Capilano vs Grouse Mtn

We have about 48 hours over the course of 3 days in Vancouver before we get on our cruise in July. We arrive midday Friday and will be getting on the ship midday on Sunday. Based on time, energy and money, I pretty much think we are going to do either Grouse Mtn or Capilano bridges. Which do you like better for a family of 5, kids between 8-12? I was feeling pretty convinced we would do Grouse on Sunday morning before boarding, but now I'm wondering about Capilano Friday evening. If Sunday, it's possible that the rest of our group (9 more adults) will be joining us.

Right now, we are also looking at walking down to Gastown, Fly Over Canada/Canada Place, and Granville Island. Does that sound like enough to do without exhausting ourselves and still giving us the decent sense of the city?

Grouse has Stuff To See in spades over Cap. At Cap you have a bridge - it's long, it's historic, and it's hoaching with fellow tourists most hours. They have added a treewalk (smaller bridges up in the trees) and a cliffwalk (semicircle 'glass floor' over the edge of the canyon, but really everything there is about the gorge. Pretty, nice to see, but not exactly enthralling to kids for any length of time. Grouse has bears, wolves, lumberjack shows, multiple dining choices, movies, cablecars, birds of prey... the value for money vastly outstrips Cap. Plus - views, good ones, across Vancouver and much surrounding countryside. Views at Cap are... well, let's just say there's less on display.

Unless your party would enjoy seeing a bridge more than all of the above - it's a total no-brainer as to which to prioritize IMO. And if you are all keen on bridges - go to Lynn Canyon instead. It's free, and with 5 of you not needing suitcases easy to find a cab that will fit you all. Total metered fare there and back from downtown would run approx. $50 incl tip each way, which does allow for some traffic delay - when you compare to 5 entry fees at Cap a huge bargain. Drive time is about the same - 30mins from downtown core.

Plus the Ecology Centre at Lynn is actually informative and entertaining - there are talks on various topics, exhibits about nature and human history of the area. I had my family up there just last week - and everyone from the one-year-old (who liked the free puppets and animal toys in the play area) to my 70+ parents had a great time, including the ones who would not cross the bridge. At Cap, the only thing on the near side of the bridge is the cliffwalk (if you won't cross the bridge, not much chance you'll enjoy that either).

Friday evening would be the best deal at Cap - after 5pm it's discounted. But it still ain't cheap. Gastown/Granville Island are a very easy-paced day, and FlyOverCanada is only 30mins - consider booking that and the Gastown walk for embarkation morning or Friday evening, and Grouse/Lynn/Cap Saturday along with GI.

A HOHO tour for Saturday would cost about the same as a Cap or Grouse visit for all and give you an actual grounding of the city (at least the downtown parts). These include Stanley park stops - IMO the single most defining thing about Vancouver - Granville Island, Chinatown, Gastown, West End, etc. etc. etc.

I definitely agree

Grouse Mtn should be a full day adventure - the loggers show & birds of prey show are excellent - take time to listen to the ranger talk about the Grizzly Bears Koola & Grinder...

Watch the movies... ride the chairlift for wonderful views out over Vancouver ... all included in your ticket... I always spend a full day on the mtn when I go with my Grandsons...

Zipline, Windturbine (extra fees)

My favorite attractions are

Grouse Mtn

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Stanley Park

Gas Town

Granville Island

Fly Over Canada

Queen Elizabeth Park

Maritime Museum

See below for additional ideas

This is what I would do....

Friday arrival

• arrive and drop luggage at hotel
  • Granville Island is best explored before 6pm
  • evening in Gastown and Fly Over Canada that operates until 9pm

Saturday

• head over to the Pan Pacific / cruise terminal to board the free Grouse Mountain shuttle
  • 4:45pm catch the Grouse shuttle to return to the city, HOWEVER request to be dropped off at the Capilano bridge (5 minutes away from Grouse on the return shuttle)
  • 5pm Capilano Suspension Bridge offers a 30% evening discount rate
  • 8pm park closes and last shuttles to downtown
  • over to Bella's for some great Gelato after dinner!

Sunday

• embarkation with dreams on returning to Vancouver because you ran out of time.

Thoughts....

• My friends prefer Capilano Suspension Bridge more. Known for some as the 8th Wonder in the World. In Winter the bridge becomes bottomless in the darkness.
  • young children may have problems with heights and refuse to cross the bridge. Poor value.
  • You may choose to split the party up on the Grouse return shuttle. Those that want to see the bridges can get off at Capilano.... while those afraid of heights can return downtown on the Grouse shuttle.
  • have you heard about the bear breakfast for kids? Note, you need to bus or taxi there in the morning as the shuttles don't run that early.
    https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears
  • Grouse offer's a VIP deck on their Gondola's now for a bigger view. Yes it does cost more.
  • Going to Grouse on Sunday morning is poor value.... you will be missing out on the afternoon shows. I would recommend Granville Island Sunday morning instead.

pJdkKFNLYOE rx-ClLHK3Yg RJZcYalXkPg zutUe_0X3PA j1CrFihPqP0 KkohpnJ-Zxs

Edited by xlxo

Love Grouse Mountain!! The views are amazing... Cap suspension bridge good. They are very close to each other.... You can do Cap Bridge Park in about 90 minutes and then could go to Grouse..... I'm a local and have done both in half a day before. I would think about it you are going to do the Mt. Roberts Tram Way in Juneau ... would be very similar to Grouse Mountain sky car. So would be doing the same thing twice just with different views.