After Embarkation Procedures - Dining

Rocknie

I was wondering if after embarkation you can go to the guest service desk and look at the Compass Rose menus for the upcoming week? This is one of first things we do when cruising with a different cruise line. Seeing what the weekly menus have to offer each night helps in selecting what days we want eat in the MDR or what days we try to book a specialty restaurant. As always... thanks for the continued help.

Me, personally, I'd go ahead and book my specialty restaurants based on sea days, excursions, etc as soon as they're available online and then see about making any changes onboard. I'd rather have reservations confirmed ahead of time than not be able to get any decent times later on.

To answer your question, I've never tried to get my hands on the menu ahead of time but I'd think it would be available if you ask.

I was wondering if after embarkation you can go to the guest service desk and look at the Compass Rose menus for the upcoming week? This is one of first things we do when cruising with a different cruise line. Seeing what the weekly menus have to offer each night helps in selecting what days we want eat in the MDR or what days we try to book a specialty restaurant. As always... thanks for the continued help.

Having just cruised on Mariner I can tell you that the best place to go to for this would be in the front of Compass Rose. The maître d' and the restaurant manager were very accommodating. When I went to guest services they told me they didn't have access to the dining room computer. Huh? The restaurant manager told me later that of course they have access to the dining room computer. It's the same computer. :D

It would be highly unusual for Regent to provide information for future menus in CR. Menus are not set in stone. If the chef finds something special while in port, you will see it on the menu the following day (üsually fresh local fish). We have received menus for the following day that have changed - this is not unusual.

In terms of making specialty restaurant reservations, if you wait until you get on board you will likely not get a reservation at a time you want and will likely have to share a table. IMO, booking reservatons online in advance is important if you want a table for two art a specific time.

There are night's that I recommended not making specialty restaurant reservations. However, with new menus being rolled out, I need to reevaluate my recommendations. I will do that while onboard next month.

It would be highly unusual for Regent to provide information for future menus in CR. Menus are not set in stone. If the chef finds something special while in port, you will see it on the menu the following day (üsually fresh local fish). We have received menus for the following day that have changed - this is not unusual.

In terms of making specialty restaurant reservations, if you wait until you get on board you will likely not get a reservation at a time you want and will likely have to share a table. IMO, booking reservatons online in advance is important if you want a table for two art a specific time.

There are night's that I recommended not making specialty restaurant reservations. However, with new menus being rolled out, I need to reevaluate my recommendations. I will do that while onboard next month.

We were on a B2B Mariner recently (New England/Canada) and they did know what the menu's would be. Of course, they were the same places on both cruises and the menu's were the same both cruises, except for the night they had lobster brought on board the day after Halifax. The restaurant manager knew which nights the lobster would be on the menu and told us so we could decide whether to go to Prime 7 that night or not.

We were on a B2B Mariner recently (New England/Canada) and they did know what the menu's would be. Of course, they were the same places on both cruises and the menu's were the same both cruises, except for the night they had lobster brought on board the day after Halifax. The restaurant manager knew which nights the lobster would be on the menu and told us so we could decide whether to go to Prime 7 that night or not.

You were fortunate to be able to make onboard reservations in Prime 7 - this is not always the case. Also, I suspect that the menu's in North America do not vary as much as they do in some parts of the world. While the new menu (that will be rolled out on the Mariner next spring) has lobster on the menu every night, I suspect that the lobster from Halifax was amazingly good.

Because the OP is going to be on the Explorer, reservations can be more difficult to get (at least this was the case in July - I'll be checking on this again next month).

In the past (still the case on the Mariner), the nights of the Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society cocktail party and Captain's farewell, were "special" (lobster, Beef Wellington or Chateaubriand). We did not make specialty restaurant reservations on those nights. Now that lobster is an every day item, I want to learn if those nights are still special.

You were fortunate to be able to make onboard reservations in Prime 7 - this is not always the case. Also, I suspect that the menu's in North America do not vary as much as they do in some parts of the world. While the new menu (that will be rolled out on the Mariner next spring) has lobster on the menu every night, I suspect that the lobster from Halifax was amazingly good.

Because the OP is going to be on the Explorer, reservations can be more difficult to get (at least this was the case in July - I'll be checking on this again next month).

In the past (still the case on the Mariner), the nights of the Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society cocktail party and Captain's farewell, were "special" (lobster, Beef Wellington or Chateaubriand). We did not make specialty restaurant reservations on those nights. Now that lobster is an every day item, I want to learn if those nights are still special.

Wow! We never even once had chateaubriand and the beef wellington was horrible in CR on our cruise. DH had ordered it and couldn't eat it and he mostly eats everything. They did have lobster on the special night once and yes the night after Halifax and it was good but I actually liked the lobster better in Prime 7. Not the fillet though because everyone at our table who ordered the fillet or steak send it back because they were all rare.

I wonder if having lobster on the menu every night would be less special though.

We had steamed lobster in CR three nights out of eight on the Explorer. It was amazing (you can have it prepared any way that you like with the new menu). I don't recall the last time we had Chateaubriand - we may have done a special order 24 hours in advance.

Sorry to hear that Prime 7 was serving steaks underdone. Unfortunately, depending upon who is in the kitchen, P7 can be wonderful or it can be terrible. This is one dining venue that needs consistency.

I really wish that the new menu's were being offered on the Mariner. I'm not sure if it was the kitchen staff or the menu but everything we had from CR on the Explorer was perfect - best food we have ever experienced on a Regent ship.

Question, I have never been on the Mariner before I'm a carnival girl. Is it a sit down 5 course dinner or do you order from the menu. I was looking online and there isn't much there i would eat. Can I do two Prime 7 instead of one of each. Where will you find the menu every day for the CR. Heck do we get a new letter every day of the cruise to let us know things Like shows, games, movies. Talks. Is there a formal night like on Carnival that I have to dress up.Please help this poor southern lady so she doesn't look like a redneck hick and I promise not to use Piggly Wiggley bags for suitcases.

Alice Faye:eek:

Hello Alice,

The menu for compass rose and the 2 specialty restruants are on the TV in your room every day, usually by afternoon. Also the menus will be displayed outside the restruant by afternoon too. Signatures and Prime 7 are set menus that don't change unless there is a catch of the day fish dish offered.

Also in evening Sette Marie upstairs has a menu on the TV and also it's a set menu but does have one varying dish each evening too.

It's very popular at night and can be a long wait for a table if you are a late diner.

It's a fairly smart/country/type casual dress code where you don't have to be formal but there are lots of fairly recent threads on this long discussed subject. There is a strict evening code after 6pm which is clearly stated in the web site.

You can always ask on board if you can get an extra night in the Prime 7 and can ask each day if there have been any cancellations.

Each evening as you return to your cabin there will be your next days information passages. It's full of info re expected weather next day and confirmed times of the excursions and times and venue of enrichment programs and the opening times of bars and dining venues. It will also let you know if there is a special theme buffet lunch which is very good depending on your tastes and also the weather. The days itinery is itemised from first thing till the wee small hours, so you can plan anything you like the sound of.

Hope this is helpful. Most of our Regent cruises have been on Mariner and we like the flow of the ship, hope you have a great cruise. Jean.

Just to reiterate what Jean said:

No formal nights. If you want to dress up, you can, but the dress code for evening is "smart casual", i.e., docker-style pants for men, plus collared shirt. Nice pants, skirts, tops, or dresses for women. No jeans after 6 p.m.

Yes, you get a "Daily Passages" every day that lists all the events for that day.

I'm sure you'll find lots to eat in either Compass Rose or Sette Mari--it's not just Prime 7 where you can get a steak, if that's what you like.

Hi Alice - another newbie tip is that you can order almost anything 24 hours in advance in CR.

First, for someone new to Regent, I would find a server that you are comfortable with and sit in their section every night so that they learn your likes and dislikes and can answer questions for you. If there is something you would like to order that isn't on the menu, tell your server and he/she will either inform the Restaurant Manager or the Restaurant Manager will come to your table. All he needs is what you would like to eat and your suite number. The next night, when you sit down, tell your server your suite number and let them know that you have a special order. You can do this every day if you wish.

Regent is not as daunting as it may seem. The officers and crew want to please you and try to accommodate your requests! As has been mentioned, Compass Rose has delicious steaks - sometimes better than Prime 7. You should be able to have anything that your heart (or stomach) desires:)