Flaam Railway

malchancock

Hi all

We're on the Arcadia to Norway in Sept.

Just a quick question regards the Flaam Railway.

We're planning to do the Flaam railway on our own (& not through P&O, saves a couple of pence !!!) When we get to Myrdal at the top is there anything worth staying an hr or so before returning down to the ship or is it a straight up straight down trip?

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Hi all

We're planning to do the Flaam railway on our own (& not through P&O, saves a couple of pence !!!) When we get to Myrdal at the top is there anything worth staying an hr or so before returning down to the ship or is it a straight up straight down trip?

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

No. We did the Flam train ourselves and went up and straight back down somewhat enforced because of timings but I was glad in the event that we hadn't planned to stay there for any length of time. I think we had about 20 minutes in Myrdal before the same train did the return trip. We just stayed at the station - there may have been a souvenir shop. It's quite barren up there, nowhere to go and nothing to see as far as I could tell so personally I wouldn't plan to stop up there for an hour. Much better going back and spending the time in Flam or take a walk up the valley which is very beautiful.

I think it's worth staying for a while. We did the P & O trip so had refreshments. Nice shop to look at and I'm told there is a very nice walk. There was lots of snow when we went so the walk was closed but did speak with people who had done the walk and they all seemed to say it was well worth it.

Agree there is nothing to do at Myrdal, except for a hot chocolate in the cafe(!), but they do rent bikes 'one way' up there, so you could 'downhill all the way' back to Flaam if you have a couple of hours to spare... just a thought.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

Hi all

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

P&O may be cheaper

I put this on another forum,

Looking at The Web site

https://www.nsb.no/e...he-flam-railway

The cost is 340NOK each way for Adults Return 680NOK for Flåm

to Myrdal return

P&O Are presently selling tours from Flåm for

Scenic Flam Railway Adult: £62.00 / Child: £38.00

Activity Level: Low

duration.png2¼ hours

Scenic Flam Railway 2hrs 15mins

Ref: FL1_012

The Flåm Railway is a remarkable piece of engineering which provides wonderful vistas of the mountains and waterfalls that characterise this beautiful part of Norway. Boarding the train at Flåm Station, you’ll travel along the Flåm River, which is one of the best salmon rivers in the west country, to Myrdal Station at an altitude of 2,845 feet above sea level.

Admire the fabulous passing scenery along the 12½ mile track, including the sheer drop of the Rjoande Waterfall and the impressive peak of Vibmesnosi Mountain. In order to climb the 985 foot Myrdalsberg, the railroad is built on 4 levels. As your train stands on the 4th level, you can see all of the other 3 levels. In order to ensure the best possible views the train will slow down at the finest sections so you have time to capture the dramatic scenery. There will be a brief stop at Kjosfossen Waterfall to photograph the spectacular 305 foot cascading waterfall.

At Myrdal, the train turns around and returns back to Flåm.

Essential Information

This excursion will operate by train. The walk to Flåm station takes 5 minutes. There are a few steep steps to embark the train and the journey is approximately 60 minutes each way. There is a limited taped commentary on the train. This tour involves several tunnels. The train stops at Myrdal for 5-10 minutes to turnaround, as soon as it is ready it will depart therefore passengers are requested to remain on the train

Norway in a Nutshell Adult: £105.00 / Child £53.00

Ref: FL1_005

Board the famous Flåm Scenic Railway for one of the most picturesque train rides in Norway. Enjoy the views as you begin your ascent though lush countryside to the Kjosfoss Waterfall, a brief stop is given for photos, before continuing to Myrdal. Changing trains at Myrdal Station, your journey will take you past various landscapes, through tunnels and down the mountain valley to Voss Station, a well known tourist resort in both summer and winter.

From Voss Station, a 5 minute walk will bring you to a local hotel where a delicious Norwegian buffet lunch will be served.

After lunch, your coach journey continues to the Tvinde Waterfall, to photograph its pretty cascading falls. From here, pass lakes and tumbling waterfalls as you navigate the serpentine bends of Stalheimskleivane, the steepest road in Norway. The panoramic return to Flåm will take you down the verdant valley, past snaking rivers, through villages and along the Nærøyfjord.

Essential Information

This excursion will operate by coach and train. The walk to Flåm station takes 5 minutes. There are a few steep steps to access the train. The local guide is not permitted to give a commentary onboard the train, however a limited taped commentary will be provided from Myrdal to Flåm. You must remain seated on the train, as the journey can be bumpy. The train journey is approximately 50 minutes. This tour involves several tunnels. The amount of water in the waterfalls varies depending on recent rainfall. There is an optional walk of 5 minutes to get a closer view of the Tvinde Waterfall.

Activity Level: Medium

mealincluded.pngMeal Included

duration.png6½ hours

Flåm Railway and Biking Adult: £106.00

Activity Level: High

info.pngImportant Information

duration.png3¾ hours

Age Restrictions:

Child Tickets - Children are not allowed on this excursion

Infant Tickets - Infants are not allowed on this excursion

Ref: FL1_017

The Flåm railroad is only 12½ miles in length, and described as one of the most interesting stretches of railroad engineering in the world. Join the train at Flåm Station at sea level and travel to Myrdal Station at an altitude of 2,845 feet above sea level.

The train journey will show you the impressive scenery of the area; the Rjoande Waterfall, with a sheer drop of 459 feet, the peak of Vibmesnosi at 4,163 feet and the spectacular 305 feet Kjosfossen Waterfall.

Once you arrive at the highest level of Myrdal, you will remain on the train back down to Berekvam Station, over half way down the Flåm Railway. Here you will leave the train where your bikes will be waiting.

Enjoy an exhilarating downhill ride back to Flåm, following a narrow gravel and asphalt road along the river with spectacular views of the waterfalls, mountains and valley.

Essential Information

This excursion will operate by train and bike. A safety briefing will be given prior to the bike ride and all necessary equipment will be provided. It is compulsory to wear a cycle helmet. Passengers are advised to wear enclosed sturdy footwear and to dress according to the weather. It is recommended to carry a bottle of water and sun protection. Your height will be required in advance. Children under 15 are unable to participate. There is a weight restriction of 23 stone.

Important Information

ACTIVITY EXCURSIONS

You and all those in your party should be aware that, in undertaking activity excursions, you will be involved in a degree of physical exertion and/or activity such as hiking, biking, snorkelling, kayaking, diving etc. By booking the excursion you confirm that you and all those in your party are in good physical and mental condition, with no history of conditions such as seizures, dizziness, fainting, heart condition, respiratory problems or back/neck problems (by way of example only). You should also ensure that no one in your party is taking medicine that carries a warning about impairment of physical or mental abilities. If you are pregnant this type of excursion may not be appropriate for you. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and well enough to take part in the activities booked and you are reminded to take care for your own safety. Because of the risks associated with activity excursions, you may be asked by the excursion provider to sign a document which may affect or limit the excursion provider’s liability. Comfortable flat walking shoes are recommended.

LIABILITY

P&O Cruises will arrange for the excursions to be performed by the relevant excursion provider. P&O Cruises does not provide or supply the excursion services. P&O Cruises will exercise reasonable care and skill in the selection of the excursion provider, but will not in any circumstances have a greater liability than the excursion supplier and P&O Cruises shall not be responsible for the negligent acts/omissions of the excursion supplier. Please note that in relation to all excursions P&O Cruises is not responsible or liable for any loss, damage, or injury sustained by you unless such loss, damage or injury arises out of a breach of legal duty of P&O Cruises.

TRAVEL INSURANCE

Before booking any activity excursions it is essential that you ensure your travel insurance extends to cover the specified activity. It is your responsibility to obtain adequate insurance.

Norway in a Nutshell Adult: £105.00 / Child: £53.00

Ref: FL1_005

Board the famous Flåm Scenic Railway for one of the most picturesque train rides in Norway. Enjoy the views as you begin your ascent though lush countryside to the Kjosfoss Waterfall, a brief stop is given for photos, before continuing to Myrdal. Changing trains at Myrdal Station, your journey will take you past various landscapes, through tunnels and down the mountain valley to Voss Station, a well known tourist resort in both summer and winter.

From Voss Station, a 5 minute walk will bring you to a local hotel where a delicious Norwegian buffet lunch will be served.

After lunch, your coach journey continues to the Tvinde Waterfall, to photograph its pretty cascading falls. From here, pass lakes and tumbling waterfalls as you navigate the serpentine bends of Stalheimskleivane, the steepest road in Norway. The panoramic return to Flåm will take you down the verdant valley, past snaking rivers, through villages and along the Nærøyfjord.

Essential Information

This excursion will operate by coach and train. The walk to Flåm station takes 5 minutes. There are a few steep steps to access the train. The local guide is not permitted to give a commentary onboard the train, however a limited taped commentary will be provided from Myrdal to Flåm. You must remain seated on the train, as the journey can be bumpy. The train journey is approximately 50 minutes. This tour involves several tunnels. The amount of water in the waterfalls varies depending on recent rainfall. There is an optional walk of 5 minutes to get a closer view of the Tvinde Waterfall.

Activity Level: Medium

mealincluded.pngMeal Included

duration.png6½ hours

Edited by Pennbank

Our ship docked about 200m flat walk away from the station in Flam. If you buy your ticket online check the current rate of exchange and pay with a CC like Halifax Clarity that has no foreign transaction fees and choose to pay in NOK for best exchange rate.

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking into this too

Is the return train (£51) the only cost for DIY or are there extras I.e. Travel to Flaam train station. It's an expensive train journey to nowhere, is it really worth it?

We have booked this trip independently for our upcoming Northern lights cruise. The station is a very short walk from the ship, our outlay for 2 return tickets was approx £54 or 680 NOK, quite a substantial saving in my opinion.

We have done this trip in the summer and thought a winter view would be interesting.

Nothing much to do at the top, we'll have a hot drink and return on the same train.

Whether it's worth it, only you can decide.

Edited by Glenndale

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking into this too

Is the return train (£51) the only cost for DIY or are there extras I.e. Travel to Flaam train station. It's an expensive train journey to nowhere, is it really worth it?

Yes, Where the ship docks at Flåm is a very very short walk. You can see the train and Railway museum from the ship.

In my opinion yes it is well worth the trip.

At Kjosfossen look out for the dancing girls, if they still have them !

Myrdal has nothing really, Its all the scenery magnificent.

I would also consider the "Norway in a Nutshell" Tour priced at £106

Booking with the ship ensures you do not miss the boat !

Edited by Pennbank

According to the Flam railway website the price of ticket is 420 NOK return. At today's rate it works out about £34 return, an awful lot cheaper than ship's excursion. Very unlikely you would miss the ship as you plan your times accordingly.

When we went on a fjords cruise it was so easy to arrange things ourselves we didn't bother with any overpriced ship tour.

According to the Flam railway website the price of ticket is 420 NOK return. At today's rate it works out about £34 return, an awful lot cheaper than ship's excursion. Very unlikely you would miss the ship as you plan your times accordingly.

I think that price is probably the winter price, but I don't suppose the ship offers a large winter discount.

When we went on a fjords cruise it was so easy to arrange things ourselves we didn't bother with any overpriced ship tour.

I think that price is probably the winter price, but I don't suppose the ship offers a large winter discount.

I must be doing something wrong then as price in Spring is showing Return

Flåm – Myrdal 680 NOK which is over £54 against £62 for the ship price.

I agree the Flam railway is easy to do your self, however the train can be full, depending how many ships are in Flam so If you want a ticket or fancy venturing further like the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour which is over 6hours and includes Flam railway and much more with lunch for £106 Not bad price to secure return to ship in time.

Edited by Pennbank

I must be doing something wrong then as price in Spring is showing Return

Flåm – Myrdal 680 NOK which is over £54 against £62 for the ship price.

I agree the Flam railway is easy to do your self, however the train can be full, depending how many ships are in Flam so If you want a ticket or fancy venturing further like the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour which is over 6hours and includes Flam railway and much more with lunch for £106 Not bad price to secure return to ship in time.

The 680 NOK is for 2 people, the £62 ship price is for 1 :)

Thanks for all the reply's so far folks appreciated .

Although 7 months away for us yet I'm thinking of train up & down with a few photos & a quick possible refreshment at the top before getting the same train down the hill. I'll check the Flaam railway web site out in a few months time to compare prices but I would well expect P&O to charge a 'LITTLE' overhead !!! for the organised tour. As for the idea of cycling back down I'd probably a candidate for the ships medi facility at the end :eek:

Thank you, Obviously doing it wrong. Have now found the return price

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/priser/

FARES 2016

Single fare Flåm - Myrdal or Myrdal - Flåm

Adult NOK 340

Child 4-15 years NOK 170

Group discount - at least 10 persons (advance reservation required):

10% high season 1 May - 30 September NOK 306

25% low season 1 October - 30 April NOK 255

Return fare Flåm - Myrdal - Flåm

Adult NOK 440

Child 4-15 years NEW! NOK 170

Edited by Pennbank

Thank you, Obviously doing it wrong. Have now found the return price

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/priser/

FARES 2016

Single fare Flåm - Myrdal or Myrdal - Flåm

Adult NOK 340

Child 4-15 years NOK 170

Group discount - at least 10 persons (advance reservation required):

10% high season 1 May - 30 September NOK 306

25% low season 1 October - 30 April NOK 255

Return fare Flåm - Myrdal - Flåm

Adult NOK 440

Child 4-15 years NEW! NOK 170

Yes a considerable saving.

After checking my invoice - I realised we had paid 440 NOK each, not the 340 NOK I'd quoted. The 340 you quoted sounded familiar so I just did a quick conversion :o

However £70 for 2 compared to £124 for 2 seems like a good saving to me.:)

We generally do our own thing when we travel and have never come close to missing the ship.

P&O trade on peoples fears of being left behind. As adults we plan ahead to avoid that particular scenario ;)

It is also much nicer to do things together rather than being 'herded' in a large group.

Ah that's better! I thought 680 NOK was overpriced for a 2 hour round trip even in expensive Norway!

I rarely do ships tours. The only time I would consider is if the experience cannot be replicated yourself or the traffic is notoriously bad (I.e. some places in the caribbean). If you are delayed on the Flaam train then so will be the ship's tours! A little research beforehand and good time keeping and ships tours are not usually necessary (unless you have a disability and cannot DIY).

knowing

Norway has to be the easiest place to DIY. I have mobility issues and we didn't take one single ship excursion. In fact, what you go to see is all around you whilst sailing, the beautiful scenery.

The only place I have ever seen anybody almost miss their ship was the 'rum runners' in the Caribbean. We were moored beside a ship about to leave when we saw two passengers running along the quay. Everybody on both the ship's were shouting and cheering them on and they made it just in time.

Pennbank sums everything up very well - do the organized trip you will see so much more than doing it yourself. We did it many years ago on a Thomson cruise, same thing I suppose coach to Voss for lunch then mainline train to Myrdal, then Flaam railway back to ship - a great day out.