Uncruise Hawaii Review/Report

Saving Up To Be Eccentric

For years I've seen Uncruise (or Un-cruise or InnerSea? or...) spoken of the "other" intra-islands cruise that nobody seemed to know much in the way of details, especially compared to POA.

But I've also been really curious about it, and the itinerary seemed like the right kinds of things were emphasized, so (with much trepidation) (and with some judicious shushing of my budget-minded ways) I booked a trip. And to my complete lack-of-surprise, there was no one on here who would join a roll call, so I was going in kind of blind. For those on the fence, I would offer some first-hand info.

The main point? Yes, I'd do it. Again. Even if it is more expensive. I had an amazing time.

Is it for everybody? Oh, heavens, no. I'll get into that more in a bit, but first:

Who the heck am I? Just your average run-of-the-mill penny-pincher (most of the time), trying to get the most out of every vacation dollar. I have some experience with the big lines, but this was my first small-ship cruise. I don't have the patience to lay out; to me, beaches are for having towels on when you're in the ocean, or building sandcastles, or walking. Experiences and learning are my thing (they don't have to be yours, but this WILL be reflected in my review, so we might as well address it). I'm no triathlete, but I can manage most 'vacation' hikes.

Cameras: Oh, boy, you don't want to know. Either a phone or whatever waterproof(-ish) camera I had at the moment. Seriously, if you want camera advice, don't ask me - it's not going to be of much help! Also, I'm going to be trying to figure out how to post pictures from a file sharing service, from seeing it done on other's posts. Wish me luck!

The first difference was actually in the booking process. Most of the lines I'm used to have a lot of information on every room, by the cruise line and by Other Reviewers Like You. The information I had to go on was this: Uncruise Safari Explorer.

And I realized that, while I have some pictures, there's a whole lot more that I don't have. :eek: But I can put some of it in perspective. And you, my dear readers, should expect that I was in the least-expensive room size. Not that it made a bit of difference as far as anybody else was concerned, and it's too small a ship as far as I can tell to really matter that much. For what it's worth, during our cruise, the upper deck was less crowded than the diagram shows, and the covered area is generous enough for seating for six in hefty-size chairs around a coffee table. The hot tub was covered over, though.

The center picture at the bottom shows three of the six tables in the dining room (the other three are half-booths). Yes, you can see the bar, the salon area to the right, and the small library behind the pillar. And yes, that's about it for common areas. On the other hand, we were a small crowd, and we tended to not be on the boat too much during waking hours.

I'm also used to the entire process being done online by an app. I actually had to talk to someone. If it helps, they're very nice. And they can split payments as you please.

They do have some online forms to fill out (which I didn't think to take screenshots of, and can't get back into them any longer, BUT it's a fairly simple GUI). The good part is that every section is separate and can be saved as you go. The bad part is that every section must be filled out completely before it will save.

You will need to know your incoming and departing flights AND the place you'll be staying at AND when/how you're getting to the hotel before filling out any of that section. It might drive you a little mad. But they do actually read it.

Other sections ask for things like passenger ID information, which I hope you already know, emergency contact info, any dietary restrictions, celebrations on board, and (in our case) shoe size. The shoe size is for flippers, which if you're bringing your own, you can tell them in a different section.

No worries, Patty, I should start experimenting with the photo links in the next installment of this. The next installment will be full of nice things to say, because on my second morning of my trip, I woke up in Volcano, Hawai'i, and good things happened.

However, today, I am going to let everyone know that I don't have a heart of pure cream and sunshine and that I don't automatically love everyone and everything. Especially air travel. Like poorly designed air travel hubs.

I speak of LAX. If you'd like to skip the autobiographical complaints, the important bits to know are in the paragraph at the end.

It was not my idea to go through LAX to Hawai'i. No, that was due to some circumstances beyond my control, and my flight is changed through LAX, without me actually knowing it was going to be LAX. With a one-hour layover.

"Oh, Saving Up To Be Eccentric," (those of you who are closer to sane travel hubs are thinking), "that's not so bad! Were there some kind of delays?"

Well, we landed on time, but that's not enough.

You see, LAX is the sort of airport on which planes can encounter traffic jams on the jetway (between the runways and the terminal). And construction delays. So that was about half of it. And then the airline sends people to meet you at the gate and lie to you.

"Lie is kind of a strong word, isn't it?"

Oh, possibly, but see, I was told that my connection had already left (but somehow my luggage managed to catch the ride), but that's okay because for all of us going to Kona, we had confirmed reservations on a later flight of a different airline going through Honolulu. Only we didn't.

The agents of the later flight let us know that we'd been forced into an oversold flight, and they weren't obligated to accept any of us as passengers because of the method that was used. Also of interest, possibly, is that they didn't check me through to the final destination, and this might be because that the connecting flight out of Honolulu the LAX folks originally indicated to the system that we'd be taking left hours before our flight was to arrive. This was caught and corrected later, but I wonder if that was done to convince the system that the change was still putting me at the destination within a certain time window, or if someone just wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Upon getting into Honolulu, I found people who were actually interested in customer service and directing people to their connections, which was refreshing, and got into Kona in just enough time to claim the luggage that was otherwise going to be locked up for the night (yikes!). And before you feel smug that you pack in carry-ons and therefore that couldn't possibly happen to you, my first flight of the day started gate-checking everyone's roller bag to their final destination at a certain point and there was no opt-out. Car rental had been made through the discount hawaii car rental site that everybody else recommends. Also, if you happen to be landing at the airport about the time you expected to be hitting the sack, you need three or more dollar bills to buy a single soda at the airport's vending machines. For lodging, I'd chosen a bed and breakfast/ cottage type place online, because it wasn't $380+ a night and was still available, unlike Volcano House, which has been reopened (if that's more to your liking).

Anyway, the way to get between terminal 6 and 7 from within LAX security is poorly marked, however, there is NO tram, train, bus, or pedestrian walkway connecting LAX terminals 1, 2, or 3 to B, 4-8 inside security, nor did I ever see good signage for the tunnels connecting terminals 4, 5, and 6. The connecting walkway between terminal 4 and their named international terminal opened this year, to the type of fanfare that will leave every other major airport designer scratching their head. Therefore, if you have a connection at LAX you NEED to have a good map (like this one). But if it is in a different terminal, you might be forced to leave the secured area and go back through security at a different terminal, with your boarding pass and ID - just like you started your flight at LAX, with the same lines. Especially if you're flying Hawaiian Airlines, since they're in terminal 2 and they don't connect to any of the B,4-8 ones (map).

A bit of a short update. Awoke in the morning, both jetlagged but rested, and thankful for it to still be morning after recovering from the previous day. Breakfast was at the Lava Rock cafe in Volcano, for the local rumored dish, loco moco (not to be confused with coco mocos. You'll be sadly disappointed). Filling, reminds me of diner food. Even if it was "exotic" diner food. It's not a bad thing, at all, it's just the low-key vibe. There's a fabric/quilt store next door that wasn't open yet, but stopped in at the gas station for snacks (since the grocery stores were all closed by the time the luggage was hauled out of the airport).

Next to Volcano National Park. If you also plan to visit not only Volcano, but also the place of refuge, and the Ohe'o Gulch area of Haleakala park, you should also look into getting the three park pass. It's good for a year to the three sites on two islands. The visitor center had a number of kids there, not just as family groups, but as a field trip. Time to hit the trails!

The first one, just right there, was the Sulfur Banks trail, and I didn't see anyone else. Except in a helicopter. It's lovely, and a very easy trail, but I wouldn't take anybody who was likely to dodge over the railings. They have a place marked where a kid was seriously injured by breaking the crust and making a new steam vent. But for those of you who don't feel the need to test your fireproof limits, this is a nice walk with some very eerie views, and if I'm being honest, some really cool sulfur crystallization: 31056735371_e5b3fbfdca_b.jpg

Edited by Saving Up To Be Eccentric
The links for the pictures aren't working right. Bear with me?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I suppose it should be noted that at the start of the planning exercise, we decided on priorities. Simply put, there’s not going to ever be “enough” vacation time for everything, and something will inevitably go awry with one’s plans. And so, each day was built around a “primary” objective (for example, Day 1: Get to Hawai’i), and sometimes up to two or three “secondary” goals. Everything else was deemed low priority for sanities sake and could be removed from the plans due to schedule without discussion. We’d had two secondary priorities for the first day , which were to visit Pu’uhonua O Honaunau (the place of refuge) and Punalu’u Beach. Going down to South Point and/or Green Sand Beach was a potential, but low priority.

So, where were we, again?

Right, wandering VNP.

If I haven't directed your attention yet to the website with the Maps https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/maps.htm, there you are.

We decided to skip the Jaggar museum for now, and come back later, as they stay open for night visitors. The night before, we could see the lava splashing in the crater from the road, and we REALLY wanted to get back there again tonight.

So, next on the list was the Thurston Lava tube, which is actually very well done. I wouldn't want to deal with the steps if I was in a LOT of pain, but there were handrails and everything.

31170507915_c6a0378c7a_z.jpg

What I’m guessing was the 'nonlit' section was gated off, so even though we had head lamps, it was the main section only. That being said, it was there and awe-inspiring. And oddly with as many tour busses as were parked there, not flooded with other people. Though if you’ve found time for other lava tubes, I’d be tempted to skip this one.

There's also an entry point here for the Kilauea Iki Trail, and yes, we walked down it to the floor, but we didn't do the entire round-trip.

31027149882_53d94e387b_z.jpg

Be warned: at the end of the day the electronics claimed we'd climbed over 55 flights of stairs & this was a good portion of it! Also, do stay on the trail (“Why,” you ask? Read on).

Next, we went along the Devistation Trail to the Pu'u Pua'i overlook.

31027151382_fb083f2f1e_z.jpg

Now, my travel companion had brought along a thermal imager. Which meant that we could look down at the crater floor ... and the people wandering off the Kilauea Iki trail and messing around right near a hot spot.

... It's an active volcano, for the love of anything you consider sacred! And if you decide to test to see if you are lava proof, do have your will and insurance up-to-date. *shakes head*

Anyway, the trail was extremely windy the day we were out, and I'd bought a cheapie straw hat on sale, then added a length of cord as a chin strap. Which is the only reason I still have it. This trail is also a very easy walk, but someone could drop you off at the lookout point and then pick you up the next parking lot down.

And that's when we got The Call. Didn't hear it at the time, we were starting down the chain of craters road by the time I could verify that the missed call was actually from Not A Spammer. We pulled off at the Ko'oko'olau crater (which isn't as spectacular as some others) to call them back.

Uncruise was calling us. Because *duh-duh-DUNNN* the ship was damaged on the voyage over to Hawai'i, and they'd needed to make repairs. Yikes! Fortunately, nobody was injured (yes, I asked; I'm on vacation, not heartless!), and they basically said that we were still going to meet at the initial time and place, and that they'd be dealing with the updated itinerary then.

*SPOILER ALERT* They did a great job dealing with the disruption.

Anyway, with the news that things weren't going to go exactly as planned, but that our part of the schedule hadn't changed, we continued down the Chain of Craters road. And it was an awesome scenic drive. The only thing that even vaguely compares to seeing the lava slosh in the caldera is seeing the steam plumes from where the lava flow is hitting the sea.

31134600946_a88fb4ca25_z.jpg

At the end of the road, there’s a ranger station (and a small store – cash only, I think) and an overlook to a large sea arch. I would advise against hiking out from this end to the lava flow, as it tends to be downwind. Even before things got unsteady and the massive shelf went into the drink. Pay attention to closures, and the helpful people at the ranger station would rather not see you get accidentally dead.

31026666342_2d71d7b2e6_z.jpg

If they tell you (when you go), that everything looks okay, then you can try biking out from the other side. Which, because it is mostly upwind of the nasty volcanic gasses, is much safer for your lungs.

We also hiked out to the petroglyph field. This is also very windy, and it is NOT well paved. Even following the markers, it's more of a rock scramble. I wouldn't want to do this with bad knees, is all I'm saying. The field itself is somewhat protected by an elevated walkway, but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s all smooth sailing. For reference, this is the last part of the 1.5 km walk out to the area:

30349146724_ca08470eab_z.jpg

31134608776_085bb0c91f_z.jpg

This day our priority was going to VNP and seeing active vulcanism (day and night), and our secondary goals were the hikes out to the petroglyph field and the Devastation Trail/crater overlook. We did look at other things in the area as possibilities for this afternoon, such as the lava trees, the macadamia farm, museums out in Hilo and other lava tubes in the area, but we chose to backtrack to Punalu’u – and were rewarded with a sea turtle chilling out on the beach!

30803681880_62c1c36465_z.jpg

If you look close, on this side of the lifeguard station, there's a squarish zone marked off with rocks and a white sign. Basically, 'Yo, Tourists! There's a turtle here. Please don't trip on it while not looking where you're going.'

30349656164_ea4d142913_z.jpg

30802728900_fe6f74e528_z.jpg

Then more tour buses pulled up, so we pulled out. We still had some time before sunset, so we returned to VNP to look through the art gallery (Eh, if you have a LOT more money and no way to blow it) and then to view the caldera during the day (Do This).

We went out to try to hit the local craft store again, but they’d closed early that day. But, seeing as we’d skipped a Real Lunch, we just went down one driveway and had a slightly early dinner at Thai Thai.

31171091375_8360dfbb8b_z.jpg

We had different types of curry, and they were both delicious.

Fortified, we went back out to Kilauea. The museum parking lot was jam-packed, and it was November. Also windy and cold(!) I wasn’t as impressed with the Jaggar museum, and their digital displays seemed to be on the blink, but it was a place to get out of the wind, and buy souvenirs.

31056730911_fa73276246_z.jpg

We were staying in Volcano again this evening, so we could stay about as late as we could stand it.

Day 3: East and Central Big Island

We woke up in the pre-dawn hours, but didn’t get out quite that early. Our main goal for the day was to make our Mauna Kea sunset tour (we did ours through https://www.hawaii-forest.com/), so we had until early afternoon to kill.

We drove into the town of Hilo and pretty much went straight to Rainbow Falls, because we didn’t quite know when they started showing up (other than “early”) – for us, we arrived about half an hour after sunrise, but wound up waiting until about an hour after sunrise, and that was to see them at the top of the falls.

31171462315_70b95494b0_z.jpg

It did give us time to read up on the local legend of the cave under the fall, and to walk back to the Banyan tree up at the top of the falls. I don’t know that you never need to be there at the crack of dawn to see the rainbow, but I could have done with breakfast, first...

So, then we went to Ken’s House of Pancakes. It’s something of a local landmark, and if it’s your kind of thing, try the crab cake benedict or the POG (pineapple, orange, and guava juice). Right across the way, though almost impossible to get to in any sort of straightforward manner from the parking lot of the restaurant, was Banyan drive, which leads to Lili’uokalani gardens. We were running a bit behind schedule, so we poked around, but didn’t stay too long.

30364123313_24dc8d5719_z.jpg

We also went to the Akaka Falls, which has a $5 ish parking fee, but no entrance fee. There are a good number of stairs through what’s a pretty amazing foliage canopy.

30350038494_77a961d65d_z.jpg

If you choose to do the loop the way they suggest (Kahuna first), don’t get discouraged at the second sign that says ‘to Kahuna Falls’ – you’re almost right there. It’s tough to see due to the angle, though you’ll hear it just fine. Anyway, the main falls are impressive, and you’ll find yourself taking the exact same shot as everybody else, but it will be Different because it’s Yours (I’m telling myself this).

If I was better equipped on time, I might have made a detour to one of the botanical gardens on the coast and skip the ones in Hilo, but I didn’t want to spend the time (only had until mid-afternoon to kill). We drove up the coast all the way to the Waipi’o Valley look-out.

31028113542_6b9423d7f8_z.jpg

(It was lovely; however, if I was planning an itinerary now for someone else, I probably would have scrapped this in favor a garden and the Pololu Valley trip from the next day. YMMV.) The time hack between highway 19 and the lookout is 15 – 20 minutes each way, plus time to gawk. On our return, we stopped at Tex Drive-In to sample malasadas (it was only three hours since a huge breakfast, so we didn’t really need a big lunch).

From there, we drove to Waimea, which is home to the ground center for the Keck telescopes up on Mauna Kea. Now, the lobby area is tiny and not terribly impressive. Except for David, the volunteer on duty; he was a phenomenal speaker, especially when he figured out that we were both space geeks.

30364150013_4f7731424e_z.jpg

If observatories are just nice things in pictures to you, you can skip it. If you’ve got space geeks in your midst, be prepared to lose at least an hour. We only left because we had primary goal plans.

Fix spelling

It was about half an hour between Waimea and our bed (B and B again) for the evening, over in Waikoloa Village. It was get in, use the facilities, get changed into layers, and then pull ourselves together for the evening. Most of the excursions to the summit of Mauna Kea will only advertise a few drop-off points, but if you call and talk to them, they can arrange other meeting points. As it happened, there was a shopping center with a coffee shop/cafe called Lava Java that they set as our meeting point, and that was maybe five minutes from where we were staying. They were there when we arrived on time, but we signed forms while the drivers were busy dealing with catering, so we didn’t hold up the operation. It was two mini-busses this time, each with a driver. There was something of a “Let’s Get To Know Each Other” time, but we weren’t the only ones who’d been up early and I might possibly have nodded off a bit... The first stop (only 45ish minutes later) was at the historic sheep station on Mauna Kea. While we were waiting for the food to heat, the fog rolled in. I don’t know that I’d ever truely seen fog do this before, but...

30364156043_e5e8ee1e66_z.jpg

The good news was that, as thick as it looked to be while we were eating (it was okay food – don’t expect it to be spectacular but it’s okay), we did get above the fog and clouds on our journey up the mountain. We stopped for a bit at the Very Long Baseline Array (radio astronomy doesn’t require night time, it was moving while we were there; probably in tandem with sites on the mainland www.nrao.edu) and got comfy in the borrowed parkas. Once we got to the summit area (which was another very bumpy 15 minutes), the sky was just beginning to show signs of coloration. They have gloves, and if your hands get cold (quite likely), ask for them. The clouds hid all of Maui but the summit of Haleakala. The actual true summit is considered sacred ground, and we were asked to stay off of it. “But there are other people over there,” said one guy in our group. “Maybe they’re natives and we shouldn’t interrupt them, then,” was the best rejoinder (I’m betting they were other tourists, but c’mon, show some respect).

31057228901_69edd9a332_z.jpg

After sunset, we went back down to the base station briefly, then to an adjoining parking lot for some hot chocolate and stargazing. We weren’t the only group in that parking lot, and the pitch sounded somewhat similar. So, yes, this tour worked for us, but don’t freak out if you’ve signed up through a different reliable operator. And after this tour, we were dropped back by our car, and managed to get to bed before falling to sleep.

link wasn't working

Enjoying reading your review. I briefly looked at the Uncruise, but felt it would be too much for my husband as he has severe arthritis in both hands that limit his flexibility. I knew he could not use a kayak or canoe and was concerned about the excursions. We are booked on the POA for Nov. 4 2017. We will have 4 days in Honolulu pre cruise and 3 day on Maui post cruise. Thanks for taking the time to post your review...

• 2 weeks later...
I briefly looked at the Uncruise, but felt it would be too much for my husband as he has severe arthritis in both hands that limit his flexibility. I knew he could not use a kayak or canoe and was concerned about the excursions.

For *most* of the included options, there's also a non-physical option, such as a zodiak ride, instead of a kayak. However, there was one or two snorkels that happened off the smaller boats. If he was unable to climb a ladder comfortably or hang onto a rope for the night snorkel, he probably would have had to stay aboard for those.

On the other hand, I understand wanting to know what you're getting into before hand, and there's a whole lot more on here about POA and those excursions, so you're bound to be able to find what will fit well with your interests. Hope you have a great cruise!