Regent Cruise Memory DVDs

UUNetBill

This is more of an observation/mini-rant than anything else, and I have no one to blame but myself, really...

We're fairly new cruisers on Regent (started in 2009) and we had never bothered to purchase the cruise videos they produce on board until our cruise before last - and we really loved them! Seeing the familiar faces of fellow cruisers, crew members, ports, the ship, and various other good memories was awesome.

So we had DVDs from our last two cruises, and of course Regent doesn't keep any of these in any archives anywhere. I know there's probably not any real demand for these after the cruise if over, but dagnabbit, they should store all of these raw videos on a couple of archive drives somewhere for people like me who didn't know any better!

Yeah, I know - the miniscule demand wouldn't even offset the price of a few TB of storage and the few hours it would take to copy them over...but I'd sure love to be able to have copies of our earlier cruises.

So I guess my advice to others new to Regent - if you're even remotely thinking about purchasing the cruise videos, DO IT.

Okay, I feel better. Thanks. :D

Hello,

What does the DVD contain?

Is it footage of the ports and also fellow passengers?

Do passengers have to agree to their faces being displayed for all to see?

How long is the DVD?

How much does it cost?

Thank you.

Pam.

Hello,

What does the DVD contain? See below

Is it footage of the ports and also fellow passengers? Yep, both. And the crew, and clips from the shows, which is nice if you miss one or two.

Do passengers have to agree to their faces being displayed for all to see? I don't believe so, since it's not technically 'public display'. I'm sure there's some loophole in the law that allows them to produce a limited number of DVDs.

How long is the DVD? Usually between 30-60 minutes, I believe.

How much does it cost? I think it runs around $65 or so, but they'll toss you a free one if you book on board.

Thank you. You're welcome.

Pam.

Answers above, in red.

Edited by UUNetBill

Answers above, in red.

Thanks Bill, might be worth having a look at that depending how the trip went.

All our ones on Regent have been fab but with a few negatives along the way.

Just hoping that it won't be like "Reality TV" style.

I suppose it would be good to look back to remind oneself of passengers and what they and we were like.

I think we will be booking our next cruise onboard. With the savings that we will be making, i'm sure they will throwing the DVD in too. ;)

Pam.

The DVDs were $40 on our Mariner cruise from SF to NYC that ended last week. We received ours from booking onboard, and enjoyed watching it. I'm not sure we'll ever see it again, though. We tend to store it away and forget about it. Some people will play it over and over.

I wasn't on the video. Joan appeared for about 5 seconds during the block party. Because we had an 18 day cruise, there was only sketchy coverage of the ports - otherwise the DVD would have been very lengthy. There was lots of coverage of the shows, possibly because this was the last cruise for our Jean Ann Ryan performers. They will be missed.

It's interesting to know that you get a free copy when you book a cruise. We plan to book a cruise on both of our b2b November cruises. We haven't purchased a DVD in the past and, like Joanandjoe, will probably watch it once and store it away.

It's interesting to know that you get a free copy when you book a cruise.

We have had a few of these but were extremely disappointed when we got home one time to find that the CD contained shots of the previous Captain, the previous JR troupe, and some ports that we hadn't visited:confused::mad:

We have had a few of these but were extremely disappointed when we got home one time to find that the CD contained shots of the previous Captain, the previous JR troupe, and some ports that we hadn't visited:confused::mad:

I understand you being upset - I would be as well. Hope that you didn't pay for it! If Regent does this often we could start a thread where people that forgot or didn't buy theirs could find someone with one from their cruise:D

If I don't receive one when we book our cruises, I won't mind as we have a video camera with us that helps us remember our cruises and the wonderful crew members onboard. Thanks for sharing that information (must admit that I laughed until I realized how disappointing it would actually be -- shame on me!)

We were given one last month on Mariner when we booked next years cruise. It has a lot of what I would call "stock footage", of Vancouver,and all the Alaska ports. I would not have noticed but my husband said that the flags of the visiting ships the day we were in Ketchikan were not the same ones up in the video. I would never have even spotted that but he did.

It's nice, and as others have said a watch once experience, and it was free.

My husband was on the video when the captain came round, we were deck 11 so the first ones visited, it was nice to see familiar faces of guests we met and got to know. Jean.