Bus Pass/ Transportation- Bermuda June 22-25, 2017

newcruisad

Hello everyone- newbie here- need your advise.

We'll be in Bermuda from June 22 afternoon to June 25 afternoon. Our party- 2 adults and an 8 yr old.

1. Are bus passes better than hiring a scooter- can scooter accommodate (is it allowed as well) a child+ 2 adults?

2. Are buses very frequent and covering all places of interest?

3. if we go bus passes, someone suggested that instead of buying full price, finding a local and buying 80% or so used (or 4-5 days left) monthly passes that could be had very inexpensively- Has someone tried that? and how do I reach the locals. Are there people at the port offering to sell these?

4. I have tmobile postpaid phone/data plan in US- Do I need to buy a phone card for bermuda to use my phone locally? Which is the most inexpensive way to buy internet/data mins in bermuda?

Hello everyone- newbie here- need your advise.

We'll be in Bermuda from June 22 afternoon to June 25 afternoon. Our party- 2 adults and an 8 yr old.

1. Are bus passes better than hiring a scooter- can scooter accommodate (is it allowed as well) a child+ 2 adults?

2. Are buses very frequent and covering all places of interest?

3. if we go bus passes, someone suggested that instead of buying full price, finding a local and buying 80% or so used (or 4-5 days left) monthly passes that could be had very inexpensively- Has someone tried that? and how do I reach the locals. Are there people at the port offering to sell these?

4. I have tmobile postpaid phone/data plan in US- Do I need to buy a phone card for bermuda to use my phone locally? Which is the most inexpensive way to buy internet/data mins in bermuda?

I started trembling when I read your post. The idea of an 8 year old, or three people on a scooter made me sick. In any case I don't think anyone under 16 can ride on a scooter. So luckily you can scratch that.

As for other transportation you don't say what ship you are on. From what I can see there are two those dates one at the Dockyard and another doing St. George's and Hamilton. The answer depends on which ship and what your plans are for the four days as to your best transportation. You need to have an itinerary or idea of what you want to do in Bermuda. Your transportation depends on that too. Two of the days are on the weekend. That has an effect too. Read some of the other threads.

I don't know who the someone would be that thought you could buy a used transportation pass but that is a nuts idea for many reasons I won't even go into. Did that someone you got the idea of three on a scooter? You can scratch that buying a used pass idea too.

Edited by Charles4515

Unless both you and your wife are experienced motorcycle riders I would stay away from motor scooters. Anyway, I have never seen 3 persons on one. There is a post by member hamlettm titled - Should you rent a scooter in Bermuda??? , suggest you read it. My advice, don't put your child in harms way.

Buy a bus Transportation Pass if your plans make it cost effective. There is a child pass that is less expensive.

Most buses run frequently, about every 15 minutes and cover the island well.

I have never heard of the plan for buying a local, do you look like a local? Tourists often have the tourist look about them. My advice, follow the rules.

Can't help with your phone.

SBtS

If you buy tokens ($4.50/each) as soon as you get off the ship that will get you to Hamilton and there you can buy a book of 14zone bus/ferry passes. It's cheapest and not sold at dock by ship. Busses are fairly easy to navigate.

Don't rely on locals for those though.

Mopeds are highly discouraged but some still use them.

Every year I'm shocked at how many inexperienced people "try" them and get hurt. When we were there last week they had just put out another warning because two cruise visitors were killed in moped accidents in the last couple weeks [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks SailBadtheSinner & a2stylist:

Do you know if they sell bus passes also in dockyard area?

A2stylist incorrectly identified a ticket book as "bus ferry passes". They are different . You can't purchase the ticket books, which have 14 tickets, at Dockyard. You can buy transportation passes, as well as tokens at Dockyard. You would have to buy the ticket books in Hamilton. (Passes and tokens are also sold in Hamilton.)

Each ticket from the ticket book can be used for one bus or ferry ride. Each token can be used for one bus or ferry ride. Transportation passes are sold by the day...one day, two day, three day (there are also longer pass times that are bought by local residents) and allow unlimited bus and ferry rides for the length of time the pass is valid.

A2stylist incorrectly identified a ticket book as "bus ferry passes". They are different . You can't purchase the ticket books, which have 14 tickets, at Dockyard. You can buy transportation passes, as well as tokens at Dockyard. You would have to buy the ticket books in Hamilton. (Passes and tokens are also sold in Hamilton.)

Each ticket from the ticket book can be used for one bus or ferry ride. Each token can be used for one bus or ferry ride. Transportation passes are sold by the day...one day, two day, three day (there are also longer pass times that are bought by local residents) and allow unlimited bus and ferry rides for the length of time the pass is valid.

thanks for clarifying...and can one go from one end to another (dockyard to hamilton or st. george) in 1 ride ticket?

My apologies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I said you can buy them when you get off the ferry in Hamilton.

thanks for clarifying...and can one go from one end to another (dockyard to hamilton or st. george) in 1 ride ticket?

A ferry from Dockyard to either Hamilton or St. George requires one ticket or one token, or $5 cash. The return trip requires another token, ticket or cash.

A bus to Hamilton requires one token, one ticket or $5 exact change (no bills). You can ask for a transfer that will then allow you to take a bus from Hamilton to St. George . The return trip again requires one ticket, one token or $5 exact change with a transfer granted to change buses in Hamilton. There is no direct bus route between Dockyard and Hamilton. There's no free transfer between ferries and buses, so if you were to take a ferry to Hamilton followed by a bus to St. George you would need two tickets, two tokens, or two cash fare payments in each direction.

A transportation pass allows unlimited bus and ferry rides during its time of validity.

I said you can buy them when you get off the ferry in Hamilton.

Yes, but the point is you can't buy ticket books in Dockyard and that's why it's important to be clear when describing ticket books and transportation passes. People have often gotten confused about what can be purchased where when someone has used an imprecise name.

Yes, but the point is you can't buy ticket books in Dockyard and that's why it's important to be clear when describing ticket books and transportation passes. People have often gotten confused about what can be purchased where when someone has used an imprecise name.

I'm pretty sure you made your point ☝️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found a site online that gives the prices for the multi-day passes. The cruise is in Port for 3 days. A 3-day bus/ferry pass is $44. If you buy tokens it evidently cost $4.50 per token and you use a token each way and potentially more if you have any interruption in your travel. So really if you take a trip just to one location each day and happened to want to stop and shop for a little while in the middle of your bus route you will have already spent more than the 3-day pass will cost. Sight I found says the price of what's a one-day pass is $19. Price of a two-day pass is $31.50 and price of a three-day pass is $44

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

I found a site online that gives the prices for the multi-day passes. The cruise is in Port for 3 days. A 3-day bus/ferry pass is $44. If you buy tokens it evidently cost $4.50 per token and you use a token each way and potentially more if you have any interruption in your travel. So really if you take a trip just to one location each day and happened to want to stop and shop for a little while in the middle of your bus route you will have already spent more than the 3-day pass will cost. Sight I found says the price of what's a one-day pass is $19. Price of a two-day pass is $31.50 and price of a three-day pass is $44

Most people are not going to interrupt enough times to make the passes less expensive than buying individual tokens. Some might but most people don't. Buying tokens is usually of less cost than the pass for what people actually do.

In addition they don't sell the 3 day pass anymore at the Dockyard. Only the 1 and 2 day pass. Most passengers were not buying the 3 day pass anyway because the third day they like to stay at the Dockyard near the ship or they only go to the beach and back on departure day.

Also for Horseshoe Bay the private Minibus is a better way to get there than the public bus even though it is more expensive.

It becomes cost effective to buy the 3 day pass instead of tokens if you plan on boarding a public bus or ferry 10 times or more during your stay.

So what are your plans?

I've usually ignored the cost effective feature and went with what is more convenient to carry and use.

SBtS

It becomes cost effective to buy the 3 day pass instead of tokens if you plan on boarding a public bus or ferry 10 times or more during your stay.

So what are your plans?

I've usually ignored the cost effective feature and went with what is more convenient to carry and use.

SBtS

I always got the pass when docked in Hamilton and St. George's. I didn't care if it was cost effective. Not once was it cost effective, it was for convenience. I bought them the first one or two few times at the Dockyard. But after they took off the "Special" buses to the beach I got tired of waiting for buses, and standing for 35 minutes on some buses. Not being able to get on full buses and waiting 20 minutes for the next bus. Also broken AC on some. So I don't get them anymore when at the Dockyard. I take the Minibus to the beach. And use tokens for the ferry to Hamilton and St. George's. If I was on the Veendam which docks in Hamilton I likely would buy a transportation pass.

I always got the pass when docked in Hamilton and St. George's. I didn't care if it was cost effective. Not once was it cost effective, it was for convenience. I bought them the first one or two few times at the Dockyard. But after they took off the "Special" buses to the beach I got tired of waiting for buses, and standing for 35 minutes on some buses. Not being able to get on full buses and waiting 20 minutes for the next bus. Also broken AC on some. So I don't get them anymore when at the Dockyard. I take the Minibus to the beach. And use tokens for the ferry to Hamilton and St. George's. If I was on the Veendam which docks in Hamilton I likely would buy a transportation pass.

What is the mini bus? Where does it take you and how much does it cost?

Ok so just to be clear...

We'll be on Anthem of the Seas end of August to Bermuda and are relying on bus/ferry to get around.

When we arrive is there a booth we go to to but tokens and get route and schedules?

Do they take American $$?

We're traveling with adults and kids - anyone know if kids under a certain age are free?

The mini buses are privately owned and operated shuttles operating between Dockyard and Horseshoe Bay beach . The cost is $7 per person in each direction.

Oh that's awesome!!! Is their info on times they run?

Ok so just to be clear...

We'll be on Anthem of the Seas end of August to Bermuda and are relying on bus/ferry to get around.

When we arrive is there a booth we go to to but tokens and get route and schedules?

Do they take American $$?

We're traveling with adults and kids - anyone know if kids under a certain age are free?

The Anthem docks at Heritage Wharf. When you disembark the ship you enter the customs building and you'll see a desk where tokens and transportation passes are sold. US currency is accepted everywhere in Bermuda.

Children under age 5 ride free on the public buses and ferries. Ages 5 - 15 ride at a discounted fare.

Here's a link to the ferry schedule. The cash fares, transportation pass costs and token costs for adults and children are detailed on the schedule:

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/BMOC/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202017.pdf

Here's the bus schedule. It also includes the fare information:

http://www.gotobermuda.com/sites/default/master/files/bermuda-bus-schedule.pdf

• 2 weeks later...