Letter from Carnival Victory Captain confirming shooting death of passenger

paulandfran

It is good to hear that Captain Messina has said that Carnival is suspending Coki Beach on their tours. The unfortunate thing is this can happen there, another island, Europe or to me walking down the street here in Tampa....

Despite its beauty, St. Thomas is not a very nice place.

My sister has lived there off and on for 20 years.

She currently owns a home there but chose to spend the last two winters in Maine. :eek:

That should tell ya something.

how terribly sad, only 14 years old. i always thought st. thomas was one of the safer ports like grand cayman.

The cruise lines would like for you to believe that, but that place is crime ridden. My brother and SIL lived there for a year and in that period of time my brother got robbed 5 times and my SIL 3 times. Robberies happen so often that the police don't even investigate them anymore and the robbers know that. I would never go to any of those islands.

My husband and I lived on St John USVI in the mid 90's. The crime was horrible. I never felt safe walking through town even in the day time, I always walked with someone else. We always heard way back then that St Thomas was much worse. I can only imagine this many years later how dangerous it really is. The crime is the main reason we moved away.

:eek:

Never realized crime was so rampant on that island. We usually take a ship-sponsored excursion, and don't venture out on our own. But this could have happened to anyone, as the girl was shot while sitting on a tour bus. Scary....

It is good to hear that Captain Messina has said that Carnival is suspending Coki Beach on their tours. The unfortunate thing is this can happen there, another island, Europe or to me walking down the street here in Tampa....

or Miami... or anywhere. ..sadly My heart goes out to her family.

It appears the bus was not a target, but it was caught between the crossfire. It's so sad in any event. I just wonder if St. Thomas was so crime ridden why we haven't heard about it like we do Jamaica.

Before getting internet in the early 2000's my cruise research was done via travel books from the library. I remember reading that St. Thomas had a lot of crime and they gave borders to adhere to in the shopping district that the cruise lines so heavily promote. I distinctly remember them saying to avoid "Back Street".

...not just St. Thomas, but also Jamaica, Antigua, Bahamas, New York, New Orleans, Hawaii, London, .... small town USA....

We have been to St. Thomas at least 8-10 times and never had a problem or witnessed anything - though that means nothing. What happened to that family was a random act of violence - though the randomness doesn't matter because that 14 year old girl is dead and a family is now grieving. Wrong place, wrong time.

My condolences to the family. How tragic...

Kathy

Archived