Vancouver wine prices vs Seattle

We are taking the train from Seattle from Seattle to Vancouver and were wondering if we should purchase our wine fir the cruise in Seattle or wait until Vancouver (we have a full day to do so).

So helpful.

Canadian is significantly higher than Washington State. The government adds a lot of tax on alcohol in Canada. Each province adds even more. The exchange rate (35%) doesn't help prices either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can buy a decent cabernet sauvignon at a BC liquor store for about $20 CAD (approximately $16 US). I don't know what you'd normally expect to pay in the Seattle area but if you're satisfied with that price, buying in the wine in Vancouver will save you the effort of carrying it around with you and any possible 'complications' with bringing alcohol with you across the border.

You can buy Australian wines for about $12 + tax . If you want BC wine your looking at about $35 or more per bottle.

$35??? You can buy nice BC wines for under $20

If you want to drink swill there are plently of $7-$10 bottles in the bottled in BC section

of the BC liquor stores

$35??? You can buy nice BC wines for under $20

If you want to drink swill there are plently of $7-$10 bottles in the bottled in BC section

of the BC liquor stores

I've lived in BC all my life. The only wine that was able to drink was the old Calona brand. Yes they still exist but they like all BC wineries use something what I have a sensitivity to . I've had to find wine outside Canada and BC that I can drink.

Assuming that you only want a couple of bottles per person - i.e. no charge to bring on board and drink in your cabin - then buying decent wine in Seattle will save money as you'll also be under the Duty Free threshold of 1.5L per person at the border. If you normally buy wine in the $US25+ range I would definitely buy in Seattle.

Cheap plonk though you may as well acquire locally - the 'black cellar' range of bottled-in-BC wine is very quaffable and only $9+15% tax. The Shiraz-blend has become our go-to second bottle for those nights when the first bottle evaporates too quickly;)

I've lived in BC all my life. The only wine that was able to drink was the old Calona brand. Yes they still exist but they like all BC wineries use something what I have a sensitivity to . I've had to find wine outside Canada and BC that I can drink.

Well that is completely different than what you implied - that there are no BC wines for under $35.00.

Haven't found any wine from BC that is equivalent to some of the wines found in the states. Our favourite Calif wine is $8 in California and $30 in BC.

There are BC wines around $10 but depends on their tastes in wine.

We are taking the train from Seattle from Seattle to Vancouver and were wondering if we should purchase our wine fir the cruise in Seattle or wait until Vancouver (we have a full day to do so).

Seems this is more of a convenience issue than money saving. Go to the closest wine store and be done with it. Google is your friend.

If you're staying downtown, we usually use Pike & Western Wine Shop near Pike Place Market for pre-cruise wine.

Edited by Glaciers