Quebec City Overnight - Suggestions for things to do at night?

TeeRick

We will be in Quebec City Sept 30-Oct 1 on Celebrity Summit which stops for an overnight. Looking for evening suggestions. Is it safe at night near the cruise port? Dining suggestions? Shows? Anything unusual at night or can't miss?

I can't think of anything specific, but we found it completely safe to walk around the area at night. I would walk up to the Chateau and enjoy the view all lit up at night. Wander the city, enjoy some of the local fare. Take the ferry across the river for some beautiful shots of your ship with the Old City in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately almost all our QC visits for 7+ years have been work-related, so entertainment consisted of 'networking' (always well-lubricated!) and even dining was mostly pre-booked for the group. I did get to wander about during the day by myself but we were never looking for 'dinner and a show' or other evening entertainment, so can't help you there.

On the resto front though, I would happily return to Le Continental and St Amour (both up top, close to Chateau Frontenac), Initiale and Laurie Raphaël (close to the port, especially the latter) - all of these are high end Quebecois restos (locally sourcing produce, but fundamentally classic French in technique and most recipes).

On the cheaper end Le Lapin Sauté (just beyond the funicular, bistro fare and very good value for the quality; as the name suggests they offer several rabbit dishes) is my Always Do for solo lunching while the missus is in meetings as she loves live bunnies. Pub St Alexandre offers a decent variety of local beers, Inox is a nice local brewpub, and Trois Brasseurs a modest chain with a few branches selling their own decent brews (their flatbreads are pretty good for lunch).

I'd also second the idea of taking the ferry - the views from the Levis side of the river are the views you see on postcards etc. and worth schlepping up the hill.

I can't think of anything specific, but we found it completely safe to walk around the area at night. I would walk up to the Chateau and enjoy the view all lit up at night. Wander the city, enjoy some of the local fare. Take the ferry across the river for some beautiful shots of your ship with the Old City in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for responding. The Chateau and ferry sounds like the thing to do.

Unfortunately almost all our QC visits for 7+ years have been work-related, so entertainment consisted of 'networking' (always well-lubricated!) and even dining was mostly pre-booked for the group. I did get to wander about during the day by myself but we were never looking for 'dinner and a show' or other evening entertainment, so can't help you there.

On the resto front though, I would happily return to Le Continental and St Amour (both up top, close to Chateau Frontenac), Initiale and Laurie Raphaël (close to the port, especially the latter) - all of these are high end Quebecois restos (locally sourcing produce, but fundamentally classic French in technique and most recipes).

On the cheaper end Le Lapin Sauté (just beyond the funicular, bistro fare and very good value for the quality; as the name suggests they offer several rabbit dishes) is my Always Do for solo lunching while the missus is in meetings as she loves live bunnies. Pub St Alexandre offers a decent variety of local beers, Inox is a nice local brewpub, and Trois Brasseurs a modest chain with a few branches selling their own decent brews (their flatbreads are pretty good for lunch).

I'd also second the idea of taking the ferry - the views from the Levis side of the river are the views you see on postcards etc. and worth schlepping up the hill.

Thank you for all of the dining and bar suggestions!

• 6 months later...

Was reading a restaurant review for Quebec City, the poster mentioned that The Keg Steakhouse was good.

Does anyone know if there is a Keg Steakhouse somewhere near the Cruise Port in Quebec City?

Actually looking for a place to eat Steak and Lobster tails that has a casual-type atmosphere, and hubby doesn't care for French, gourmet-type food.

We overnight in QC on a 10 day cruise, and would really like to have some Lobster Tail (that NCL doesn't serve on their Jewel Class ships anymore:().

^Only Keg's in Quebec are in and around Montreal. They're a reliable, decent chain of casual steakhouses, probably most famous for their prime rib. Several US branches now too. You certainly don't have to eat gourmet food in Quebec, but it would be a shame not to try some of the local grub - it's much more akin to French peasant food than fancy stuff, but it does take advantage of locally-available produce like maple syrup and some excellent cheeses. Lots of good cold-weather cuisine like pies (order a tourtiere rather than 'pate chinois', which is pretty much a beef shepherd's pie) and puddings (cakey things with sauce, not US-style cold custardy stuff) - if you see 'Pouding Chomeur' listed on any dessert menu give it a go, it's a very simple bread-pudding type dish, heavy on the maple syrup (assuming you have a sweet tooth!) that's very, very Quebecois.

But if steaks are what you crave, you'll find the usual suspects of international steakhouse chains - but I'd suggest at least trying to eat a wee bit more local. Any bistro will offer 'steak frites' (served with fries and a gravy - similar texture to a 'country gravy' you'd get with biscuits, but usually with options like peppercorn, mushroom, or mustard) - you could probably do a lot worse than trying Entrecote Saint Jean which specializes in steak frites. If you eat steaks rare or even better blue, it's a short step to a full-on beef tartare too... although my preferred spots for such tend to be swanky so I can't give any personal reccos that are likely to fit your preferred vibe.

Lobster I'm afraid I'm no help on as it's not something I particularly enjoy - gimme a nice dungeness crab any day of the week, but it's the wrong coast for those...