Need help deciding on which Asia cruise

SF

We are thinking of doing an Asia cruise and would like to know which of these two cruises our fellow cruisecritic friends would book and why. Both cruises are in November ...is that a good time weather wise? We'd also like to know how far away the sights and attractions are from the port. Which visas are required for American and Canadian citizens?

First cruise choice:

Tokyo,

Mt. Fuji (Shimizu)

Kobe (Japan) overnight,

Kagoshima (Japan)

Shanghai (Baoshan) China,

Okinawa (Japan)

Taipei (Keelong)Taiwan overnight

Hong Kong overnight

Second cruise choice:

Hong Kong overnight,

Hanoi (Halong Bay) overnight

Hue/Danang (Chan May) Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh (Phu My) Vietnam,

Bangkok/LaemcHabang Thailand overnight

Singapore overnight

Any information would be greatly appreciated:)

We have been on both cruises that you are looking at. One with Holland America to southeast Asia and Celebrity on the Japan to Hong Kong cruise.. We enjoyed both, the southeast Asia cruise is to many places that are less developed whereas the Japan to Hong Kong trip is to developed ports..

If this is your first time to Asia and you want to see developing countries then the southeast Asia cruise would be better. If you like more modern cities, than the Japan to Hong Kong cruise would be better.

I would do a search on youtube for videos that show you want it's like on both itineraries.

If you are looking at the Southeast Asia cruise and go on a big ship your ports as you have listed can be 3 hours away.

If you go on a ship line like Azamara they go down the rivers and tie up close to town. They also stay overnight in several ports.

We are thinking of doing an Asia cruise and would like to know which of these two cruises our fellow cruisecritic friends would book and why. Both cruises are in November ...is that a good time weather wise? We'd also like to know how far away the sights and attractions are from the port. Which visas are required for American and Canadian citizens?

First cruise choice:

Tokyo,

Mt. Fuji (Shimizu)

Kobe (Japan) overnight,

Kagoshima (Japan)

Shanghai (Baoshan) China,

Okinawa (Japan)

Taipei (Keelong)Taiwan overnight

Hong Kong overnight

Second cruise choice:

Hong Kong overnight,

Hanoi (Halong Bay) overnight

Hue/Danang (Chan May) Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh (Phu My) Vietnam,

Bangkok/LaemcHabang Thailand overnight

Singapore overnight

Any information would be greatly appreciated:)

My wife and I did both of these cruises as a B2B last Oct/Nov on the Celebrity Millennium. Only difference was ours included Nagasaki instead of Kagoshima.

If at all possible, I would certainly recommend the B2B just because of the airplane cost and travel time to get over to Asia. We enjoyed both cruises, but if I had to make a choice, it would be from Yokohama to Hong Kong simply because we loved everything about Japan: the people, their customs, their foods, their temples & shrines and their beautiful gardens. If you do choose this cruise, be sure to spend a couple of extra days in both Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Two recommendations for Japan:

- with the overnight in Kobe, consider a train trip to and a day and a half touring Kyoto - perhaps the most beautiful city in Japan.

- if you are interested in Japanese food, consider a cooking class with Yoshimi at Tokyo Kitchen - outstanding!

No visa is required for Canadians. For Vietnam the cruise ship will arrange for visa so what you have to do is to pay. Shanghai doesn't require a visa either if you stay for less than six days. Weather wise it will be beautiful but avoid mid to late December when monsoon picks up and the sea will become rough. If you have to pick either Japan is beautiful with fall colors in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like cruising. We spent a month in each of Thailand Vietnam last Feb. I would not advise touring by cruise ship. You will not see much and will spend much of your time travelling back and forth to the ship. At least 1 1/2 hours one way for where you dock in Hanoi, Saigon, Da Nang, and Bangkok. That is 3 hours return, plus time for just in case. Thailand and Vietnam are really best seen by land, or by local ferry boat. We feel the same about Malaysia. We have spent the last three of four winters in this part of the world..usually 2-4 months at a time.

Cannot speak to Japan. We would pick your first option-Japan only because we would not recommend option 2.