Navigator - Category E or Category F

hydro3

Hello folks,

We are looking at booking a cruise on the Navigator with a lot of sea days. The category F suites that are available are a little less money on level 8 but at the aft of the ship and the category E suites that are available are on level 7 towards the front.

They are the same size but I have heard that the vibration might get annoying towards the back. We have been on the Voyager and the Mariner and have not felt vibrations that were annoying, just some vibrations every once in awhile since we were living in a large machine.

If anybody has thoughts on these choices I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Hydro3

Are you saying that the only available category "F" suites for the cruise you are looking at are aft? I ask because we were in a concierge suite mid-ship and will be in a "F" category suite in two weeks that is also mid-ship (deck 8). IMO, the main reason to book a concierge suite is to be able to book dining reservations and excursions earlier than passengers in "F" suites.

If having a chaise lounge on the balcony is important to you, they are on the balconies of the concierge suite as the "F" suite balconies are smaller.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The restaurants on the Explorer are aft and we did not notice any vibration.

Are you saying that the only available category "F" suites for the cruise you are looking at are aft? I ask because we were in a concierge suite mid-ship and will be in a "F" category suite in two weeks that is also mid-ship (deck 8). IMO, the main reason to book a concierge suite is to be able to book dining reservations and excursions earlier than passengers in "F" suites.

If having a chaise lounge on the balcony is important to you, they are on the balconies of the concierge suite as the "F" suite balconies are smaller.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The restaurants on the Explorer are aft and we did not notice any vibration.

Jackie, are you sure you're talking about Navigator?

To the OP, I would avoid aft cabins on Navigator, except perhaps if you were sufficiently high. We've been twice in an E on deck 6, haven't done deck 7, but if I was choosing, I would choose the E, although I'd choose one as far back as possible, since Navigator can be quite "tippy".

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The level F rooms available are 862 through 870 and the level E rooms are 702 through 712.

We are not going to do concierge level on this trip just because there are a lot of sea days so we are not too concerned with booking the excursions before others, and for restaurant reservations, we are fine with taking what we get since there is always the ability to change things on the ship.

It seems this might be one of those where the E rooms are far forward and the F rooms are too far aft.

Our three Navigator cruises, we've stayed in 932, 1006, and 820 - all either mid-ship or forward. The Navigator vibrations haven't bothered me in the past, but I haven't had a cabin too far aft - I'd try and avoid that if possible. I think forward is much better than aft on the Nav.

The level F rooms available are 862 through 870 and the level E rooms are 702 through 712.

We are not going to do concierge level on this trip just because there are a lot of sea days so we are not too concerned with booking the excursions before others, and for restaurant reservations, we are fine with taking what we get since there is always the ability to change things on the ship.

It seems this might be one of those where the E rooms are far forward and the F rooms are too far aft.

I would be leery of suite 702 as it is too far forward. We have stayed in a forward suite on the Navigator and the sound of anchor is very loud and occurs very early each morning. To this day I haven't figured out why the anchor goes down on days when we dock (maybe it isn't the anchor) but we would not sail that far forward again on this ship.

IMO, suite 862 is borderline in terms of vibration. On the Navigator, the closer you get to mid-ship the better.

IMO all the Cat F suites are too far aft. You might get significant vibration in any of them. If I had to choose among the Cat E suites, I would choose 712 or, if you want to be starboard, 711. I've had friends who stayed in that area and they didn't have any noise or vibration problems.

Hope this helps.

Everyone very helpful responses, thank you for taking the time to chime in. We will look at getting the cabin forward as much towards midship as possible. This trip is the 2017 LA to LA trip which has 10 sea days on an 18 day cruise so avoiding the vibration I think is a good idea.

Thank you again.

I would be leery of suite 702 as it is too far forward. We have stayed in a forward suite on the Navigator and the sound of anchor is very loud and occurs very early each morning............ .

I did 82 days B2B on the Nav for the 2008 Discovery Collections Cruise in suite 703. While you can here the anchor chain being dropped at tender ports I did not find the sound annoying or bothersome. It is just a rattling sound that is muffled and lasts for 20-30 seconds. There is also a slight noise when they haul the anchor up, but you really have to be listening for it.

The anchor noise is much worst in the forward cabins on deck 5 and 6 (stayed in 601 once). If one s light sleeper that get annoyed at any noise this cam be problematic on deck 5/6. Deck 7 should not be much of an issue at all.

J 595/40

Everyone very helpful responses, thank you for taking the time to chime in. We will look at getting the cabin forward as much towards midship as possible. This trip is the 2017 LA to LA trip which has 10 sea days on an 18 day cruise so avoiding the vibration I think is a good idea.

Thank you again.

I'm not sure where you got the information about available Cat E suites on your LA to LA cruise but 702 to 712 are not the only Cat E suites available. I just checked and many deck 6 Cat E suites are also available. In particular, 623 and 625 appear to be available. I've stayed in both those suites and recommend them without hesitation. Besides being further aft than 702 through 712, they are very convenient to many public areas on deck 6 and to Compass Rose.

Hmm, I am not sure how to see some of those rooms you discussed. I am seeing on the Dec. 11, 2017 LA to LA trip that rooms 603-615 are open and now 702 - 707 are open.

Thanks for looking for me though, my RSSC-fu may not be as good as yours :P

hydro3, I have spent over 100 nights on Navigator and 450+ nights cruising. For me, the lower decks have less shaking, vibration or sways. On the 2008 Discovery Collection, I spent 71 nights in suite 611. I find deck 6 desirable because of its close proximiny to the Navigator Lounge where you can get a cup of good coffee in the morning and cocktails in the evening.

Hmm, I am not sure how to see some of those rooms you discussed. I am seeing on the Dec. 11, 2017 LA to LA trip that rooms 603-615 are open and now 702 - 707 are open.

Thanks for looking for me though, my RSSC-fu may not be as good as yours :P

You can search for individual suites by typing the suite number in the box and clicking on "refresh suites list."

625 is now gone but 623 and 627 are still available. I suggest grabbing one of them quickly.