Good but affordable family accommodations pre/post Miami cruise

We are looking at a 5 day cruise over Easter with 2 nights pre cruise (minimum necessity due flight length/possibility of snow storm etc) and 4 nights post cruise. With exchange rates, I'm trying to keep price down. I prefer a place with a kitchenette, a fitness center and a pool. Near a beach is nice, not sure if we will rent a car or not right now. Cruise is out of Miami and we will most likely fly into/out of Miami as well. Prefer to be in Miami or South Beach pre cruise. We stayed in South Beach 2 nights pre cruise a few years back, as we lucked into a good deal. Open to staying a little further away post cruise. Thanks

Rates at Easter can reach the moon. What do you consider "affordable" ? How many in your group? Young kids?

Have you priced a car rental? Staying a little away where parking will be included, like at one of the suite chains mentioned, might be something to look at.

I am beginning to rethink the 5 day cruise idea, because if prices reach them moon and I need a car that might end up undoing any savings from a shorter cruise. Option 2 would be an 8 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale - not sure if we are flying in and out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale - we also have to deal with hubby and son on Westjet (companion fare), daughter on Air Canada (she will have credit) and I may fly with her (she'll be 18 though). If we do the longer cruise - then we will just do 2 nights pre-cruise and probably still one night post. But then, the post cruise can be near the airport.

Budget - I start by trying to get under $150 a night, I handle $200 a night, depending on what it has and how nice it is. Over $250, better be pretty special. We have 2 kids, they's be 15 and 18, both in high school. We will probably be putting 4 of us in an inside cabin (to start anyway).

Budget - I start by trying to get under $150 a night, I handle $200 a night, depending on what it has and how nice it is. Over $250, better be pretty special. We have 2 kids, they's be 15 and 18, both in high school. We will probably be putting 4 of us in an inside cabin (to start anyway).

Traveling around any school break time is VERY expensive in Florida. You will not find anything under $200 and most likely will be above that. Nothing "special" at that rate. Even the generic hotels nearer the airports raise their rates. Do some number crunching and then adjust your budget. You might find a 7 day cruise with a day pre and post is more than you want to spend. You too need to check rates on flight options. We fly much cheaper into FLL than MIA from our home city. And don't forget transfers to hotels and ports from wherever. Coordinate/estimate all the needs...flights, hotels, transportation around, cabin categories etc. before you book even one of the group.

With four in a room, you might want to look at one with a balcony, opening up the space. 4 in an inside is dark and claustrophobic. :rolleyes:

Have you tried hotwire?

The discount sites are tricky because some of the preferred areas are large enough that you might require a car/cab/uber to get to anywhere other than their pool. But deals can be had for sure...with that gamble in mind.;)

I like LMTClub as it isn't a blind site. No risk.

Thanks. I booked my South Beach spot through LMT in 2014. If I do the longer cruise, I'm not worried about the last night as rates look like they are going down by then and we can stay near airport if needed. But March 29 and 30 are a little trickier - if we do fly into FLL and cruise from Fort Lauderdale, do you have any recommendations. I am looking at booking something I can cancel at this point, and will check LMT etc closer to travel (though I think rates will go up not down).

Under $200 around Easter in FLL will limit your choices to out near the airport - no where downtown or close to the beach. :( Some of the extended stay/suite places may accommodate your family. Start shopping now, book something that you can cancel without penalty, and then keep shopping. www.sunny.org is a good place to start.

Good point. I don't know the Miami area well enough to know the good locations!

The discount sites are tricky because some of the preferred areas are large enough that you might require a car/cab/uber to get to anywhere other than their pool. But deals can be had for sure...with that gamble in mind.;)

I like LMTClub as it isn't a blind site. No risk.

. But March 29 and 30 are a little trickier - if we do fly into FLL and cruise from Fort Lauderdale, do you have any recommendations. I am looking at booking something I can cancel at this point, and will check LMT etc closer to travel (though I think rates will go up not down).

I wouldn't wait to book. Rates will only go up. ;) I checked on LMT (great cancellation policy) and see the Hilton is $215 for your nights. That's a good rate and gets you into town and very close to the port. I'd have the kids save some allowance $ and they can take the water taxi around the area for a day easily from there. (It's not a bargain.) There's a trolley that can get you to the beach area too.

Too, I see there are several in the Dania/airport area under $200. But for two nights, you'll need uber to get anywhere. So figure $25-30 a day for transportation to and from the hotels. Some might offer kitchenettes or breakfast. So work it all out with amenities and location.

Hi - which Hilton is 215 a night and is it one where you know the hotel or where you have to "discover" it?

The Hilton Marina on 17th St. Standard room rate on your dates is $279 on their Web page.

LMTCLUB allows you to see the hotel choices.

Hyatt House Dania Beach would suite your needs. Might be higher than you want to pay, but breakfast is included and even a one bedroom suite has a kitchenette. They have a shuttle from FLL for free and the shuttle goes to tell beach a couple of times a day.

I would book direct on the Hyatt site to get it though.