Road Trippers: How Much Leeway Do You Give to Arrive?

CountryGuy13

As I'm on the eastern side of PA, it seems I81 to 77 would work better for me (and it looks like it goes through a few state parks in WV), but might try your route now that we're going down a day early.

Good to hear your thinking of the I 81 to I 77 route rather than I 95. From CT to Florida I regularly took I 78 across PA to I 81/77/26 before rejoining I 95 near Charleston. It was over 100 miles longer than I 95 all the way, but missing Baltimore, DC and Richmond - as well as enjoying the Shenandoah Valley - made for a quicker, better trip.

As I'm on the eastern side of PA, it seems I81 to 77 would work better for me (and it looks like it goes through a few state parks in WV), but might try your route now that we're going down a day early.

If you can find a couple of minute's The view over Shenandoah from the Staunton V.A. Harley dealer's parking lot if fantastic.:hearteyes:

http://www.shenandoahhd.com

If you can find a couple of minute's The view over Shenandoah from the Staunton V.A. Harley dealer's parking lot if fantastic.:hearteyes:

http://www.shenandoahhd.com

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I suspect that the view from any Harley dealer's parking lot is fantastic for you. Especially the view to the inside of the Harley dealer.:D

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I suspect that the view from any Harley dealer's parking lot is fantastic for you. Especially the view to the inside of the Harley dealer.:D

The inside view alway's cost me .:o

We are from North of you near Toronto and have driven down to Florida using the I79 and I77 route to I95 many times. Very scenic route but a bugger in rain or snow. If it's bad weather we will take I75.

That is my plan this time as well. We had great weather on teh way down, but hit a lot of cold rain in VA and WV on the return, I told my wife after making it through, I felt like I just wrestled a bear. If I see rain I will definitely do I75.

I arrive for my cruise at least 24 hours in advance.

When cruising and in port, I am always back on the ship at least one hour prior to all aboard.

On time is late, early is on time.

That seems to be the consensus, my wife's getting Friday night covered by a co-worker and we're taking an extra day to spend in St. Augustine before the cruise (2 hrs away from Cape Canaveral).

Okay - just did a random "ita matrix" search for high traffic dates/times more than six months out. Found quite a few RT airfares at well under $400/person. So, we're still only talking in the neighborhood of $500 to $600+\- more to fly than to drive and that's still before adding parking and enroute meals during a drive. BTW, for many folks, that drive time addition of 10+ hours subtracts from a two income family's earning potential not to mention the negative impact on your first (very tired) day aboard.

AFAIAC, driving is still a losing proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP is cruising in August, 6 weeks not 6 months. You need to include transportation to local airport and transfers in Orlando. You also need to include checked bag fees. $400 might be doable.

OP is cruising in August, 6 weeks not 6 months. You need to include transportation to local airport and transfers in Orlando. You also need to include checked bag fees. $400 might be doable.

Cheapest flights (not including transfers) is about $300 a person, so $1,200 for the family. That also doesn't include intangibles like the stress of airports and loss of family time together (never mind a gorgeous drive if you avoid 95 and go through Shenandoah). Different strokes for different folks though.

We're taking folks' advice and taking the extra day, staying in a hotel by the beach the day before. I freely admit I'm less stressed now about the timing, so definitely appreciate that advice!

Cheapest flights (not including transfers) is about $300 a person, so $1,200 for the family. That also doesn't include intangibles like the stress of airports and loss of family time together (never mind a gorgeous drive if you avoid 95 and go through Shenandoah). Different strokes for different folks though.

We're taking folks' advice and taking the extra day, staying in a hotel by the beach the day before. I freely admit I'm less stressed now about the timing, so definitely appreciate that advice!

Not to stretch this discussion out but, for some folks, that extra time driving could be used to earn extra income, which would easily offset any cost difference.

Not to stretch this discussion out but, for some folks, that extra time driving could be used to earn extra income, which would easily offset any cost difference.

I don't know about you, but I don't work the kind of job where the 6 hrs saved flying instead of driving will offset an additional 1k in travel costs.

I don't know about you, but I don't work the kind of job where the 6 hrs saved flying instead of driving will offset an additional 1k in travel costs.

The difference was a couple of hundred dollars at most in airfare vs car gas/depreciation etc (which was about $1000 using federal reimbursement rate). And remember there's two working adults.

The difference was a couple of hundred dollars at most in airfare vs car gas/depreciation etc (which was about $1000 using federal reimbursement rate). And remember there's two working adults.

Huh???

DON

People should be careful using the federal reimbursement rate as that includes things like financing charges,taxes and fees and full depreciation. The first two are incurred no matter if someone drives to Flofida or not and some of the depreciation is not related to distance driven, but rather time. My '03 Windstar would still be worth almost zero today even if it only had 1,000 Km on it. ;) A more realistic cost estimate is likely closer to $.40 per mile, so 2,000 miles X $.40 = $800 not $1000.

Edited by DirtyDawg

People should be careful using the federal reimbursement rate as that includes things like financing charges,taxes and fees and full depreciation. The first two are incurred no matter if someone drives to Flofida or not and some of the depreciation is not related to distance driven, but rather time. My '03 Windstar would still be worth almost zero today even if it only had 1,000 Km on it. ;) A more realistic cost estimate is likely closer to $.40 per mile, so 2,000 miles X $.40 = $800 not $1000.

Okay. So OP's most recent post said $1200 in airfare search less $800 if driving. So that's $400 difference vs (someone else said 6 saved hours, which could be (possibly) earning more from work. With a working couple, that would make $400 divided by a total of 12 hrs, ergo $33/hr (net income required).

Of course, we've already established that OP prefers to drive. So, all this exercise does is to suggest to folks to do all the math if cost vs convenience is the deciding factor.

Okay. So OP's most recent post said $1200 in airfare search less $800 if driving. So that's $400 difference vs (someone else said 6 saved hours, which could be (possibly) earning more from work. With a working couple, that would make $400 divided by a total of 12 hrs, ergo $33/hr (net income required).

Of course, we've already established that OP prefers to drive. So, all this exercise does is to suggest to folks to do all the math if cost vs convenience is the deciding factor.

$400 would not get me to put up with all the hassles of flying.

Just moving all the luggage time after time X 4 :(

There is no way I would try it. I've driven/ridden back and forth quite a number of times, New England/Florida, without incident, but there was one break-down that required an overnight stay, and another time that the traffic on 95 in FL was dead stopped for hours because of an accident.

I would definitely allot an additional day, at least!

Sure, any analysis should start by comparing the relevant costs of each option. If you give up a day or two of wages by driving include it. If you don't, don't include it. If you have to eat more meals out by driving, include that cost too. Of course add to the flying cost the overpriced airport meals too.;)

After the dollars and cents analysis then you need to adjust forthe intangibles like if you love to drive and absolutely hate flying, or vice versa. Also evaluate to benefit of the realistic time saved flying vs. driving. In this case 16 hours driving vs. 6 (?) flying (the flight, check-in, TSA security, cab to the hotel, the wait for luggage etc.) What is that worth? Anything?

And I guess, lastly would you rather spend 16 hours in a car with your kids buckled in or 6 in a couple of airports and a plane when most ofthe time they are not buckled in! :eek: I still remember the joy :rolleyes: of waiting and waiting for flights with three young boys and trying to coral them and our luggage, car seats, and strollers at the other end. Total Bliss.:rolleyes:

Hi there

Since this discussion has morphed far from the OP's train of thought, I thought I might add ad few comments.

People forget to comment that in any comparison of costs relative to what someone could earn, any amount that is saved, is after tax income and therefore is of greater value than an equal amount of earned income.

For myself (and I presume others), I would gladly pay (real money), for the ability to avoid an airport. That would also increase the real value of any saving from driving. For the OP, since he says he likes driving, it would seem to be a no brainer. I would do the same.

I agree with those that feel he should try to find a way to give himself just a little more time but if can't he can't and he will more likely than not make it on time and have a great cruise.

when we lived in the same city, we planned it so that we arrived( after a nice breakfast at our favorite Mom and Pop join) as check in began.

we currently live 5 hours away and we will drive in the night before and will find a hotel that offers a park and cruise package, unless the cost of parking at the terminal is less.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no way I would try it. I've driven/ridden back and forth quite a number of times, New England/Florida, without incident, but there was one break-down that required an overnight stay, and another time that the traffic on 95 in FL was dead stopped for hours because of an accident.

I would definitely allot an additional day, at least!

Yep, my wife managed to get Friday night covered and we're taking a day in St. Augustine beforehand (and an easy 2 hour drive to Cape Canaveral).

Hi there

Since this discussion has morphed far from the OP's train of thought, I thought I might add ad few comments.

People forget to comment that in any comparison of costs relative to what someone could earn, any amount that is saved, is after tax income and therefore is of greater value than an equal amount of earned income.

For myself (and I presume others), I would gladly pay (real money), for the ability to avoid an airport. That would also increase the real value of any saving from driving. For the OP, since he says he likes driving, it would seem to be a no brainer. I would do the same.

I agree with those that feel he should try to find a way to give himself just a little more time but if can't he can't and he will more likely than not make it on time and have a great cruise.

Same here - I travel for business only when I have to anymore, as airports are generally a nightmare IMHO. I also happen to love the road trip with the family, but I can definitely see how many would hate it.

But yes, getting there a day early makes sense, I'm taking everyone's advice here on that one.

It's supposed a 12-hour drive direct from our hometown to Port Everglades. We have only driven it once. We stopped overnight near Port St. Lucie, about 90 minutes from the port. Going home was a different story. We had planned to do it in one day, but between a flat tire and nightmare traffic all the way through Georgia and into South Carolina, we ended up spending the night in Cheraw, SC--checking in after midnight.

I'm glad we had a cushion of time. When we have driven direct (to Norfolk and to Charleston), we aimed to get to the port at least five or six hours before sailaway time.

CountryGuy13,

Your best bet is always to come in the night before and stay at a hotel nearby.

There are a number of reasonable hotels in Port Canaveral not far from the cruise pier.

Comfort Inn & Suites just four miles from the cruise pier is $108 per night for 4 people, August 18/19. Not sure your exact dates.

There are many other choices, mostly under $200. It's worth a few hundred dollars to arrive ahead of time and be rested for your cruise.

Why put yourself through all that stress schlepping 14/16 hours and then get on a cruise ship, you'll be like mashed potatoes.

Arrive early. Stay the night. Have a great cruise.

Jonathan