Sihanoukville Cambodia

hylasgirl

Sihanoukville has a number of beaches close to town, it's Cambodia's main vacation resort.

Some years ago we negotiated a van (ridiculously cheap) to take us to Ream Nat Park, the straightforward drive about 35 minutes but we meandered a little to take in a waterfall & other sights.

From the beach near the Nat Park we took a long-tail boat out to the island of Koh Ta Kiev (aka Crusoe Island, but google Koh Ta Kiev to avoid confusion), about 20 minutes.

This island is a get-away-from-it-all place - some overrnite bungalows, a bar, bathrooms, dive shop etc.

Back then it was in its infancy & quite Bohemian. I don't know whether it is now much more developed - that was the plan, but things develop very very slowly in Cambodia. :rolleyes:

There's lots of interest in the area and on the way to Ream, it'd perhaps be a shame to spend all your time on a beach.

We spent a very relaxing couple of hours on the island, but very much as part of day of exploration. Including an interesting but grubby and backward little fishing village midway between Sihanoukville & Ream.

Cambodia hasn't caught up with the 20th century, never mind the 21st. That fishing village was still in the 14th century ;p

JB :)

Sihanoukville has a number of beaches close to town, it's Cambodia's main vacation resort.

Some years ago we negotiated a van (ridiculously cheap) to take us to Ream Nat Park, the straightforward drive about 35 minutes but we meandered a little to take in a waterfall & other sights.

From the beach near the Nat Park we took a long-tail boat out to the island of Koh Ta Kiev (aka Crusoe Island, but google Koh Ta Kiev to avoid confusion), about 20 minutes.

This island is a get-away-from-it-all place - some overrnite bungalows, a bar, bathrooms, dive shop etc.

Back then it was in its infancy & quite Bohemian. I don't know whether it is now much more developed - that was the plan, but things develop very very slowly in Cambodia. :rolleyes:

There's lots of interest in the area and on the way to Ream, it'd perhaps be a shame to spend all your time on a beach.

We spent a very relaxing couple of hours on the island, but very much as part of day of exploration. Including an interesting but grubby and backward little fishing village midway between Sihanoukville & Ream.

Cambodia hasn't caught up with the 20th century, never mind the 21st. That fishing village was still in the 14th century ;p

JB :)

Thank you so much! Yes, after looking around, I agree.... it would be a shame to only spend time on a beach. It's a place with little information other than it's a place to visit the beach. lol I have contacted one tour company to see about pricing and what we can do for the day.

SaveSave

Spent 2 weeks in Cambodia at start of May. Had the unfortunate experience of staying in Sihanoukville for 2 nights. Its an absolute dive. Spend as little time there as you can. I was there as I was flying out of it but was also pre warned about its beauty and such.

we will stop in this port next year

please re post after your visit and let me know what you found

hopefully better than Monk86

Will do... We are here for a long port day and I really don't want to just sit on the ship... we've gone ahead and booked with Sihanouk ville sea side tours... website is the same name. There are some decent reviews out there so we'll see. I'll try and remember to post a review back here after our visit.

• 4 weeks later...
Will do... We are here for a long port day and I really don't want to just sit on the ship... we've gone ahead and booked with Sihanouk ville sea side tours... website is the same name. There are some decent reviews out there so we'll see. I'll try and remember to post a review back here after our visit.

Was at this port in December 2016. We chose one of the taxi drivers that swarmed the transfer bus in the market. He was amazing. He took us in an air conditioned Lexus SUV to a temple (before the crowds), a fishing wharf with traditional fishing boats and fermenting fish, and to a lovely resort on the beach for a drink and speedy wifi. It was a wonderful day, sorry, I don't have his name. He was young and his English was excellent. All this transportation for $40USD. We gave him a generous and well deserved tip.

Was at this port in December 2016. We chose one of the taxi drivers that swarmed the transfer bus in the market. He was amazing. He took us in an air conditioned Lexus SUV to a temple (before the crowds), a fishing wharf with traditional fishing boats and fermenting fish, and to a lovely resort on the beach for a drink and speedy wifi. It was a wonderful day, sorry, I don't have his name. He was young and his English was excellent. All this transportation for $40USD. We gave him a generous and well deserved tip.

The resort was called The Sokha Beach Resort, nearly forgot to mention;). Lovely property.