Oriana, is she in need of refit or update!

oldgrouchuk

We were on for Christmas and New Year and thought she was OK apart from a few bits of tatty carpet and some of the public loos out of action on more than one occasion.

Some of the plastic outside chairs needed mending, replacing but generally she seemed to be in good condition.

She also still has a marked vibration aft which is most noticeable in the Oriental restaurant and seemed worse than on our previous cruise on her 3 years ago.

We still love her and return in April. :)

We were on for Christmas and New Year and thought she was OK apart from a few bits of tatty carpet and some of the public loos out of action on more than one occasion.

Some of the plastic outside chairs needed mending, replacing but generally she seemed to be in good condition.

She also still has a marked vibration aft which is most noticeable in the Oriental restaurant and seemed worse than on our previous cruise on her 3 years ago.

We still love her and return in April. :)

Yes we heard tales of the aft vibration - we were on Freedom dining so in the MDR midships - no problems there.

Loved the ambience round the ship and sitting in Tiffany's with the lovely tiffany glass ceiling.

The old lady is getting a bit long in the tooth, she will be 21 this summer!. The same age as Thomson Discovery (ex Splendour of the Seas) which underwent a major refit and upgrading in 2011 and will be modified again before joining Thomson in June. Maybe it is time for Carnival to think of replacing her with something more modern with a lot more balcony cabins :eek:

ps- I have cruised on Oriana and she was just fine with just the expected wear and tear. I would cruise on her again if the itinary was interesting.

A couple of months back an advertisement appeared on the internet with this ship for sale.

Does anyone else remember this happening?

Regards John

Yes I saw the advertisement and if my memory serves e right it was with a shipping agent in Spain. As soon as the advertisement hit social media the advert was mysteriously taken off. IMO having sailed on Oriana twice the last being in 2014 we will never cruise on her again and again only my opinion but she is very tatty and not fit for purpose as a modern cruise ship in the 2016s.

She is getting on a bit but I still found her a lovely traditional ship.

However, she does need to be completely disinfected/anti-viralled as on both times we sailed on her there was mass Norovirus. This one thing is the reason why my wife won't set foot on her again even though we didn't actually catch it.

They have just had norovirus on Azura and in her first year when we sailed on her, the public loos leaked and were out of order most of the time. It happens on any ship.

Yes there was Noro on our Azura cruise last June (we didn't catch it though)

The brochure has a Canary Isle cruise departing Southampton Dec 18th. 2016 for 16 nights. No cruise showing after that date. I bet that's when it will be.

There are no cruises shown between 25th Nov and 16th Dec, which seems more likely.

Brian

We were on her a few years ago and had no problem. Only today we have booked the 21 nights on 17th July this year. When you look at the day to day routine of a ship there is a lot of pressure put upon it and you are bound to have a few problems. No reason in our mind not to book a cruise on her.:)

Awww. I would love to go back on her one day. I seem to remember some juddering when we had dinner in the Oriental restaurant on some nights, but it has never worried me. I accepted that as part of her, warts and all.

Oh really? Thanks, Sue.

So how long is she out of action for? Will she be out of hospital for Christmas?

Haha That I don't know, I seem to remember Azura was out for 2 weeks last year so Brian's guess of late Nov going into December is probably a good one.

I remember settling back in Tiffany's bar thinking "this is where I belong" :D