Excursions on Med cruise please help

sparky876

We are shortly going on a med cruise with P&O we have booked a few excurisions but would like to do a couple on our own, does anyone have any info for the following ports

PISA - any advice on how to get to the square i.e. tower?

CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME) we were thinking of TARQUINIA AND BEACH ??

KATOR - any advice for this port please?

CORFU - all advice welcome

Would really appreciate all advice for these ports.

Hi Sparky although we have booked the Pisa by Trolley and Boat excursion I have read that you can easily get buses and trains from close to the cruise port and it is not a long journey. We booked the tour because it is only 4 hours and we plan to spend a lazy afternoon on the ship. We have also booked the Tarquinia and Beach excursion since we couldn't face the journey times and rushed visit to Rome, and I am looking forward to a less busy day and getting into the sea. We considered spending our day in Corfu just visiting Corfu Town which is very nice and recommended if you have not been, but instead I booked the boat excursion because I know my husband will enjoy it. You could also catch a bus or take a taxi to Glyfada Beach which would be very nice. In Kotor we are doing our own thing which will probably entail taking a look around the town, taking photos and trying out the local cuisine having never been to Montenegro. I have also heard that the views has we sail into Kotor are impressive so I might make a effort to be on deck to take photos prior to breakfast. We will also do some duty free shopping at the port since it is not part of the EU despite using the Euro.

We have downloaded Toms Port Guides for most of the ports which are very good and free.

We are shortly going on a med cruise with P&O we have booked a few excurisions but would like to do a couple on our own, does anyone have any info for the following ports

PISA - any advice on how to get to the square i.e. tower?

CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME) we were thinking of TARQUINIA AND BEACH ??

KATOR - any advice for this port please?

CORFU - all advice welcome

Would really appreciate all advice for these ports.

We did Pisa independently by train. Depending on where you berth in Livorno you may be able to walk to the centre of town or you may need to get a shuttle bus in. Whatever, you need to find the main square and then you can walk to the rail station - straight road, flat with pavements perhaps 15 minute walk. We used Google Earth to 'walk' the route beforehand so we knew where we were going and what landmarks to look for. In the event, we caught a local bus to the station to save time. If you want to do this I can perhaps find my review with details of where the bus stop is and the bus number. I'll look it up if you want the info.

It's about a 20 minute journey and fairly frequent - and cheap! But remember to validate your ticket in the shoe-box sized machines which print the time on your ticket before you board the train. Instant fines for failure to do so if a ticket collector comes along! (Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know - but it's awful to get caught out after you've bought the ticket if you forget or don't know the drill!)

There are two stations in Pisa. Look up on the Trenitalia site for times and station but it is the station further from the Tower where you are taken. Again, about a 15 minute walk, crossing over the river and on to Miracle Square. Download a map before you go - it's straightforward enough but reassuring to know exactly where you need to go as you exit the station. It's a pleasant enough walk.

We found Miracle Square has far more of interest than we'd imagined. There's the Duomo, Baptistery, Tower and Cemetery (enclosed courtyard with statues, rose garden - worth a walk through). We spent a few hours wandering around, having a drink then making our way back. It was a good day which we enjoyed.

Can't help with the next two ports but Corfu is lovely. You can walk into the old town - I'd recommend hugging the coast road - it's easier to find your way and more attractive than cutting through the busy shopping streets of the new Town. You will eventually arrive at an open grassy area with the Fort on your left. You can visit that - very small admission charge and the old town has a maze of streets with lots of tourist shops, cafés.

An alternative is to catch the bus from the port into town or get the circular bus to Kanoni where you can sit on elevated cafe terraces overlooking the airport runway and visit Mouse Island. I think you can get a boat trip back round the headland to Corfu Town as another way of getting back to the centre. You can look up the bus number and timetable online iirc.

Again, worth looking on Google Earth to see where these places are in relation to one another. I bet you're no more than 3/4 miles away from the port but it makes for something different to do.

Hope that helps.

Hi Tripalot, I believe you are on the same cruise at the same time as ourselves too. Thanks for your advice, yes we have researched that you can get bus or train to pisa so may take a chance on the local transport for that trip. we have decided having been to Rome that we will be booking the beach trip excursion as fancy a chilled out day and Rome although beautiful and not to be missed if you haven't visited is such a tiring day. Regarding Corfu town, is it where the ship docks i.e. within walking distance or is transport required to the town. I am sure your hubby will enjoy the boat trip tho.

could you send the link to download the port guides please.

Kruzseeker, thank you so much, and yes please any more info would be gratefully received re the bus stop etc so if you could let me know would be great. Glad yo told me about validating my ticket, wouldn't have known about that either and don't want any fines. You mentioned there are 2 train stations, can u walk to the station from the ship, depending on where it docks, and does it matter which train station we go to, or are we best to get a bus, from the dock into pisa? hope you can advise us further.

All the other advice is brilliant.

Thanks so much x

I have booked Cafe Jardin for our anniversary on the 7th (thought it might be nice to dine as a couple that night) and Ocean Grill in week 1 before it changes to Beach House in week 2 which we will also try. We have booked Club dining 8.30 sitting for the remainder of the cruise. Don't know if they are any good though but I thought this would add a bit of variation to 14 nights.

I've also booked some SPA treatments for the first sea day :)

Kruzseeker, thank you so much, and yes please any more info would be gratefully received re the bus stop etc so if you could let me know would be great. Glad yo told me about validating my ticket, wouldn't have known about that either and don't want any fines. You mentioned there are 2 train stations, can u walk to the station from the ship, depending on where it docks, and does it matter which train station we go to, or are we best to get a bus, from the dock into pisa? hope you can advise us further.

All the other advice is brilliant.

Thanks so much x

Hi again,

1. You will berth in Livorno either within walking distance of the town centre or a little way out and shuttle buses should be available to get you into the centre. Information will be available on board regarding that but you need to get into the centre either on foot or via the shuttle.

2. Then you need to find P. Grande. Tripalot has already given you the link to Tom's Port guides - this is the one on Livorno and it shows you where the ship's berth, where P. Grande is and also confirms that the No. 1 bus will take you to the train station. (That's the one we caught but it looks as though others do too.)

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Livorno-09-25-2013.pdf

You can walk but will need a town map to find your way although as I said before it's a straight road and easy enough but will take you 20 minutes at least I'd say. I can't improve on all the info in Tom's Guide - there are photos of where to get the bus etc so is very comprehensive. You can check out bus times and trains before you go to see if they are uptodate but in any case they are frequent.

There is only one train station in Livorno so you can't go wrong.

3. There are two stations in Pisa - but the Livorno trains only go to one which happens to be a bit further from the Tower - but no big deal as it's walkable from here. As you come out of the staion and cross Piazza Vittorio Emanuele follow the main road, Corsa Italia, cross the river then make for Miracle Sq. You would benefit from a map but it's not difficult to find you way.

Hope that clears up the buses/train bit - basically you are going to Pisa from Livorno by train - you only need a bus from the centre of Livorno to the train station in Livorno although that is walkable too but a waste of time I think when the buses are frequent. You may just need a shuttle bus from the port to the centre of Livorno if you are berthed a bit further out - but there wll be information on board about that.

Hi Presto2 yes it is Kotor :)

Thanks - thought it was.

Kotor - probably one of the most beautiful ports we've ever been to. If you've never been before try to get up for the sail in as the scenary is stunning.

The ship will tender or dock right by the town. The city gate is about 2 minutes away from the dock side and there will be tour guides trying to sell tours or taxi rides if you like.

Last month we did a tour that took us up in to the mountains on a coach - it really was worth it. We stopped off for a drink and some food but it was nothing to write home about, but a nice half hour stop. The views of the bay and ship up there are stunning.

When we got back we went straight in to the town. There are some beautiful buildings and it is very Italian. There is a nice church to look around and if you are fit enough there is a walk up to the old fort. That's not for the faint hearted though and you need proper hiking shoes on. Other than that there are lovely shops to browse around and we had lunch in the sunshine outside one of the many cafes. We had a local salad - it was amazing - and a drink and it was quite cheap.

We then went back to the ship and thankfully our balcony was in the sun - spent an hour or so just reading in what was absolute silence looking out at the view. You will probably have your Great British Sailaway that night and even if you don't fancy that you really do need to be up on deck as you leave this beautiful place.

Wishing you good weather and a stunning sunset that day :)

Hi Presto how early did you sail into Kotor? Since I really want to see this and won't have a balcony. We will also brave the sail away, maybe I will numb my sensibility with a little Montenegrin wine at lunchtime first :)

I might manage 8AM, not so sure about my husband :) I doubt we will spend much time inside our cabin on any day. I think that day we will have breakfast after the sail in although I may need a Costa Coffee to sustain me .....................

I might manage 8AM, not so sure about my husband :) I doubt we will spend much time inside our cabin on any day. I think that day we will have breakfast after the sail in although I may need a Costa Coffee to sustain me .....................

Have you ever seen photos of Kotor? I could try to post some photos but don't know how to do it. Will try later. :)

This may not work as I have no idea what I am doing. :confused::eek:

These should be some shots taken from the coach and just to give some idea of high those mountains are and where the ship docks in relation to the town.

P4100128.jpg.d9a472ecc39ca8f30354b3dd95c42431.jpg

P4100139.jpg.51aa410376ef2dd8bbf09ae2e03236ea.jpg

P4100146.jpg.daa81624bf794278558c6904c4690208.jpg

P4100132.jpg.a99b648d41197150d9e2d5279459a780.jpg

P4100134.jpg.4c808ab3f9545fe35af425df1d4a4c6d.jpg

SANY0018.jpg.996f86a2106a572e7c9e156c3ca10517.jpg

If this works I am awarding myself Brownie points !!!

PS No Brownie points --- the photos are there if you click on them but not how I wanted them!

Have a look anyway and in the meantime can some on tell me how to do photos :D:D

Edited by Presto2

Nice photos Kotor looks beautiful :).

They were only taken with my old 'point and press' but they give you some idea of just how beautiful it is.

Don't suppose you know how to make the photos bigger ? ;)

Sorry I have never uploaded to CC :). however when you click on them they are bigger and you can scroll through.

Neither have I - as you can tell :D:D.

Anyway, off to watch the Eurovision Song Contest soon --- good for a laugh ;)