Portuguese man o’ war return......

SailBadtheSinner

My husband was stung by this creature five years ago at Long Warwick bay from toe to lips. He thought it was a child's toy and picked it up. :(

We were so scared.

He had red marks and it was itching for several days, but thankfully nothing worth happened.

Yes, as you found out picking them up is a bad idea.

At the last moment I realized what it was, and tried to warn, but it was too late. It was half buried in a sand to see a whole thing.

It is not at all surprising that tourists would pick them up without knowing what they were. I don't know if they are up now but they have had warning signs with pictures at Horseshoe Beach. I would worry about small children picking them up.

Would there be any way to inform the ships of infestations of Jellyfish or Portuguese Men o' War on Bermuda's beaches. Years ago we were on a cruise which stopped in Florida. One beach in our port was closed due to Jellyfish, and the ship knew about it, and posted the information near the excursion desk.

If you see them on the sand, they're probably in the water as well. Portuguese men o' war, swarm in huge numbers.

I've seen them as far north as Cisco Beach on Nantucket. Yes, we had to caution our son against picking them up.

Oh, This year? I hope they are not traveling to Falmouth/Woods Hole!

The man o war have tentacles. You can see them in my photo. Early June I can usually get acclimated to the water after a minute or so. When I went in May I couldn't. The Man O War seem less prevalent in June. I did not see a single one last June, went the second week. In June the lifeguards are on duty at Horseshoe and they do put out warnings if there are swarms of man o war. Also they pick them up from the beach. At Warwick Long Beach you are on your own.

5d63209ea28548eb1ef1292f5c905bbe.jpg

I did a google search and ended up watching a bunch of YouTube videos about them. I didn't realize this is what they look like. They're pretty interesting, but I hope I don't run into any. I get stung by jellyfish every time I go to the Caribbean and now I bring a bottle of vinegar with me. Good to know that the water will warm up for June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I remember popping the ones that washed up on shore with sticks when I was little!

The man o war have tentacles. You can see them in my photo. Early June I can usually get acclimated to the water after a minute or so. When I went in May I couldn't. The Man O War seem less prevalent in June. I did not see a single one last June, went the second week. In June the lifeguards are on duty at Horseshoe and they do put out warnings if there are swarms of man o war. Also they pick them up from the beach. At Warwick Long Beach you are on your own.

5d63209ea28548eb1ef1292f5c905bbe.jpg

Last time we went in mid May there were some washed up on the beach and we saw one floating. They had life guards policing the beach and picking up the ones that washed ashore.954af8fa73aa7ce72d08b613c7205272.jpgb5d811b4ff232ec75aab65e9c7a72173.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

For "average years" (2017 may or may not be "average"), what is the "season" (which months) that these critters are likely to be around, if at all?

The two times we've been have both been in early September, and we heard nothing about them then.

Were we just lucky?

Thanks.

I read about netting on Australia's beaches which help to prevent jellies from entering swimming areas, Perhaps Bermuda should look into this.

I love this idea!

• 2 weeks later...

We received an advisory:

Usually they come in early May , but this year they are here later than usual in season .... so please take care:

Good afternoon all:

The Ministry of the Environment, Department of Parks, wishesto advise the public that Horseshoe Bay Beach was closed to bathers at 2pmtoday. Current onshore wind conditions have caused an increased presence ofPortuguese Man-of-War (PMOW) jellyfish. Lifeguards have hoisted two redflags at the tower indicating that conditions are too dangerous for swimming.PMOW signs have been placed along the beach and lifeguards are advising beachpatrons through informal contact. Lifeguards will continue to assess thesituation and advise the public accordingly.

We wish to advise the swimming public to take extreme carewhile in or near the ocean over the next few days. PMOWcan be identified by their bluish, gas filled float on top of the water, but their long tentacles are often not seen under the surface. PMOW cancause extremely painful strings. Members of the public areadvised to stay away from them and to avoid touching them, even if they are onland, as the tentacles can still be very venomous.

HelenJardine

CommunicationsOfficer

Governmentof Bermuda | Department of Communications

GlobalHouse, 1st Floor | 43 Church Street | Hamilton, Bermuda HM12

We were at horseshoe bay today and saw several on the beach. I saw the lifeguards putting up the red flags just as we were packing up to leave. Kind of scary. We were in the water for hours and, luckily didn't run into any. Our luck continued on our parasailing trip where the rope frayed and they had to tape it up to finish reeling in the riders. Right before my son was about to go up. Lucky today indeed. They ended the trip and gave a full refund.

Are there certain beaches that don't typically have the Man of Wars? We will be there the 16th-18th and was planning a lot of beach time!

beaches: Tobacco Bay near St George, St Catherine beach next to Fort Saint Catherine near TB, Shelly Bay Beach, Clearwater Beach on St David's island.

If I am wrong about the beaches listed, someone will correct me.

SBtS

Are there certain beaches that don't typically have the Man of Wars? We will be there the 16th-18th and was planning a lot of beach time!

Man o Wars are not typical in July. Usually they appear in the spring. But winds and currents can bring them in. Since Bermuda is an island it seems like it would be difficult to say there are beaches that won't get them if the wind and currents bring them in.

Man o Wars are not typical in July. Usually they appear in the spring. But winds and currents can bring them in. Since Bermuda is an island it seems like it would be difficult to say there are beaches that won't get them if the wind and currents bring them in.

Totally understand that wind and currents are unpredictable, wasn't sure if there were some beaches that were more protected. Also heard they weren't typical in July, but Horseshoe bay was closed yesterday.