Ship excursions-Society Islands & Tuamotus

mjthecruiser

Sailing is only 3 months away! Time to get serious about which ship's excursions to book next month.

Which excursions have you been on that we should definitely NOT miss?

Any that we should definitely miss?

What excursion on Bora Bora is best for encircling the island on the water?

May I suggest you go through threads that were from the last 6 months, lots of info to glean from.

Generally you will want to do a circumnavigate of the lagoon on Bora Bora.

The ships tour BRB-1602 is one of the top ones during your entire cruise.

On Rangiroa I would suggest RGI-1784

I was simply answering the OP's questions meaning 'ships excursions'

Yes there are wonderful private excursions as well. In the case of Bora Bora if you want the best snorkeling opportunities and nothing more I would agree with flightmedic555. If you want the ambiance of the whole experience of a lagoon tour I would go with the ship's tour as I mentioned. You go in a outrigger canoe, hit 3 nice snorkeling locations, ukulele playing on the outrigger and during lunch. BBQ lunch on a motu overlooking Mount Otemanu including a pig cooked in the ground, most times lobster on the BBQ and all the extras including champagne/beer/rum punch/sodas/water. It is what most think/imagine of doing while on Bora Bora.

The ship's excursion is with Maohi Nui (Patrick), probably the best known of all excursions on Bora Bora.

It depends on how much you are water-oriented, or whether you like being on land and experiencing some of the culture, and perhaps hiking. I like a balance myself, although I admit I haven't done any of the hiking trips (too hot.)

My all-time favourites include the Stingray Ballet on Bora Bora, the 4x4 trip on same, on Moorea Dr. Poole's Dolphin trip, and any land adventure that includes the Belvedere (great views). Others like the Trails of the Ancients hiking trip on Moorea. I was impressed by the Aquarium on Rangiroa, which we did as part of a longer motu/snorkel picnic out in the lagoon.

The only circumnavigation I've done by boat was on Raiatea, and I found the boat part of the trip pretty monotonomous, frankly; and on Moorea with Dr Poole (which was an incidental result of not being able to find any dolphins, lol)--the scenery on Moorea is spectacular from out on the water.