Britannia norovirus?

davecttr

I will try that anti viral foam, will it fit in the pocket?

not the foam, the bottle ;)

I suggest that you don't put it in your trouser pocket. I did and it leaked, giving a nice frosted effect on my i-phone screen.

I suggest that you don't put it in your trouser pocket. I did and it leaked, giving a nice frosted effect on my i-phone screen.

But your IPhone would not get NV. :) :)

I will try that anti viral foam, will it fit in the pocket?

not the foam, the bottle ;)

Yes it will, its about 4 inches tall at most. It works for up to 6 hours allegedly. I did a cruise with my mum where she got noro and I was fine even after visiting her in her isolation. Not a guarantee of stopping it and I can only say my experience of not catching something that I might not of caught anyway.

The important bit with the Boots one is it does viruses and bacteria, why they don't use it on the ships is anyone's guess.

Hope you are feeling better now Dave, my Mum for some reason didn't feel she had to wash her hands at the entrance to Horizon, I had to keep saying I know we've not been far but it's importnant to do it. Maybe it's an older person thing as it was automatic for me, I sometimes did the gel at the tray station as well.....OCD me never!

Sue & Eve:)

I am always confused by people conflicting opinions on this.

I have always as a general rule of thumb, no matter where I'm going on holiday, I take anti-bacterial wipes and gel with me. I was doing this long before I went on cruises.

Now I hear what people say about nothing kills the germs like soap and water etc. Purell doesnt work only soap and water and why do P&O provide these as they dont work.

I dont get why P & O provide these then. Surely it has to be in their best interests for them to provide the best they can for such germs. :confused:

Or am I missing the point here. If all it takes is soap and water, why do they even bother with these geling stations. Should they be standing with soap and water instead ?:confused:

I think they have to work as I do believe there would be far more outbreaks (I dont think theres that many to be honest) and it may be down to using these gels.

Just my tuppence worth. :D

Glad to hear your feeling better Dave.

As you have said all them cruises you have had and this one gets you .

Was it Noro or poor cooked food, you may never know.

The foam from Boots puts a protective film over your hands that can kill Noro

but the Purell gel is an antibacterial that kills bacteria and a few viruses but not the Noro- Thats what a Nurse advised me when chatting about this very subject .

The gels are only a last line of defense after washing your hands as said by others on here ,

they do not replace hand washing .

People who think that the M D is a safer place I would advise them to think again .

Who has been in contact with your chair ,table salt pepper you may come into contact with ?

Even your own cabin, is your TV remote clean ?

You could take all the precautions and still end up catching something due to others with their selfish acts we see from time to time,

sneezing with no atempt to catch it or just use their hands and never bother to go wash them afterwards.

This morning I was on a ferry back from Holland and I made sure we was one of the first through for breakfast and took other precautions like only handling the food tongs with a tissue so I would not come into contact with what others had handled .

Once we had our breakfast sat finishing our drinks some things we saw would make you shudder, in line for the food was the cough and sneeze into their hand brigade some would use the tongs then or if it was bread or toast just grab it onto their plates.

A school trip of kids left to their own devices having soda drinks and the using same glass under the dispenser again and again, in contact with the machines.

The best one we saw was a girl ,maybe 13 -16 just walked into the dining room avoiding the hand gel, in her night wear rubbing sleep out of her eyes and scratching/rubbing other parts of her body and hair and then went onto get the food and not one member of the staff thought to tell her go wash and dress yourself.

So to me its a case of wash your hands,avoid contact with anything others could have been in contact with,with your hands and yes use the gels as a last line of defence.

Edited by kalos

Hi Dave, hope you are feeling better :)

I did notice on Oceana that they did not seem as insistent on you using the gel as they do on Thomson ships, also I don't think they had it at the gangway either.

One day I saw someone refilling a water bottle, even though there was notice saying not to do so.

What are these sinks people re talking about on the Brittania?

Hi Dave, hope you are feeling better :)

I did notice on Oceana that they did not seem as insistent on you using the gel as they do on Thomson ships, also I don't think they had it at the gangway either.

One day I saw someone refilling a water bottle, even though there was notice saying not to do so.

What are these sinks people re talking about on the Brittania?

Thanks Linda, the Noro appears to be gone but as i mentioned elsewhere it appears to have triggered an episode of my IBS symptoms. worse i have ever had with abdominal cramps etc etc :( I am due to have a scan in a couple of weeks, hopefully i will last that long.

The sinks are trough like at the entrances to the buffet. they have 4 taps per trough with soap and foam dispensers plus paper towels. At the start of the cruise they were being policed but before the end the staff had dissappeared.

Handrails are the worst cause of infection, 4 flights of stairs holding on where hundreds before you have held is a breeding ground for all sorts of nasties. I always hold onto the glass partition below the rail if I do need to steady myself.

I was on that cruise and agree about people avoiding handwashing. We were obsessed! Used public loos every day but always washed thoroughly and used paper towel for opening the door. Used knuckle for lift buttons and tried not to touch handrails. In the buffet, knowing handles would be contaminated, we were careful to eat only with cutlery and use the handwash before any repeat visit. If you really thought about it, buffets would be a no go. I take antibac wipes to clean cabin surfaces before we unpack and we used antiviral foam several times a day. Fortunately the human body is able to cope with most bacteria on a daily basis!

If you really thought about it, leaving your house would be a no go. Unless you wore a bio-suit with a plentiful supply of masks and gloves, of course.

The human body is indeed able to cope with most bacteria. If it gets the chance. Live an antiseptic life, and your body never learns to cope.

Has no-one mentioned the currently fashionable "sneeze into your sleeve, not your handkerchief" yet? Nothing like a snotty sleeve to contain the spread of germs.

Sorry to hear about your illness, hope you're feeling better now. I hope that your cabin was deep-cleaned before they let the next person in, but somehow I rather doubt it.

Everyone talks about the buffet, but what about the pens that are passed round to everyone to sign their drinks bills? And even when you check in at Southampton there is a pen lying there for you to sign the declaration that you haven't been ill. I always take my own pen. Another thing that worries me is the wooden menu covers, do they not also transmit germs?

I suppose if we thought too much about it we would all become completely paranoid and afraid to touch anything, but I do think cruise lines could do more to prevent it.