Yet Another 'Let's Bash the Cruise Industry ' Article.

babs135

Nothing like a little tabloid journalism. I don't know the stats on how many people were killed worldwide in that same time frame crossing the street in their own neighborhood, but I'm betting it more than the 200 the article mentions.

Using the numbers provided in the article your chances of disappearing on a cruise ship are 1 in 2,000,000. Your odds of being struck by lighting in your lifetime are 1 in 12,000. So let's worry about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing like a little tabloid journalism. I don't know the stats on how many people were killed worldwide in that same time frame crossing the street in their own neighborhood, but I'm betting it more than the 200 the article mentions.

What really needs investigation and remediation is the hippopotamus situation. It is reliably reported that over 500 people are killed each year by hippos.

Cover up or conspiracy ---- discuss.

What really needs investigation and remediation is the hippopotamus situation. It is reliably reported that over 500 people are killed each year by hippos.

Conspiracy. All-powerful, secret organization of hippos that spans several hundred years. Eventual aim is global domination; short-term goal is thinning the herd of tourists who think hippos are cute.

Neither.

Your hippo-thesis proves nothing, because the report doesn't mention how many of those people killed by hippos were on cruise ships at the time.

I'll wager it was less than half of them.

JB :)

Excellent point. That was my first thought ... pretty much ... when I saw the headline.

Are there factual errors in the article?

Only glanced at it quickly but I noted at least one: The reporter lists several "countries/flags of convenience" where ships are registered. Libya is one of the countries listed -- that should be Liberia.

Nothing remotely as organized as registration of ships has been going on in Libya for some time.

Not that I'm concerned about cruising, but those of you posting "you can die from anything" or "most people die from...." are totally missing the point. They are pointing out that here is a place where crimes can happen that can cost you your life and there really is no investigation or follow-up. How is that the same as, gee and people die from crossing the street? If you hit someone crossing the street, the police will come and determine who was at fault..blah blah blah. If they didn't come, or if they just talked to the closest neighbors two days after the accident and didn't take any pictures, then it wouldn't matter how many people it happened to, it would be a legitimate topic of a story. The cruise industry doesn't necessarily deserve people blindly coming to its defense just because they enjoy cruising.

The cruise industry doesn't necessarily deserve people blindly coming to its defense just because they enjoy cruising.

Nor does the cheap tabloid sensationalist "supermarket check-out" press deserve people coming to their defense just because they enjoy reading that c**p.

Not that I'm concerned about cruising, but those of you posting "you can die from anything" or "most people die from...." are totally missing the point. They are pointing out that here is a place where crimes can happen that can cost you your life and there really is no investigation or follow-up. How is that the same as, gee and people die from crossing the street? If you hit someone crossing the street, the police will come and determine who was at fault..blah blah blah. If they didn't come, or if they just talked to the closest neighbors two days after the accident and didn't take any pictures, then it wouldn't matter how many people it happened to, it would be a legitimate topic of a story. The cruise industry doesn't necessarily deserve people blindly coming to its defense just because they enjoy cruising.

My particular problem with the article was the implication that all 200 people mentioned must have died by foul play. There was not a hint that any of the 200 might have got drunk and made a bad decision or felt suicidal.

Neither.

Your hippo-thesis proves nothing, because the report doesn't mention how many of those people killed by hippos were on cruise ships at the time.

I'll wager it was less than half of them.

That "less than half" of the 500, upon which you are willing to wager, could still be well over 200 - so you seem willing to accept my thesis; I thank you for your support.

My particular problem with the article was the implication that all 200 people mentioned must have died by foul play. There was not a hint that any of the 200 might have got drunk and made a bad decision or felt suicidal.

Good point - virtually every well-reported instance of "death by cruise ship" seems to involve alcohol or suicide .

That "less than half" of the 500, upon which you are willing to wager, could still be well over 200 - so you seem willing to accept my thesis; I thank you for your support.

Touché, mon brave. ;)

Desperately sorry for the family but the headline is a little OTT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4626836/Rebecca-Coriam-s-family-hundreds-without-answers.html

Agreed, the headline is a bit over the top and the mention of the 200 cases actually takes away from the point of the article which is what happened to this young women and how possible crimes on cruise ships are handled. I'm glad for my American cousins that the FBI takes charge for any crimes against U.S. citizens. I'm not sure if I'd want Liberia, or The Bahamian police forces investigating a possible crime against one of my loved ones including my pet hippo.

I've read this article at least 10 times here on CC. The "event" happened in 2011 - 6 years ago. Every time I read it there is something new to add just to embellish and sensationalize it.

My DH had a co-worker. He said he would never go on a cruise again (after the first). You know why? Because the room steward stood in the hallway and watched his wife coming and going so that as soon as she was alone he could go to her cabin and rape her. He never let her out of his sight. All other crew members were doing the same and working together. Watching her, just waiting to rape her when she was alone. I told him he had serious issues and needed help. Needless to say, we never talked again.

Oh, I asked him if it had occurred to him that the crew member was standing in the hallway watching so he knew when to clean their cabin. NO! That was not the reason. He had read the articles about all the rapes and murders on ships. I asked him if it was really so why so many people still cruise. His answer: I don't know but it will never happen to my wife. I had to follow her everywhere. I couldn't allow her to be alone. I'm thinking hubby had serious trust issues with his wife.

I've read this article at least 10 times here on CC. The "event" happened in 2011 - 6 years ago. Every time I read it there is something new to add just to embellish and sensationalize it.

My DH had a co-worker. He said he would never go on a cruise again (after the first). You know why? Because the room steward stood in the hallway and watched his wife coming and going so that as soon as she was alone he could go to her cabin and rape her. He never let her out of his sight. All other crew members were doing the same and working together. Watching her, just waiting to rape her when she was alone. I told him he had serious issues and needed help. Needless to say, we never talked again.

Oh, I asked him if it had occurred to him that the crew member was standing in the hallway watching so he knew when to clean their cabin. NO! That was not the reason. He had read the articles about all the rapes and murders on ships. I asked him if it was really so why so many people still cruise. His answer: I don't know but it will never happen to my wife. I had to follow her everywhere. I couldn't allow her to be alone. I'm thinking hubby had serious trust issues with his wife.

Are you saying that these types of articles don't necessarily cause the type of issues your DH's co-worker has but they kept at least one person with issues from possibly being on one of your cruises? And one of mine too?

I don't know about you, but one less cruiser with issues on any of my cruises would be a blessing!

Maybe the next artilcle should be about how cruise lines throw chair hogs into the brig. :)

Only glanced at it quickly but I noted at least one: The reporter lists several "countries/flags of convenience" where ships are registered. Libya is one of the countries listed -- that should be Liberia.

Nothing remotely as organized as registration of ships has been going on in Libya for some time.

This is doubly lazy research on the part of the author. Not only did she mis-type Libya for Liberia, she completely missed the fact that no cruise ships are currently registered in Liberia, and haven't been for a few years. Only cargo ships are currently registered in Liberia. (http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/758-cruise-ship-registry-flags-of-convenience-flag-state-control)

Are you saying that these types of articles don't necessarily cause the type of issues your DH's co-worker has but they kept at least one person with issues from possibly being on one of your cruises? And one of mine too?

I don't know about you, but one less cruiser with issues on any of my cruises would be a blessing!

Maybe the next artilcle should be about how cruise lines throw chair hogs into the brig. :)

I was saying these crazy articles put ideas into people's heads where there really is no issue. We all know that vast amounts of people aren't raped and murdered every cruise. This guy truly believed the room steward was stalking his wife. That the waiter was going to drug her (and the rest of them) so that they could get access to their money. I assured him he was wrong and he told me that I was the idiot. He was one of those people that is big and tall and "leans" into people to make his point. He intimidates them to make his point. If people really got raped and murdered at the rate he was saying there would be no cruising industry. He was an idiot. Yes, no loss to the cruising industry losing him as a customer. She divorced him a few years later.

Yes, no loss to the cruising industry losing him as a customer. She divorced him a few years later.

Yikes. Sounds like this guy had WAY more issues than tissues. Your description reads like a textbook psych eval of an abusive partner.

I hope she's happier now.

Good point - virtually every well-reported instance of "death by cruise ship" seems to involve alcohol or suicide .

Yeah,but thank God the ratio of spontaneous human combustion has leveled off, though.:rolleyes:

I was tempted to say that people should not be allowed to board a hippo. ;)

But then, if people are willing to pay for their room and board, I guess it's okay. :confused: