Special restaurant for lunch wanted

WestfieldTraveler

Hi all,

we're taking the Anthem to Bermuda, docked at King's Wharf on Saturday Aug 5th from 8am to 4pm, and we are traveling with my wife's sister and brother-in-law whose 45th wedding anniversary is that day. We would like to take them to a nice (but by no needs fancy) restaurant where they could have a memorable lunch, perhaps with a nice view or something else that they could enjoy. And who knows - maybe they would even want to renew their vows! (we already have an available minister).

Taking a cab/limo or even renting a car or getting a boat ride to any place on the island is open. Making a reservation and a place that would be good in any weather would be preferred. Any ideas?

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
the boat!

Frog and Onion is fun and the beer is good but there's no view - the proximity to the ship does compensate for that.

For something much more special you could try Breezes at Cambridge Beaches

http://www.cambridgebeaches.com

Or Coconuts at The Reefs

http://www.thereefs.com/dining

Both of these are by beautiful beaches and the lunch will definitely be memorable but they may be more expensive that you'd want. And you'd need a taxi, you can't rent a car here.

Or you could take the ferry into Hamilton and go to 1609 at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, a short walk from the ferry terminal, and with amazing views down the harbour but you'd have to be very, very careful to get the 3pm ferry back or you'll miss your ship - I guess if you have an early lunch you could get the 2pm ferry.

Ferry schedules:

https://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Schedule%202016_FInal%20Web.pdf

Edited by jollyjones

We like the F&G and Hog & Penny in Hamilton, and the Swizzle Inn is a unique place. But for a special dinner we'd look for something on or close to nice ocean views. The prices will be higher of course.

I reserved a nice table at Coconuts at the Reefs and would recommend that. Beautiful ocean view and great food. Do reserve before you cruise in order to get a table with a view. You can also upgrade to a table on the beach, but that's more a special dinner option. Ocean Club at Fairmont Southampton, Mickey's at Elbow Beach, and as mentioned Cambridge Beaches are other nice options. So many choices!!!

If you were looking for a special dinner there are a few other upscale choices like Tom Moore's Tavern, Waterlot Inn, or Fourways Inn, but I would save them for a special dinner. For lunch Coconuts or one of the others mentioned is perfect - check out their sites and reviews. If too pricey and you're looking for something more casual and fun then the F&G, Hog & Penny, or Henry XIII would be perfect.

Edited by blue_water

The OP was asking for lunch - tricky to do a special dinner when you are in port for one day 8am - 4pm.

The short port time is why I included travel time considerations in my suggestions.

I'm not sure you can always make lunch reservations but if you can, I'd suggest the OP does.

There's nothing wrong with the F&O, the Hog Penny or the Swizzle but there's nothing very special either - no views and the food is not very 'local' and is mostly deep fried.

If it was me, I'd choose Coconuts; for a cheaper option Henry VIII does have some nice views.

http://www.henrys.bm

The OP was asking for lunch - tricky to do a special dinner when you are in port for one day 8am - 4pm.

The short port time is why I included travel time considerations in my suggestions.

I'm not sure you can always make lunch reservations but if you can, I'd suggest the OP does.

There's nothing wrong with the F&O, the Hog Penny or the Swizzle but there's nothing very special either - no views and the food is not very 'local' and is mostly deep fried.

If it was me, I'd choose Coconuts; for a cheaper option Henry VIII does have some nice views.

http://www.henrys.bm

Yes this is a short port day and just a lunch so something closer than Hamilton would be ideal. Coconuts offers amazing ocean views with the rocks but you do need reservations to assure that great view. My wife was impressed with the table since we were behind many others in line and the table was indeed waiting for us. Henry XIII is a fun evening spot across the street with a little view and another option as mentioned if price is an issue, but Coconuts is right over the beach and a great choice.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could take the ferry into Hamilton and go to Red Steakhouse. They have outside seating on a terrace overlooking Hamilton Harbor. The food and service is great, but it is pricey - even for Bermuda, but you said special :)

I would also give another vote to Henry VIII. We always eat our anniversary dinner there (we go to Bermuda for our anniversary when we go - which is often!). They have Chateaubriand for 2 which I think is romantic. Don't know if they serve that for lunch but the food is good, they have outside seating and the view of the south shore is beautiful.

Thanks for the recommendations so far - I'll probably put together a mini-slideshow for my brother and sister-in-law and let them decide, but I'm leaning towards 1609 or Coconuts. Was also looking to see if there was some type of lunch cruise around the harbor but did not find anything yet.

Thanks for the recommendations so far - I'll probably put together a mini-slideshow for my brother and sister-in-law and let them decide, but I'm leaning towards 1609 or Coconuts. Was also looking to see if there was some type of lunch cruise around the harbor but did not find anything yet.

There used to be a yacht called the Venetian, but it's only available for charters and super expensive!

Something more romantic is renting a Boston Whaler boat for the two of them at H2O Watersports at Cambridge Beaches resort, packing them a nice lunch and a bottle of wine and sending them out for 3 - 4 hrs. One of our best days in Bermuda and very easy! Or the 4 of you can all go together. There are many small islands you can stop at and have a private lunch.

I'm curious as to what the popular restaurants for the locals would be? Good food beats good views for me.

We have found locals dining at many of the restaurants - Hog Penny, Lobster Pot, the Robin Hood (which is a sports bar off the beaten path). You will find locals at the Swizzle Inn, the Paraquet (a diner), The Spot in Hamilton and at Sunday Brunch at the Four Ways Inn.

Bermuda is not that big. There are no specific tourist places. You are just as likely to be seated near a local group having lunch or dinner as you are to be seated near another group of visitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'll see Bermudians at all of the the better restaurants like Tom Moore's Inn as well as casual spots like the F&G. Less so at the touristy spots like SI. Just like at home, tons of great restaurants, just depends on what experience you're looking for.

I would also give another vote to Henry VIII. We always eat our anniversary dinner there (we go to Bermuda for our anniversary when we go - which is often!). They have Chateaubriand for 2 which I think is romantic. Don't know if they serve that for lunch but the food is good, they have outside seating and the view of the south shore is beautiful.

Henry VIII? Interesting choice for an anniversary dinner. While I suppose he celebrated a fair number of anniversaries, not so many were with the same wife.

Henry VIII? Interesting choice for an anniversary dinner. While I suppose he celebrated a fair number of anniversaries, not so many were with the same wife.

LOL! Never thought about it that way [emoji15]. We ate there a couple of times and liked the atmosphere, then we noticed that they had Chateaubriand. We find sharing that meal romantic. And it's very good!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I know this isn't helpful to the OP, but Henry VIII is a great evening spot for anyone spending the night in Bermuda and wanting something unique for the evening.

And if you're looking for a really nice evening with a great band, be sure to Google the schedule for Randy Lambert and Tempo, an excellent Bermudian band that plays the Reef on Thursday evening and Henry VIII as well.

Unless you have a taxi driver on call or call a taxi, you'd need to catch the last bus back to the port of course. But having a dinner at Coconuts or Henry VIII and dancing to Randy is an amazing evening, and I'm not a dancer! He's just a great entertainer and plays everything from Harry Belafonte to what you request. Well worth the cost of a return taxi for an enjoyable evening.

Great thread! Realize the Op asked for lunch and excellent replies but also appreciative for those that gave more detail and related info for dinner. We'll be staying overnight in the future and nice to have information for both lunch and dinner.

I know this isn't helpful to the OP, but Henry VIII is a great evening spot for anyone spending the night in Bermuda and wanting something unique for the evening.

And if you're looking for a really nice evening with a great band, be sure to Google the schedule for Randy Lambert and Tempo, an excellent Bermudian band that plays the Reef on Thursday evening and Henry VIII as well.

Unless you have a taxi driver on call or call a taxi, you'd need to catch the last bus back to the port of course. But having a dinner at Coconuts or Henry VIII and dancing to Randy is an amazing evening, and I'm not a dancer! He's just a great entertainer and plays everything from Harry Belafonte to what you request. Well worth the cost of a return taxi for an enjoyable evening.

Good stuff. I want to try Henry VIII but I'm worried about getting a taxi back afterwards. Is it difficult?

Thanks. We're going on a Monday night for dinner though.

Sorry, Saturday was from the original poster. But a restaurant like Henry VIII will call a taxi for you. You might not be able to get a taxi instantaneously, but I don't think it will be difficult.