Outer pants recommendation

eastsideguy75

The pants need to be waterproof and especially sea-water proof. Not all ski pants behave well with seawater. The ski pants you are linking to look good, but unless you think you will have use for them for other reasons, I think they are a bit of an overkill (and an overspend!). I can't get your second link to work but hiking waterproof pants should do the trick.

Sailing pants will be just perfect for the job, as the good ones are waterproof, windproof, breatheable and sea-water resistant. I took sailing pants as waterproof pants on both my trips but I sail at home and I actually already had them. However, just as the ski pants, if you only need them for this trip it might be an expensive investment. But if you think you are likely to return (or do sailing at home) then they will do just fine.

I got mine online from Cabela's in 2010 and have used them on all my polar trips since then. Insulated so I have usually only needed to wear long johns underneath - not an extra middle layer.

I particularly like their internal gaiters because I have had shore landings where the water can be anything from ankle deep to thigh deep and the gaiters mean I have never had any water ingress into my thermals or socks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/women-s-clothing/women-s-bibs-pants|/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104122080/cabela-s-women-s-grand-teton-pants-with-primaloft-reg-4most-dry-plus-reg-and-4most-repel-trade-/1965259.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fwomens-bibs-pants%2F_%2FN-1115740%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104122080

hmmm that link might be too long to work - have tinied it http://*******.com/hm7gbjb

For our March, 2106 trip on the Fram I had good luck with my REI Gortex pants with polypro long underwear. I also wear them for fresh water sailing in the Upper Midwest. We were never soaked, but there was some spray on the landings. Several fellow passengers had waterproof insulated ski pants, and they said they were too warm for walking on shore. On several landings you could do 1-2 km hikes involving some uphills. I found myself stuffing the blue parka in my back pack.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend a rain pant with ankle zips to make it easier to get your boots on and off. Especially if you're traveling on a ship that doesn't have many benches in its mud room (e.g. Fram). Also, choose a material that you can move easily in, since some of the landing sites can involve steep hills or rocky terrain that requires a bit of maneuvering.

They absolutely need to be fully waterproof material, but unless you're booked on an intense expedition trip, you don't need to worry about the bottom closure. You will sometimes be stepping into water that's above the top of your landing boots, but if you wear the rain pants outside/over the boot, the pressure from the water will actually push the material against your leg. As long as the material is impermeable, it will actually keep the water out for up to a minute. Plenty of time to get to/from shore or to rinse off the penguin poop.

Also, skip any kind of insulation. It's easy to layer up if you're traveling in the colder months, but most of the summer you're unlikely to need a great deal of extra warmth.

I splurged on the LLBean GoreTex Stowaway rain pants for my first trip 5 years ago, and I've been extremely happy with them for both of my trips and the time in between (I've also worn them hiking and to outdoor concerts and events on rainy days). My only little complaint is that the model I own only has a single back pocket (no side pocket). I think that may have changed since I bought mine.

I wear a wool Helly Hansen Warm base layer, and then depending on the weather, either a fleece pant or a yoga pant, with the rain pants on top. I was planning to downgrade to a lighter weight base layer for warmer temperatures (~2°C) but I found that the HH Warm wicked well enough that it wasn't uncomfortable if I started sweating mid-hike.