Seabourn or RSSC Explorer for first time cruisers

HongKongAlan

Hello

First time mid-40s cruisers. Totally torn between Seabourn Odyssey and RSSC Explorer.

Keen to have an all inclusive experience with really good food and great service. Nothing spoils a holiday for us like bad/lukewarm/average food or average service.

Any recommendations from previous cruisers?

Thanks in advance

Alan

I've never sailed Seabourn before but they're my top choice for a non-Regent cruise. There are good and bad points with each line, I'm sure the food will be fine on either line.

I think it depends on what's most important to you. We love the all-inclusive aspect of Regent. We don't need to worry about air, transfers, excursions, etc. The other lines all seem to be creeping that way.

All things being equal, I'd pick the one that has the most appealing itinerary.

I have cruised both and you can't go wrong. Go for the itinerary.

For me though, I like my butler and you don't get one on Seabourn. I had to get up every morning and go down to make my dinner reservations, but oh well...into each person's life a little hardship has to fall. LOL

Alan,

We have sailed both Seabourn and RSSC, Seabourn was our first cruise.

The best pieces of advice I can give, based on my preferences, are:

You will not be able to decide for yourself as to which you prefer until you have both under your belt, so for this one decide based on itinerary.

Look closely at the suites sizes and location.

I always struggle to separate "service" ( from boarding, staying and disembarkation ) and "food" ( quality, choice and delivery ) in terms of which I would prioritise as both are major players for me when on holiday. Both have been acceptable, both can be bettered, both have their high points. Remember, it's a one size fits all.

Consider the size of the vessels, number of passengers and locations requiring a tender.

Don't believe all the hype. This is one I will expand on more. They are both good and worth the time and effort. They both have their good and not so good points but that is in the fine detail and very subjective. Remember they have to cater for all tastes and cultures and so they are unlikely to hit all the top notes for everyone.

So hopefully you will now be just as undecided as you where at the beginning because there is no one right answer. Others here may try and persuade you otherwise but it is totally subjective. Rest assured you should have a great time with either, providing you are not expecting every little thing to be absolutely perfect, and that you are able to let some of the consequentials just wash over you when it's no big deal.

Holidaying is a state of mind!

Alan

We have sailed on both.

If you want a truly all inclusive experience then it has to be Regent. The excursions on Seabourn are expensive.

We found the on board "willingness to please" better on Regent. The suites on Navigator are bigger and better laid out.

I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.

Mike

I have cruised on Seabourn and more recently 34 nights on the Explorer. The Explorer definitely has my vote. With that said, you will need to compare pricing, itinerary, flights to and from etc.

If you decide on the Explorer, I would discourage you from getting a G suite. The bathroom and closet are very small for 2 people. I'd recommend category F2 or F1.

If you decide on the Explorer, I would discourage you from getting a G suite. The bathroom and closet are very small for 2 people. I'd recommend category F2 or F1.

On the plus side, there's not a big price difference to move to a Cat F. Well worth the extra few $$ a day, IMO. In a way, it's kind of like booking on Navigator where we automatically price in Cat F or up.

Edited by UUNetBill

You can find extensive video tours and reviews of almost all the ships on either line on YouTube...they were a great resource for us in deciding between Seabourn and Regent. We ultimately decided on booking an upcoming Regent cruise. Of course this is all so subjective, but the Seabourn ship we checked out looked a little bland... and the itinerary and all inclusiveness ultimately sealed the deal for Regent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd caveat that by saying that you can't really get a full measure of the 'feel' of a ship from the videos - I've seen some things in photos and video that I wasn't too crazy about, but in person they're really pretty nice. The 'blue lighting' in CR on Navigator comes to mind.

But YouTube and other sites can give you a very good impression of the layout and space on a ship that you can't really get from the cruise line websites.

And BarbarianPaul - I agree that the 'all-inclusiveness' of Regent is what keeps us coming back as well. We may take a shot with Seabourn someday if the itinerary really grabs up, but for now, we'll stick with Regent!

I'd caveat that by saying that you can't really get a full measure of the 'feel' of a ship from the videos - I've seen some things in photos and video that I wasn't too crazy about, but in person they're really pretty nice. The 'blue lighting' in CR on Navigator comes to mind.

But YouTube and other sites can give you a very good impression of the layout and space on a ship that you can't really get from the cruise line websites.

And BarbarianPaul - I agree that the 'all-inclusiveness' of Regent is what keeps us coming back as well. We may take a shot with Seabourn someday if the itinerary really grabs up, but for now, we'll stick with Regent!

You make an excellent point. Even our TA commented on the videos and photos of the Explorer and I completely agree. You really cannot get the feel of a ship from a video (and definitely not from a photograph that takes a "slice" of the whole picture).

Interestingly, people have called Regent "bland" for years and now are saying that the Explorer is too "glitzy" (IMO, neither description is true).

For those of you who like photos and videos, here are more pictures of the Explorer (not that we need more) but there is also a 4 minute video of Frank Del Rio talking about the ship, the economy, etc. while onboard the Explorer in July (you may have to look hard for the video - it is along the right about mid-page - it automatically begins after the commercial). Hope this works. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-15/aboard-regent-seven-seas-explorer-an-ultra-luxury-cruise-ship

Edited by Travelcat2

Of course, totally agree, but it's one other element of worthwhile research to consider before booking a cruise on a ship on which one hasn't travelled before. At the very least one can get a pretty good idea of what the cabins are like.

Anyway, am sure sooner or later we'll take a shot with Seabourn as well. In the meantime we couldn't be more excited about going with Regent!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on a Seabourn cruise this summer in Europe and the Regent Explorer was docked at the same port.

We talked to two couples who previously sailed with Seabourn and they both said Seabourn had better service and food.

They said they would not go on another Regent Cruise and in the future would go back to Seabourn.

We are going on our 4th. Seabourn Cruise in December and wouldn't sail on any other cruise line.

So I guess you need to experience both to make your own conclusions.

We were on a Seabourn cruise this summer in Europe and the Regent Explorer was docked at the same port.

We talked to two couples who previously sailed with Seabourn and they both said Seabourn had better service and food.

They said they would not go on another Regent Cruise and in the future would go back to Seabourn.

We are going on our 4th. Seabourn Cruise in December and wouldn't sail on any other cruise line.

So I guess you need to experience both to make your own conclusions.

Can you tell me if it's true that Seabourn doesn't start dinner in any of their restaurants until 7:30 PM. I've read that in their website.

Restaurants start dinner at 7:00 P.M on Seabourn.

Thanks. We would like to try Seabourn but like to eat earlier. When it's time for dinner does everyone go at the same time? That seemed like a popular time on Regent - between 7:00 and 7:30 in the main restaurant and also in Prime 7 and Signatures.

Another issue worth considering is how important enrichment and entertainment options are to you. We had a wonderful cruise on Seabourn Odyssey and really enjoyed it despite the lack of anything much to do in the evening. We went to one memorable magic show that was just so awful we thought we were being "punked". We recently took a Crystal cruise and really enjoyed the daytime lectures and evening shows. These options just did not exist on Seabourn. We will be cruising Regent's Explorer in March and are looking forward to the offerings, although the impression I get is that the shows and lectures are more top notch on Crystal.

One thing that should be mentioned for people considering Seabourn is smoking (whether you or for or against smoking). Below is the new policy and when it takes effect.

Smoking will no longer be permitted anywhere inside any Seabourn ship at any time. This includes the verandas of guest suites. The new policy will take effect on the following dates for each ship in Seabourn’s fleet:

◦Seabourn Quest: 11/28/16, Buenos Aries – Valparaiso

◦Seabourn Encore: 12/4/16, Athens – Dubai

◦Seabourn Sojourn: 12/5/16, Dubai – Singapore

◦Seabourn Odyssey: 12/7/16, Lisbon – Ft. Lauderdale

Smoking of electronic cigarettes will be permitted in guest suites, as well as other designated smoking areas. Smoking of water pipes, glass pipes or other smoking devices is not permitted on board.

Smoking will be allowed in the following designated areas on Seabourn ships:

On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 (Seabourn Encore Deck 10) including the bar stools.

◦On the starboard half of the open terrace aft of The Club on Deck 5.

◦Smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars is permitted on the open terrace aft of Seabourn Square on Deck 7. This is the only area on board where pipe and cigar smoking is permitted

As a non-smoker, the two areas I "bolded" would be of concern to me if I were on Seabourn.

One thing that should be mentioned for people considering Seabourn is smoking (whether you or for or against smoking). Below is the new policy and when it takes effect.

Smoking will no longer be permitted anywhere inside any Seabourn ship at any time. This includes the verandas of guest suites. The new policy will take effect on the following dates for each ship in Seabourn’s fleet:

◦Seabourn Quest: 11/28/16, Buenos Aries – Valparaiso

◦Seabourn Encore: 12/4/16, Athens – Dubai

◦Seabourn Sojourn: 12/5/16, Dubai – Singapore

◦Seabourn Odyssey: 12/7/16, Lisbon – Ft. Lauderdale

Smoking of electronic cigarettes will be permitted in guest suites, as well as other designated smoking areas. Smoking of water pipes, glass pipes or other smoking devices is not permitted on board.

Smoking will be allowed in the following designated areas on Seabourn ships:

On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 (Seabourn Encore Deck 10) including the bar stools.

◦On the starboard half of the open terrace aft of The Club on Deck 5.

◦Smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars is permitted on the open terrace aft of Seabourn Square on Deck 7. This is the only area on board where pipe and cigar smoking is permitted

As a non-smoker, the two areas I "bolded" would be of concern to me if I were on Seabourn.

I thought Seabourn had changed their policy earlier this year. I mean as far as no smoking on stateroom verandahs?

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the e-cigs in the suites. Some of those things are pretty pungent...

I didn't think much about e-cigs until someone told me that they smoked them in only one room and it killed the plants (have no idea if this is true as this is second hand information). I don't want to say anything negative about a cruise line - even though we made a decision not to sail with them a long time ago.

After years of research, we choses Silversea as our second choice luxury cruise line. They are far from perfect but two of their ships are beautiful and the food and service rival Regent. In terms of entertainment that someone commented on above, Crystal was known for their entertainment under prior ownership. Assume that it is still quite good but Crystal is another cruise line that we decided not to sail on. While all of the luxury lines are likely great - some suit us more than others.

Sorry everyone but the quote function isn't working for me. Referring to Travelcat2's post above :

"Smoking will be allowed in the following designated areas on Seabourn ships:

On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 (Seabourn Encore Deck 10) including the bar stools."

TC2, you said the areas you had bolded would be of particular concern to you. I understand about the e-cigs - although with many nights on Seabourn I've never been aware of anyone smoking them onboard. But can you explain why this that I've quoted bothers you?