Yes or No Flying in on the day of Departure

ronandcarla

For us we have always flown on the day of departure by reason of going a day or more before is such an inconvenience, work schedules and an added expense; most of our trips have occurred in the winter and we always purchase insurance. On our last proposed trip we did miss our cruise because of a snowstorm and even with that it wouldn't have mattered going a day or two before because their were no flights. Now that we live in Florida that's not a concern for us, other than San Juan which we would still do the same thing. Is their anyone else out there who feel the same way or is it just us?

Living in Florida we've driven to the port day of a few times now, but before we moved here we never would've tried coming in the day of regardless of time of year. Nice not being rushed and it's worth the extra cost to relax and get the vacation started a day or two early. Personally not worth the risk of delayed or cancelled flights to save a few dollars.

Nope, never fly in the day of your cruise. Our first cruise was booked through a travel agent and they had us flying from Minneapolis to Chicago then into Orlando arriving around noon. As a infrequent traveler 14 years ago I was very hesitant. We had them rebook our flight to leave Friday at 4:30pm, we went to Dallas and arrived in Orlando around midnight.

While we were sitting in the airport Friday they closed down Chicago due to a snow storm. If we had not switched our flights we would have missed our cruise.

We always fly in the day before on every cruise. Just one thing even if you fly in the day of your cruise. What if they lose one or all of your luggage? If you fly in the day before you have time to maybe regroup and gather what you need or forgot to pack before you leave.

On our third cruise while we were in the final leg of our flight down to Orlando I realized I had not packed any shorts. We had rented a car and I had time to do some shopping.

Plan for the worst and expect the best!

JorRum

NO...Do NOT fly in the same day! On our very 1st cruise, our plane got delayed in Atlanta and we barely made it to the ship. Fortunately we had purchased transfers so the staff was waiting for us and rushed us from the airport. We got there in the middle of the Muster Drill...had NO idea why everyone was running around in orange vests. It was NOT the way to start a cruise!

Another time, my flight to FL(not cruising) was just cancelled after we were boarded. 250 people had to find other flights from Ohio to FL.!! There were 2 cruise families on board that were pretty much hysterical. We all ended up being bused to another airport an hour away for more flights. Hopefully they made it. Again, NOT the way to start a cruise!

Anything can happen!

Each of us will do what we need to do depending on personal circumstances...sometimes there's no other option than to fly in very early morning of cruise day...but some on here just don't understand that situation.

• Like 1

We typically drive. With that said if we have the time we do like to plan to arrive a day or 2 early. that way if we do take an extra day driving its not a big deal.

When we flew to San Juan, it was less expensive to fly in the day before.

If and when we live near a port, I doubt I will see the need to stay the night before

I always fly in at least 1 day before. Too many things can go wrong, and not all of them reimbursable by travel insurance. For example, my wife left her green card at home for our 2012 cruise, and I had to drive home to grab the card while the rest of the family flies to Florida. I had to buy a full fare ticket to Florida the next day, but had I not left a 2 day cushion the whole family would have missed the boat.

Last flight I took to a cruise port involved an aborted takeoff and everyone having to be reaccomodated on later flights, then being told our luggage wasn't on the plane (mine somehow got an earlier, direct flight that I didn't get a seat on). I'd rather not have the stress of dealing with that AND having to deal with worrying about making the cruise or not.

In the case of a bad snowstorm, twice I've just turned up at the airport and said "hey, I'm supposed to fly out in the middle of that snowstorm ..." and both times I got accommodated on flights the day before. If there's room, they'd rather have a person get to their destination and not need reaccommodation when everything's about to turn to chaos.

The past two cruises that I was on departed from Los Angeles (2003) and San Diego (2005) respectively. We did fly in on the same day of the cruise, but it was non-stop Southwest flight to each airport from Sacramento respectively, and involved getting up at o-dark-30 to make a very early flight. Sorry, no "almost-missed-the-boat" stories here, but by the time evening rolled around, my mother and I were very tired.

The upcoming cruise will be departing from Vancouver, BC. I'm sure things have changed since 2005. There is no *BLEEPING* way I'm flying in on the day of the cruise. I checked, and there are NO non-steps from Sacramento to Vancouver. There is only one flight that will my mother and myself in by the check-in time. As it is, we will be flying in on Friday afternoon for a Sunday departure, and that's only because I'm returning from a road trip for a total solar eclipse.

The question is.... how far away are you from the port? Will you be flying or driving?

Each of us will do what we need to do depending on personal circumstances...sometimes there's no other option than to fly in very early morning of cruise day...but some on here just don't understand that situation.

pretty sure everyone understands that sometimes for various reasons there may be no choice. It's just not ideal.

For us we have always flown on the day of departure by reason of going a day or more before is such an inconvenience, work schedules and an added expense; most of our trips have occurred in the winter and we always purchase insurance. On our last proposed trip we did miss our cruise because of a snowstorm and even with that it wouldn't have mattered going a day or two before because their were no flights. Now that we live in Florida that's not a concern for us, other than San Juan which we would still do the same thing. Is their anyone else out there who feel the same way or is it just us?

If you fly from UK to US you have to fly day before.

In Europe we like to fly day before if there are flights to destination or on day if not.

When we lived in the Orlando area and sailed from Pt Canaveral, we always drove the less than one hour trip the day of the cruise. No big deal. If sailing from Ft Lauderdale or Miami, we would drive down the day before.

Now, living Upstate NY, I usually fly a couple of days early. Usually, I cruise in the winter, so coming from here can be tricky. There are also other factors, albeit not things that would happen every trip.

Last January, I was flying from Upstate to Ft Lauderdale via Baltimore. My flight arrived in Baltimore and I had a considerable layover. It happened to be the day the shooter was at the Fort Lauderdale airport and the airport closed. Long story short, I was flown to Orlando instead and arrived with no luggage. My flight didn't get to Orlando til 11PM and by the time I filled out the lost luggage claim etc. it was after midnight.

My sister, with whom I was sailing, ended up in Orlando also even though her flight was from Birmingham. We had to drive to Ft Lauderdale the next day and I still had no luggage. Had I been sailing the day of the flight, I'd have missed the ship entirely or if I were sailing the next day, I'd have had no luggage.

I ended up going to the Ft Lauderdale airport at 7PM after we were told my luggage was in Ft Lauderdale and would be delivered to the ship. I was afraid that wouldn't happen as I had been told initially that my luggage was in Ft Lauderdale and would be delivered to the hotel, which didn't happen.

So, would I take the chance of flying in the day of the cruise? No way. I will continue to fly down to FL at least one day but probably 2 days before the cruise. I look at it as part of the expense of a cruise and a couple of extra days of vacation.

Living in FL we drive to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami the day before and enjoy a nice evening out. When we cruise from Port Canaveral or Tampa we drive there the day of.

Have read stories on CC of Florida residents getting caught in construction or tied up by traffic accidents and missing their cruises from South Florida.

PC or Tampa we know multiple alternate routes so not a big problem.

Stressful enough snaking thru the lines to board, without traffic hassles.

Not in my wildest dreams would I fly from snow country in the winter the day of. That is asking for trouble.

If I am going out of Baltimore or Miami I will go in the morning of sail. If it's Ft Lauderdale,New Jersey the day before. Will never sail out of San Juan again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Curious as to why you'd never sail out of San Juan again? We're thinking of it so love to hear your opinion.