Southampton Luggage Drop Off Question

rumpelstiltskin

Hello,

We're disembarking at Mayflower & embarking at City Terminal the same day.

Is it possible to drop off the luggage with the City Cruise Terminal porters after 0900 before returning at noon for passenger check in?

If not, are there any reliable left luggage services in town near the port?

I found some old posts on Trip Advisor which said that Oceans on High Street does.

Also said that the SeaCity Museum will, too, but we have a lot of luggage to store.

Any advice is most welcome.:)

Hello,

We're disembarking at Mayflower & embarking at City Terminal the same day.

Is it possible to drop off the luggage with the City Cruise Terminal porters after 0900 before returning at noon for passenger check in?

If not, are there any reliable left luggage services in town near the port?

I found some old posts on Trip Advisor which said that Oceans on High Street does.

Also said that the SeaCity Museum will, too, but we have a lot of luggage to store.

Any advice is most welcome.:)

You won't be able to drop off your luggage as early as 9:00. Could you get off the ship later than that? Otherwise you may just have to wait in the City terminal till the baggage handlers start work which I think is 10:30 -11:00. I don't think there are any left luggage facilities in Southampton - well we've never found any. Despite the number of cruises which leave from Southampton, it doesn't do a great deal IMO to encourage cruisers to visit.

A possible solution to this is to book a couple of spaces in the Grand Harbour Hotel "Cruise Lounge". The non-alcoholic drinks and snacks package is £12.00, (an alcoholic package which is dearer is available too) and includes use of the lounge for the day from 7am to 9pm (?). Drinks and light snacks are provided. In addition they will take your suitcases into their care at the concierge department which also offers transfers for you and your luggage to quayside in the courtesy car. Fifteen minutes slots are available for you to choose from on the day. There is no requirement to book a room at the hotel the facility is part of their business services and functions suite and I have used it to pass time with a later embarkation time with P&O. Why not their review their website and phone in if you need more details?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

A possible solution to this is to book a couple of spaces in the Grand Harbour Hotel "Cruise Lounge". The non-alcoholic drinks and snacks package is £12.00, (an alcoholic package which is dearer is available too) and includes use of the lounge for the day from 7am to 9pm (?). Drinks and light snacks are provided. In addition they will take your suitcases into their care at the concierge department which also offers transfers for you and your luggage to quayside in the courtesy car. Fifteen minutes slots are available for you to choose from on the day. There is no requirement to book a room at the hotel the facility is part of their business services and functions suite and I have used it to pass time with a later embarkation time with P&O. Why not their review their website and phone in if you need more details?

Regards John

That's a fantastic facility John. Glad you've shared as it could be really useful. :)

Regards John

John that is a great Recommendation.

For readers looking at this post,

Oceans

Gift shop at 13 High St, Southampton SO14 2DF

Phone:023 8178 1017 (Near to East Street)

will also take in luggage. The shop has had a few moves recently, this is the latest addresses.

Regards John

Thank you so much, John, for this very useful info.

I did check their website, so here is updated info for all reading this:

It states the cost as 30 GBP per person.

And the available time is 0700-1900, which is still very reasonable.

Thank you so much, John, for this very useful info.

I did check their website, so here is updated info for all reading this:

It states the cost as 30 GBP per person.

And the available time is 0700-1900, which is still very reasonable.

I am thinking the £30.00 is an unlimited alcoholic drinks package and a non-alcoholic drinks package my be available cheaper they may confirm or otherwise by telephone enquiries. An early arrival in Southampton may be combined with a shopping day in the city and later embarkation thus getting more from a Southampton visit. If you are US based I can phone the hotel and post pricing quoted to me, advise me accordingly.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I am thinking the £30.00 is an unlimited alcoholic drinks package and a non-alcoholic drinks package my be available cheaper they may confirm or otherwise by telephone enquiries.

I wondered if the posted price might be for the alcohol option, although it was not specified.

If you are US based I can phone the hotel and post pricing quoted to me, advise me accordingly.

Yes, I am US based. If it is not too much trouble for you to phone, I'm very much obliged.

Again, thank you.

I phoned the hotel this morning at 08.30 and spoke to someone who said it is £20.00 per person for use of the cruise lounge and non-alcoholic drinks. Tea, Coffee, juices and light snacks croissants etc.

The email address for booking and confirmations etc. is as on the website: ghreservations@grandharbourhotel.co.uk

Regards John

I phoned the hotel this morning at 08.30 and spoke to someone who said it is £20.00 per person for use of the cruise lounge and non-alcoholic drinks. Tea, Coffee, juices and light snacks croissants etc.

The email address for booking and confirmations etc. is as on the website: ghreservations@grandharbourhotel.co.uk

Regards John

Just out of interest John, is the transfer to the cruise terminal an extra charge or included?

Just out of interest John, is the transfer to the cruise terminal an extra charge or included?

I believe it is included but remember it's only one way i.e. from Hotel to quayside unlike if you book a hotel stay with parking which returns you to the hotel at end of cruise and that prices are per person.

Regards John

I believe it is included but remember it's only one way i.e. from Hotel to quayside...

Many thanks, John, for all of your help in this matter.:)

I emailed the hotel this morning (late afternoon GMT) via the address you provided, & am awaiting a reply. I know it was rec'd because they sent me an auto reply informing me that I will receive a personal reply by tomorrow.

I inquired about the hotel to pier transportation in my email.

So I will update that info upon receipt for the convenience of all the readers in this topic.:)

Hello All,

I rec'd the email reply from Concierge this morning, & it states the following info:

Luggage storage, the light non alcohol refreshments, & use of the lounge costs 12.50 GBP per person.

The lounge hours are from 0900 to 1800, although their website stated a different time frame.

The one way hotel to pier transfer is optional & available for 6.00 GBP per person. This applies to all the cruise terminals.

Once again, I wish to thank John Watson for his effort in helping us out.:)

Edited by rumpelstiltskin

Hello All,

I rec'd the email reply from Concierge this morning, & it states the following info:

Luggage storage, the light non alcohol refreshments, & use of the lounge costs 12.50 GBP per person.

The lounge hours are from 0900 to 1800, although their website stated a different time frame.

The one way hotel to pier transfer is optional & available for 6.00 GBP per person. This applies to all the cruise terminals.

Once again, I wish to thank John Watson for his effort in helping us out.:)

Interesting, at £6.00 pp for transport it would be cheaper to get a taxi if there are 2 of you.

When I paid £12.00 for using the cruise lounge (see #3) I also got the transfer without paying any extra for the transfer to quayside. It should be noted that it was 2015 and that I had stayed in the hotel overnight. This may have made a difference.

When I phoned yesterday and was quoted £20.00 for the non-alcoholic package (see #11) I think they were including the transfer at £6.00 per person. The transport they use is the concierge car with one of the concierge staff driving it. It was not a taxi. It would be cheaper by taxi as Glenndale has suggested.

Rumpelstiltskin, you have indicated that the lounge opens at 09.00 which is different from the website information and I you may arrive earlier than this. A point to bear in mind is that your immediate problem upon arriving in Southampton is the luggage. I am thinking, what time does concierge open at? These are the guys that will be booking your cases in and putting them in their luggage repository. If they can do this earlier than the lounge opens it will be very useful.

I am certain you can sit on comfy chairs in the foyer to wait a bit if you need to as the least expensive option at any point. The town centre is within easy walking distance.

Regards John

When I phoned yesterday and was quoted £20.00 for the non-alcoholic package (see #11) I think they were including the transfer at £6.00 per person.

Rumpelstiltskin, you have indicated that the lounge opens at 09.00 which is different from the website information and I you may arrive earlier than this.

They seem to be very inconsistent with their prices & schedules. Therefore, I shall bring along a hard copy of the email...it's mightier than the sword.:D

They quoted 20 per phone conversation with you, but 12.50 plus optional 6 for transport to me. So the quote they gave me via email is 1.50 less than the quote given to you.

I saw the website schedule, too, which read that it is available from 7 am to 7 pm. But the email stated 9 am to 6 pm.

Nothing was mentioned about the time differences regarding the concierge or the lounge opening.

I appreciate the advice re taxi fare. We tried researching fares online to get an idea of what to expect. But the website fares appear to be from 3 to 4 yrs ago.

So, if we book this we won't use the hotel transfer option.

Or, we might stay in the foyer as John suggested.

We really do not need a place to hang out for more than two and a half hours maximum.

We plan to be some of the very last passengers to disembark at Mayflower which should be 9:00.

Our XPress Pass states that Celebrity check in will begin at 1130.

Edited by rumpelstiltskin