Books to read on the way to England?

islanderr

My wife and I will soon make our first journey to England, aboard the QM2. We'll also be staying in London and the Cotswolds for three weeks before the return cruise. We'd like to prepare a bit by reading books before or during the journey that will provide helpful context for what we are about to experience. When I mentioned this to friends, they suggested "The Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James and "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. I'm not talking about guide books that list places to visit. We're much more interested in books that help us understand the British people and their state of mind.

Any thoughts?

We're much more interested in books that help us understand the British people and their state of mind.

Any thoughts?

Try "Watching The English" by Kate Fox.

Jeremy Paxman's portrait of the English was witty and deep, so too Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. Fox's book is not deep.

There should be something like 'How xenophobic Brits welcome foreigners'. :D

Maybe you should write that one. Seems like you'd have something to say that the Paxtons and Brysons of this world haven't noticed.

Edited by Chunky2219

Maybe you should write that one. Seems like you'd have something to say that the Paxtons and Brysons of this world haven't noticed.

Maybe. At the moment I am feeding my cat.

Edited by Cats2010

I tend to like a little magic in my reading. I very much enjoyed Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (both the novel and the miniseries) and the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. I believe the first one is The Rivers of London or Midnight Riot. I also enjoyed London (or Londonium) by Edward Rutherfurd but found it to be a little dry and very long.

I'm not talking about guide books that list places to visit. We're much more interested in books that help us understand the British people and their state of mind.

Any thoughts?

Not sure that any book will help you to understand the British. I'm born and bred English for 65 years and I still struggle. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Like others, I would strongly recommend "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson.

Superb observation of the British, well researched, educational, extremely well written and very readable. To say it is witty doesn't even come close...

I hope you enjoy your crossings on Queen Mary 2, and your visit in the UK. Have a wonderful time :)

I'm not talking about guide books that list places to visit. We're much more interested in books that help us understand the British people and their state of mind.

Any thoughts?

Not sure that any book will help you to understand the British. I'm born and bred English for 65 years and I still struggle. Good luck.

Well said !!!

Are you interested in fiction, mysteries in particular? I have always felt they give great insight into society and class structure ( which, evidently, is still present.)

There are thousands of good British fiction writers. If you like this genre, please post again. I'm certain many of us have favorites.

Ricki