Is there really no inexpensive way to get from the airport to the Port of Galveston?

Carleeb12

Galveston is a ways from Houston's 2 airports. The closest, Hobby, is about 45 miles and IAH is even further. We went in January and I was even considering renting a car for the week and just parking at the port. Amazingly it wasn't going to be all that pricey even calculating in the parking. I would suggest you go to the home ports board and search around for options.

We hired a driver with a large SUV for less than $150 to get us from HOB to the hotel in Galveston. He meet us inside and helped with the luggage.

We used the ship shuttle to get back to the airport.

So your $300 to/from for five doesn't seem all that bad.

The issue with a rental car is with five and luggage you would probably need two cars or a large SUV and then pay for parking for the week. I looked at doing just a O/W rental and still taking the ship shuttle back, but as I recall there are few rental locations on the island and they close at noon on Saturday and closed all day Sunday.

Edited by jamesr3939

Galveston is a ways from Houston's 2 airports. The closest, Hobby, is about 45 miles and IAH is even further. We went in January and I was even considering renting a car for the week and just parking at the port. Amazingly it wasn't going to be all that pricey even calculating in the parking. I would suggest you go to the home ports board and search around for options.

We found it was cheaper to do this because we were coming in late the night before. We found a park and cruise hotel with a free shuttle. It did seem silly to rent a car just to park it for a week.

My very first cruise was out of Galveston. That's when I learned (the hard way) to pay attention to the ground transportation logistics before booking! It's been a few years now, but we ended up renting a car and paying to park it for a week. At least it allowed us to see a little more of Texas and tour the space center on the way back to the airport. Still, I wouldn't choose Galveston again unless it was an ideal itinerary/ship/price.

Best of luck to you!

$300 divided by 5 = $60 round trip, $30 one way approximately 50 to 60 miles. 50cents a mile per person.

Doesn't sound too expensive to me when you consider the 19miles from JFK airport to Manhattan costs $17...about $1 per mile or LAX to San Pedro which is $16 for 17miles.

Closest airport to Port of Galveston is Houston Hobby. IAH is on the other side of Houston. You may consider staying in Texas City, about 10-15 min from Houston Hobby, and about 20 minutes from Galveston. You may consider using UBER. I've never used them but my niece uses them a lot and always had good luck with them. If staying a night pre-cruise, Texas City will be less expensive than Galveston, huge outlet mall, plenty of restaurants around.

$300 divided by 5 = $60 round trip, $30 one way approximately 50 to 60 miles. 50cents a mile per person.

Doesn't sound too expensive to me when you consider the 19miles from JFK airport to Manhattan costs $17...about $1 per mile or LAX to San Pedro which is $16 for 17miles.

If you flew into IAH it would be cheaper than that, as it is about 75 miles form there to the island. :D

I'm blown away at the prices that all the shuttles are charging. $300+ to get my family of 5 to and from the port?! I had no idea it would cost so much.

That is why we will never cruise from Galveston.

Check with the hotels in Galveston. We are negotiating a price right now with two different hotels to pick us up at the airport, shuttle us to the ship the next day, and return us to Houston Hobby after the cruise. We are looking at $500 for all of that for 22 people, which breaks down to $23pp.