list repo cruises. i dont know if we can name a travel agency here so i will just say it is three words put together that starts with v and ends in o. i hope you can find what i am talking about and my reply does not get deleted.

mp3, what I think you're talking about isn't technically called a repositioning cruise. If what you're talking about is just cruising from NY south to another port like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, it will just be called another cruise itinerary. When they talk about a true repositioning cruise, it's usually taking a ship from where they cruised for a season and putting that ship in another location for another season. True repo cruises are usually from Europe or Alaska and back to their home US port.

If it's a repo cruise from Europe, and you don't have any ports of call, it's usually cheaper than a regular cruise because there of less port tax charges. Also, true repo cruises take more than 7 days. The ones from Alaska can take as much as 14 days, and the ones from Europe are usually 10 days. And as the other poster said, even though you may pay less, you make up for that with the very expensive one way airfare.

mp3jrick - Actually, I am on the Repositioning cruise of the Constellation (it was called this by Celebrity and other online sites) in November. It leaves out of Port Liberty (NJ) and ends up in San Juan. It's 9 days leaving on November 10th. Stops in South Carolina, St. Thomas, St. Martin and I forget where else. But makes 4 or 5 ports. Great trip and pricing. Also, Song Airlines lets you book one-way fares now from San Juan to NYC (not sure of other places) for a great price. Might want to look at that one. There's a Roll Call for this cruise on the other board.

There are also some short repo cruises. For example, Princess does several two-night cruises between San Francisco and Alaska in May and September, when they move the ships up for the summer Alaska itineraries. These run a couple hundred dollars pp. There are no stops and everything's open on the ship, since that's where they make all of their money. My company is actually thinking of taking one of these to use for offsite training. :)

Just a bit of insight on the reposition cruises. I am going to use Bayonne NJ, Voyager of the Seas, and Florida as an example.

If you look at the schedule for the VOS it ends its NE season run towards the end of November 2005 and then starts up in Florida for its Caribbean cruises. Between that time is when a repostion should take place.

I am on such a cruise Nov, 18 2005 from NJ to FL by way of Aruba. I got a JS aft balcony for under $2800 including tax and port charges.

As for the airfare, $115 on Nov, 26th. The busiest flight day of the year. Not bad at all.

mp3jrick - Actually, I am on the Repositioning cruise of the Constellation (it was called this by Celebrity and other online sites) in November. It leaves out of Port Liberty (NJ) and ends up in San Juan. It's 9 days leaving on November 10th. Stops in South Carolina, St. Thomas, St. Martin and I forget where else. But makes 4 or 5 ports. Great trip and pricing. Also, Song Airlines lets you book one-way fares now from San Juan to NYC (not sure of other places) for a great price. Might want to look at that one. There's a Roll Call for this cruise on the other board.

I was looking at this exact cruise last night, cabin 7000 to be specific.

As for air....easy going, harder coming back, like what else is new.

I do like the transfers included and the baggage handling of inclusive air though.

$439 ea, ouch.......

Just took Song last month, what an airline!

I was impressed with the seat back console and the SEATS!

INAC,

I have missed two DJ cruises on Carnival the past two years.

Excellent concept, but make sure the crew is providing what they should for space, seating, privacy and A/V equipment. This was a problem on Carnival, and they go back for more next year for some reason. I think is was a cost issue for them, but what the hell it's a write off and your 1/2 way there, go first class.

mp3jrick - just a suggestion on the airfare, (you don't mention where you are flying from) but it sounds like you have to fly into NY/NJ. What about booking your own air round trip from JFK. Then a one way from San Juan to JFK - it was $75 one way last time I looked. May be cheaper that way, but doesn't include the transfers. At $439 each with transfers it may be worth it not know what taxi's or car service will cost.

Just a suggestion.

mp3jrick - just a suggestion on the airfare, (you don't mention where you are flying from) but it sounds like you have to fly into NY/NJ. What about booking your own air round trip from JFK. Then a one way from San Juan to JFK - it was $75 one way last time I looked. May be cheaper that way, but doesn't include the transfers. At $439 each with transfers it may be worth it not know what taxi's or car service will cost.

Just a suggestion.

I could go Green in Providence or Logan out of Boston, I live on the south coast of Mass.

The last time I cruised through NY, they dumped us off on the tarmac and we walked to the terminal, coooooold in Feb.

Our baggage got to ride though....lol.

But!!!!! Our luggage didn't catch up with us until we left Aruba 3 days later.

For that reason, I like non-stops.

That way if we crash, at least I know my luggage is nearby, lol.

Archived