Cell Phones

I'm starting to read on threads that people are using cell phones at lunch and dinner. Not only it's rude but no one is that important as they think---and why should they ruined your dinner because they feel a need to talk to someone on the phone. I think Regent should ban this during dining. If they feel a need to talk to someone not at their table, they should go to their cabin and make the call. I really hope Regent does something about this before it gets out of hand.

Rick, this really isn't a big issue on Regent - we have only encountered this one time but I assume that it may happen more on Caribbean or Alaska itineraries. I will make a point to notice it on our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Regent isn't big on forbidding anything as their customers are usually well traveled adults that know better. I would like to see cell phones mentioned in the daily Passages. If it is a problem in a restaurant, perhaps the Dining Room Mgr. can discreetly deal with it. This reminds me of chair hogging - it normally isn't a problem (except in the Caribbean) and there is a policy against it but they haven't put any "in your face" notices -- just enough emphasis to people that may not know better.

I definitely feel that cell phone use has no place in any restaurant -on land or at sea!

While I've been guilty in the past of using my phone in casual dining establishments, I've never place or received a call in a 'nice' restaurant...and I'd never even consider making a call in any of Regent's dining venues.

There's a big difference between checking in on the kids at TGIFridays and blabbing away in Compass Rose. I agree that any phone calls should be discretely handled by the dining room staff. Of course, in a perfect world, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I think I could take a little texting over talking and talking over the 48 people in Compass Rose with three foot selfie sticks and taking 80 or more of flash pictures at dinner on my last cruise

I think I could take a little texting over talking and talking over the 48 people in Compass Rose with three foot selfie sticks and taking 80 or more of flash pictures at dinner on my last cruise

I kind of understand the flash pictures - that is fairly normal and I doubt that Regent would care about it. But selfies with three foot selfie sticks is a bit much (but I still don't see Regent restricting their use). Talking photos is a momentary thing (and most people should know to use a mode that does not flash) while talking on a cell phone can be disturbing for long periods of time.

Taking photos is a momentary thing...

Eighty or more flash pictures during dinner is a "momentary thing"??

Eighty or more flash pictures during dinner is a "momentary thing"??

I suspect that this is not the "norm" (at least we have never been it in all of our cruises). It seems that everywhere we go in the world people are taking photos and "selfies". Like I said, most cameras have modes (mine is "museum mode") that prevents the flash from going off. Still, I cannot compare flash photography to the loud discussion that was going on when people at the table next to ours were doing Facetime and everyone was passing the phone around so that everyone could speak to the person at the other end.

Eighty pictures is momentary? 😆 I think one or two would qualify for momentary.

Please see my last post a I already responded to Silver Sweetheart's post. Eighty pictures is not momentary but it is extremely unusual!

On our last Regent cruise on the Mariner a couple months ago, we noticed that the tables in the CR seemed to be further apart than they were on the same ship two or three years ago. In addition, we definitely noticed more tables for two than before. As uncrowded as the CR was, I honestly don't know if anybody took or made a cell phone call there. If somebody did so, the conversation wouldn't have been any different from customary dinner conversation.

But I have a question. My cell phone does not work at sea. Has somebody figured out a "cell phone trick" that I haven't?

Interesting. Is the phone a non GSM phone? You should be able to pickup CellularatSea or the equivalent signal. Of course then you get their extra wonderful rates.

Do you have a toggle/option in your phones settings to allow other networks and or roaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting,

We have an iPhone, and it probably has those features -- we just don't know how to use them. We are"Gold Status" and have generous included use of the room phone to "phone home". And we don't have anybody we really neeed to reach via phone until after dinner.

But I have a question. My cell phone does not work at sea. Has somebody figured out a "cell phone trick" that I haven't?

Beside the direct "cellular at sea" that will connect most newer phone, you can call thru the ship WiFi system. On Apple IPhone you can use Facetime voice or video to call other with Apple product. Android you can use Skype, Google Hangout or voice, Facebook, WhatApp.

Me, Personally I have a dedicated Google Project FI international phone that works just about everywhere.

J

41/602

I know that the phones in the suites were once "ship to shore" but haven't inquired recently if that is still true. But returning to the OP's original subject, we have never noticed anybody on a cell phone in the CR. If they kept their voice down to normal "dinner conversation" level, we wouldn't notice. But I have noticed in other places that some feel they need to "yell" into their cell phones. That would be disturbing in the CR.

As stated previously, cell phone usage on Regent is generally not are issue (nor are passengers taking 80 photos at dinner). In general, we have noticed that people on cell phones speak very loudly which is definitely a nuisance. On the other hand, cameras are quiet and only have a flash that some sensitive people may not like. Also, most Regent repeat customers have at least some amount of included phone time (Regent's phone - not cell phones). IMO, at least at this point, cell phone usage on Regent ships is "almost" a non-issue!

We have only seen someone use a cell phone in CR once and recently but it was noticeable because they seemed to need to raise their voice! It is likely to remain an isolated incident (we hope) as the Regent demographic consists mainly of an age/social group where it is still (correctly IMO) regarded as discourteous. I should add that the incident occurred while we were in or just leaving port so that there would have been a shore-based signal.

I have not seen cell phone chatting in CR at anytime. I have seen some photos or snapshots of pictures being taken which is no big deal. We certainly don't want ship photographers roaming the dining room.

I agree with that. Snapshots are okay, 80+ flash photos not so much, ship photographers absolutely NOT.

I have not seen cell phone chatting in CR at anytime. I have seen some photos or snapshots of pictures being taken which is no big deal. We certainly don't want ship photographers roaming the dining room.

Like on Crystal[emoji6]

Seabourn was the only line I've seen a cell used in the dining room during dinner. Then the person was just reading. Not gabbing on about needing to do a property transaction before the ex or her attorney got wind of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk