Hurricane Matthew

Travelcat2

This CC article gives a good summary:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=884

Their take on it is:

"As a general rule, cruise line passengers are not entitled to compensation for storm-related itinerary changes..............Note: In the event that a scheduled port is replaced with another port, the line isn't obliged to give you anything - but if there's no replacement port, the cruise line will refund any port charges for missed ports in the form of onboard credit"

So on that basis the maximum you could expect is port charges for Newport (Boston replaced by an extra day in New York) plus a refund for any paid excursions

However, we have had ports missed on a couple of previous Regent cruises and have not sought or received anything; we were just happy to have an extra lazy day at sea - reading, drinking, eating, drinking, napping, drinking :) (oh and sometimes a little drink as well)

If you are seeking recompense I suggest you speak with the Executive Concierge and/or Purser on-board

Most importantly, I am glad to hear from those of you in the southeast that made it through the hurricane safely. We continue our prayers for those families that were affected by the deadly storm.

In terms of port fees, etc. As some of you may recall, Regent used to break out port fees, fuel, etc. These fees were in addition to the cruise fare. I checked out the Crystal site and found that "taxes, fees and port charges" are not included in the fare. The fees ran from $365/person to $985/person for the two itineraries I checked.

While I do not know the exact reason why these fees were combined on Regent, I do remember when the fuel costs would waver quite dramatically and Regent ended up having to refund fuel fees (someone else may remember the details better than I do). It seems that shortly after this fuel issue, all of the fees were combined and I have not heard of anyone on Regent receiving refunds or OBC's for missed ports (and there are many of them each year on all cruise lines). We have seen instances where many ports were missed (or last year when the Mariner was stuck in a port for a few days) that passengers received future cruise credits. The future cruise credits may have been issued because the missed ports were due to Regent - not an act of God.

I'm wondering if cruise lines like Crystal that separate "fees" from the fare is the reason they refund port fees (as Regent had to do when fuel costs were separate).

I understand that refunds, etc. are different in the U.K. due to their consumer protection rules and do not know if they receive any type of compensation for missed ports.

I agree with ridolphi on this issue

Edited by Travelcat2