Portuguese man o’ war return......

SailBadtheSinner

This seems to happen most often in May. That is one of the reasons besides the cooler water temperature that I avoid Bermuda the month of May. At Horseshoe Bay there are lifeguards and they are pretty good at warning people to get out of the water when man o war are sighted.

We were at Horseshoe Beach last Thursday and there were no lifeguards and the facilities were closed so there was no warnings posted. Access to the beach was down a very long and steep path. When we reached the beach, there was a man who appeared to have been stung multiple times and was headed for the hill. I remember thinking that I don't know how he's going to make it because it was a struggle for fit person and he seemed to be in extreme pain. All along the beach there were man o war washed up on the sand. We had our 2 year old grandson with us so we only let him go in the water up to his ankles, while all four adults watched the water around him and we stayed far away from the ones on the beach. The next day, we were talking to another family at dinner and they said that the man with the multiple stings had died along with another passenger who had either fallen or jumped from the very tall rocks that jut out the water.

We were at Horseshoe Beach last Thursday and there were no lifeguards and the facilities were closed so there was no warnings posted. Access to the beach was down a very long and steep path. When we reached the beach, there was a man who appeared to have been stung multiple times and was headed for the hill. I remember thinking that I don't know how he's going to make it because it was a struggle for fit person and he seemed to be in extreme pain. All along the beach there were man o war washed up on the sand. We had our 2 year old grandson with us so we only let him go in the water up to his ankles, while all four adults watched the water around him and we stayed far away from the ones on the beach. The next day, we were talking to another family at dinner and they said that the man with the multiple stings had died along with another passenger who had either fallen or jumped from the very tall rocks that jut out the water.

If two visitors to Bermuda had died in the ways you stated (in fact if two visitors to Bermuda had died from any cause) it would have been reported by the local press. No such deaths have been reported by either the Royal Gazette or Bernews.com. I doubt the story you were told at dinner was accurate.

I have read that the lifeguards are on duty between May 1 and October 31. Also this year there were renovations to the road and facilities that were scheduled to be finished on May 1. It was reported they would be open today, May 1.

As for the reports that two died I also doubt it. I read the Royal Gazette and Bernews every day and have seen nothing. Both are very good at reporting deaths or major injuries.

Jumping from the rocks, I have seen many do it and I have see major and minor injuries from that myself. It is foolhardy. Saw someone break their neck. The lifeguards attended to him. And called their EMS to transport. I have seen the lifeguards attend to jellyfish stings. Also when the lifeguards are on duty they will pick up any man o war laying on the beach.

Currently at Horseshoe Bay, no sightings of anything in the water or on the beach. Don't see any lifeguards today.

Water is a touch cool and there's some overcast. Waiting for the sun to come out. Some people are in the water.

Beach loungers are now $18, umbrella is $15, special, 2 loungers and an umbrella $45.77fe25b3a7fda6b1d2df75b7463f26b8.jpg

6e9f73c516a516ca2504f4df630dc954.jpg

b8e29b23cd811c7b8fde653ffb6bf792.jpg

d6719cf605cc0c41cf1a5981d122604b.jpg

e65c5c20e67bd9da5beb7b9f26a377bf.jpg

1d96d6406b820944e9130ab161886fee.jpg

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Currently at Horseshoe Bay, no sightings of anything in the water or on the beach. Don't see any lifeguards today.

Water is a touch cool and there's some overcast. Waiting for the sun to come out. Some people are in the water.

Beach loungers are now $18, umbrella is $15, special, 2 loungers and an umbrella $45.

Thank you. Many will appreciate this information.

Many thanks for the info on the beach rentals & internet access. Hoping the man 'o war business is long gone by the time I arrive at the start of June :D

We'll be back to Bermuda on Monday and Tuesday of next week. I'll report any unusual findings in or out of the water. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather was just beautiful yesterday and many people were in the water.

I took a walk along Horseshoe going through some Coves and came across the following, which were not in the water, so no need to worry.

03257900975372c1ad4243619c983a82.jpg8e951dcb8940267ed239e29114e23cc1.jpg

fae7be9c6512d9f8e22627254eb930af.jpg

8a3c47cbd7eff0b426993dfa8e6c0d77.jpg

35ae1ecf6a1d971c50ca63d8d36a8b91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good.The water looks beautiful. Are those Portuguese Man-O-War? They look so much different than I thought they would. I thought they had tentacles but instead they look like balloons. I wonder when they washed up? Cold water and those things are the only things making me question my choice to visit Bermuda in early June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband was stung by this creature five years ago at Long Warwick bay from toe to lips. He thought it was a child's toy and picked it up. :(

We were so scared.

He had red marks and it was itching for several days, but thankfully nothing worth happened.

Are there always that many people at the beach? That looks miserable. :o I was thinking of trying for horseshoe early on a Friday morning. I'll probably run into crowds like this won't I?

That's good.The water looks beautiful. Are those Portuguese Man-O-War? They look so much different than I thought they would. I thought they had tentacles but instead they look like balloons. I wonder when they washed up? Cold water and those things are the only things making me question my choice to visit Bermuda in early June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The man o war have tentacles. You can see them in my photo. Early June I can usually get acclimated to the water after a minute or so. When I went in May I couldn't. The Man O War seem less prevalent in June. I did not see a single one last June, went the second week. In June the lifeguards are on duty at Horseshoe and they do put out warnings if there are swarms of man o war. Also they pick them up from the beach. At Warwick Long Beach you are on your own.

5d63209ea28548eb1ef1292f5c905bbe.jpg