Flying in to Santiago Day of Cruise?

Newbcruiser1

Hi everyone,

I have a deposit on an Around the Horn cruise this December with Celebrity. It's been on my bucket list for some time and I'm tempted to cancel my transatlantic and do this instead.

Having said that - I would be sailing solo, I'm a young woman, and I don't speak Spanish. I was able to get by for a few days in Barcelona, but I realize that English is much less prevalent in Chile.

Given the high cost of the trip as a solo, I am considering flying in the day of the cruise via Choice Air. This would save me money on a hotel/transfer and give me some peace of mind being able to use Celebrity's transfer service from the airport (somewhat more important given that there is a religious holiday on the day before/day of the cruise which shuts down the road for a pilgrimage).

My dilemma - the flight would involve a 2 hour stop with a plane change (same airline) in Atlanta. The longer flight to Santiago is scheduled to arrive at 9:45am and the ship departs at 9pm. I'm not worried about making it on time with that flight - what I'm worried about is making it ON that flight - beginning of December isn't typically very snowy yet both in Toronto at Atlanta, but you never know right? Unfortunately the flights getting into Atlanta earlier are very few and far between (and non-existent via choice air! I would have to book direct with Delta and wouldn't have the security of the choice air booking).

So - any thoughts or suggestions? If I fly in that day I would definitely book via choice air and use celebrity's transfer. I would also purchase separate cancellation/interruption insurance as per usual which would give me an extra safety net.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Newbcruiser, I assume cruise is out of Valpo. I did Sth America/Panama cruise a few days back solo (mid 50's female). I always fly in a few days earlier for any cruise and just wear the coast of hotels as I am seeing somewhere new. When I cruised out of Valpo I actually booked Ibis which was down by the water somewhat and very reasonably priced. As for language barrier never give it a thought in my travels as it's all the fun of a new experience. One thing I can recommend and have done in many places are 'tours for tips'. Basically a walking tour it's local and you tip at end what you think is a far price. Have done some great tours this way and one was in Valpo. The meeting pace wa sactually 2w min walk from Ibis hotel. To get to Valpo got a local bus at airport which went to central bus station. Buses very similar to greyhound. Found all this info on TripAdvisor. Must mention never felt nervous on my own. I do like to make the most of flying overseas as most places are long haul from Australia. Happy sailing and happy to answer any questions if I can. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our December 2015 HAL sailing, we arrived the day before at Santiago at about 6:30 AM. At 9:00 the baggage handlers went on strike. We didn't find out until we were on the ship.

The ship stayed late in Valpo for late arriving guests, but still over 200 missed the ship and had to be bussed (12 hour bus!) to the next port.

Like neenee61, we took the public bus to Valpo from the airport. As long as you can manage your luggage it is efficient and economical. We also stayed at the Ibis and did the 'tours for tips.'

Have you looked at options connecting in Miami (LAN has many South America flights from Miami)?

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the replies!

IF I was going to stay pre-cruise (and this would be dependent on approval from work - somewhat unlikely to get that extra time off), I would have liked to stay in/explore Santiago as opposed to Valparaiso, but I realize it would be a good safety net to arrive in Valparaiso a day pre-cruise due to the road issues with the holidays, potential strikes, etc.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm brave enough to do the taxi to the bus, bus to valparaiso, and taxi to hotel thing on my own with luggage! [emoji33]

I guess my 2 choices are Air Canada's direct flight arriving at 1:45pm the day prior to the cruise and finding a way to get to Valparaiso, OR the same day flight on Delta with the stop in Atlanta.

So back to flying in arriving the same day...

On the upside, IF i missed the first 2 days of the cruise by flying in the same day, it doesn't look like I'd miss too too much?! As stressful as that would be and all...

Oh and re:flights with stops in Miami - they are insanely expensive for whatever reason for that time! :(

There is an Air Canada flight Direct to Santiago that leaves TO at 10 pm and is 10 hours long. I am booked on that flight in about 5 weeks. I'm really hoping for an upgrade to Business ... they have sleeping pods! I think it's AC192 flight number.

I am woman traveling solo and plan to do the bus from airport to hotel with luggage. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread and let you know it goes.

Edited by FrozenOne

There is an Air Canada flight Direct to Santiago that leaves TO at 10 pm and is 10 hours long. I am booked on that flight in about 5 weeks. I'm really hoping for an upgrade to Business ... they have sleeping pods! I think it's AC192 flight number.

I am woman traveling solo and plan to do the bus from airport to hotel with luggage. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread and let you know it goes.

I believe that's similar to the direct AC flight that I was looking at that arrives at 1pm (obviously I would have to fly in the day prior and stay in Valparaiso overnight). I would absolutely LOVE to hear about your experience if you could please come back and post afterwards!!! I believe that's the one direct flight I am looking at. I could book the 1-way flight with Aeroplan points if I pay off the cruise well in advance to get the points in time (assuming they don't sell out of Aeroplan rates before then).

I also noticed several tours in Viator that include either direct transfers from Santiago airport to hotel in Valparaiso (or Vina Del Mar - anyone stay there? Looks like a "nicer" place to stay but unsure how far from the port and how easy it is to get to?), OR transfers with winery tours on the way. Has anyone used those? Unsure how it would work if the flight is delayed or anything as I assume the shared transportation/tours only run at set times.

I believe that's similar to the direct AC flight that I was looking at that arrives at 1pm (obviously I would have to fly in the day prior and stay in Valparaiso overnight). I would absolutely LOVE to hear about your experience if you could please come back and post afterwards!!! I believe that's the one direct flight I am looking at. I could book the 1-way flight with Aeroplan points if I pay off the cruise well in advance to get the points in time (assuming they don't sell out of Aeroplan rates before then).

I also noticed several tours in Viator that include either direct transfers from Santiago airport to hotel in Valparaiso (or Vina Del Mar - anyone stay there? Looks like a "nicer" place to stay but unsure how far from the port and how easy it is to get to?), OR transfers with winery tours on the way. Has anyone used those? Unsure how it would work if the flight is delayed or anything as I assume the shared transportation/tours only run at set times.

I see you are from Toronto.....Vina del Mar is like Scarborough is to downtown Toronto.....for the most part quite a bit more upscale then most accommodation you may find in Valparaiso.....the Cruise terminal is on a main thoroughfare in the middle of Valpo....and easily reached from Vina del Mar .....just as if you would be driving along Kingston Rd in Scarborough connecting to Lakeshore Rd to the bottom of Yonge St....hope this helps

Edited by bionicbeacher

I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR MYSELF

In my reckless younger days, I would fly in on the day of the departure. Today, however, the variables are so numerous I don't recommend it.

We were in Valparaiso just before Christmas for a HAL Zaandam Antarctica sail-by and will return in another month for the Norwegian Sun's repo to San Francisco. The Ibis hotel is our base for two nights.

I found Valparaiso to be a quirky city with lots of charm. The neighborhood around Ibis reminded me of the Salvador de Bahia lower town in Brazil, once-grand but now deteriorated.

It was already mentioned, but I too highly recommend the tour for tips. Google and you'll find it. Also, don't miss pisco sours, they are habit-forming!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, ...Given the high cost of the trip as a solo, I am considering flying in the day of the cruise via Choice Air. This would save me money on a hotel/transfer and give me some peace of mind being able to use Celebrity's transfer service from the airport (somewhat more important given that there is a religious holiday on the day before/day of the cruise which shuts down the road for a pilgrimage). ...

So - any thoughts or suggestions? If I fly in that day I would definitely book via choice air and use celebrity's transfer. I would also purchase separate cancellation/interruption insurance as per usual which would give me an extra safety net.

No comment on the air travel dilemma, I can't help there. We disembarked in Valparaiso, flew back from Santiago. But I will say that there are many ways to get from Santiago to Valparaiso, many reputable companies that will provide transport, or transport plus winery tour along the way, etc. Probably for less than the Celebrity transfer. Check with those on your roll call, see who else might be on a similar schedule, might want to join up and split the cost...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heck no!

Flying out 2 nights pre-cruise (red-eye) and staying 1 night. But I was able to get the flight for MUCH cheaper than to Santiago, and having been to Barcelona previously, I won't feel guilty spending only 1 night! ;)

Plan is to do South America when I have more time to spend in the embarkation and disembarkation cities (and to visit Iguazu Falls).

We stayed in Valpo for two days. Ibis. We asked for a room higher up and facing the water. They gave it to us. Also did 'tours for tips'. We decided against going to Vina del Mar...just another beach town. Very much enjoyed Valpo.

We did not use cruise line transfers. We only travel with carry on so it is very easy for us to do this on our own. We went through Santiago twice-once with an overnight stopover to BA, and the second time when our cruise ended in Valpo. We spent time in Santiago, then rented a car and drove south to the wine regions. The inter city buses are excellent. They run often and are very inexpensive.

We did not encounter any language issues. Many people understood english and failing that our sign language and gestures made up for it. I would no be concerned about this.