Mariner - Montreal to NYC - 10/01

mrlevin

Has anyone heard if the schedule has been updated due to Matthew? Just curious in order to better understand mindset (e.g., speed up and get to NYC sooner or hang back) in case I am impacted by future storms.

Marc

And three of those times we had results of a storm. We were ON THE SHIP during Sandy. Even if this storm hits further South, you will feel the effects of it in that going will be rough. Real rough. Take Stugeron. It is a lifesaver. During Sandy we could not dock in New York, they went South to Charleston. On one of the other ships we could not stop at Newport (I don't know if this is on your itinerary). The ships take the storm very well, in my opinion. However, for myself, I always seem to pick the worst week. Hang on for the ride.

I agree that the ships handle rough seas very well - Navigator does, at least.

I thought that the QM2 was solid, but the last time we were on Navigator, we hit 30' swells and had 70+ knot winds. She bounced a bit and creaked a little, but overall was pretty solid. Solid enough to do a wine tasting that day. ;)

Navigator is the one Regent ship that does NOT handle rough seas well. Stabilizers helped someone, but the hull is still that of an old Russian icebreaker spy ship. And it's by far Regent's smallest ship. This is common knowledge. My wife never gets seasick but skirting a storm from Charleston to Bermuda a couple of years ago did her in. She subsisted on green apple slices and saltines for 24 hours. I started taking Bonine three days before the cruise because I have been prone to mal de mer, and I was just fine,

Edited by JPR

Has anyone heard if the schedule has been updated due to Matthew? Just curious in order to better understand mindset (e.g., speed up and get to NYC sooner or hang back) in case I am impacted by future storms.

Marc

Just got back Tuesday from this cruise. Two ports cancelled - Boston and Newport, RI. Went to NY a day early due to huge waves and to avoid the winds and waves that listed the ship (we were in the observation lounge on Sunday and the ship listed to starboard causing all the liquor bottles and glasses at the bar to slide off the shelves. Big mess! We looked out the window and it looked like the perfect storm with that wave that caused it.

The good part of it for us was that we went around NYC for the day and got to see the 9/11 memorial which we really wanted to do and it was a beautiful, sunny day there on Monday.