Too Many Ports?

MTJSR

Hi, after nearly 15 Princess cruises, I am looking at my first Seabourn cruise. It's an Encore 14 night cruise with a port everyday and zero sea days. I have to ask, is this just way too many ports? At nearly 800 a day, I have to ask what is that special about Seabourn? Thanks!

The old adage "You get what you pay for" is true as Seabourn offers a more luxurious and personalized cruise experience. I don't think you can compare the two. I haven't been on a Princess ship in many years and, perhaps, things have changed but getting top shelf wines/liquors, included gratuities, a choice of beverages in your cabin, 24 hr. room service and just being on a smaller ship and not having to deal with masses of people, waiting in lines, going to buffets, people hogging deck chairs, is something that you won't have to deal with on Seabourn. We were just in Alaska and a huge Princess ship was in dock--certainly looked like a floating hotel. If that's something you want, than you will find Seabourn completely different--no midnight buffets--but elegant dining options, special deck barbecues, beach barbecues and special events just for Seabourn passengers in some of their Mediterranean ports.

Because we live in Europe (at the moment ;)) and we tend to do European cruises we tend to do a fairly quick visit wherever we dock and the go back for a few days if we like it. So our routine is into breakfast about 8:30 the beloved goes off on his mountain bike, I walk around wherever we have docked until 12:30, back for our champagne lunch in the Colonnade and then either back to the town or village with beloved for a further mooch or book and a sunbed for the afternoon. There may be a marina afternoon, or caviar in the pool to keep us entertained too plus trivia if you are so inclined. And of course, you don't have to get off - if you have been to a port before just stay on board and enjoy the quiet.

No queues and wonderful service is what sets it apart from the larger ships though.

There are generally two types of cruisers -- those who love sea days and to who, the ports are irrelevant and those who look at each new day in a different place as an opportunity for exploring. We are in the later category and happily book cruses with a our Seabourn magic carpet whisking us off to a different port each day. We can choose to just take casual stroll around or launch off on an all day private tour. Only you know what kind of person you are and which type of cruise suits you best.

And what is special about Seabourn? To us after 15 years it is the personalized service. When we board a Seabourn ship now we almost feel as though we have arrived at our second home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP you have done a lot of Princess, so you know what to expect from them. IMHO they put out a good product at a fair price.

Seabourn is a different product. Calmer, more attentive, therefore they have to charge more. I could do either one, as long as I know what I'm getting for my dollar.

That said: 14 days with a port a day? No thanks. Too hectic for me!

'I have to ask, is this just way too many ports? At nearly 800 a day, I have to ask what is that special about Seabourn?'

Yes and perhaps you should do a little research before asking such a broad question.

Would echo each of the comments. But will also add...

1. Cruise and other tour companies (eg. river cruises, Globus, Insight etc) cater to a largely US market, particularly for destinations such as Europe. The US traveller who is not retired, generally has a shorter annual vacation period than other countries and Europe is very accessible in terms of flight time. Therefore many itineraries are tailored for a quick get in, get out, see as much as you can. (This is a bug bear for Australians as they fly longer, have longer holidays and generally want to explore more in depth - Caribbean cruises also fall into this same category for us, too short, a port a day and only covers a small area of the region as the predominant US market just want a short break)

2. Port charges are high in the major European destinations so, as with all cruise lines, you won't see too many overnight stays, and a few minor ports are added in to increase the feeling of destination coverage, so that passengers can go home with the "I've done Europe" feeling. With Seabourn you will find a different experience in these minor ports as smaller ships can get in closer or include an unusual port by tender.

Anyway, if you are a frequent traveller, you can always turn a known port into a sea day as we have done many times in the past, then you will really enjoy the Seabourn experience. You are on holiday after all.:cool:

If you like sea days you will love Seabourn. The feeling of relaxation and atmosphere of a Sea day, Seabourn produces everyday. As our friends above have mentioned you can allot your own sea day. Stay aboard and do whatever it is you would do on a Princess Sea day. Or just be a Princess or Prince as so desired. "What is special about Seabourn" too many things to mention so much so we can't wait to return. We are qualified to compare.

Our simple answer is chalk and cheese experiences. By the way you mentioned the 5 letter word "money", on Seabourn you truly get great value for your $€£.

It's worth saying that if you are docked you can always stay on board (and enjoy a very quiet ship). If you are at sea you can't get off the ship. So better to be docked than not.

As has already been said many people get off for a while, have a wander then come back on board without necessarily committing the whole day ashore on a tour.

As for the difference between Seabourn and other ships, the answer is lots of sometimes small things which collectively make a big difference.

Your cabin will be significantly larger and feature an improved bathroom. You get more space around the ship. You are treated as an individual by staff who's first response to a question is yes rather than no.

Obviously food and beverages are included and that extends to speciality restaurants where many lines charge a premium.

We too were concerned on our first Seabourn cruise but as soon as we went to check in the Seabourn difference was immediately apparent.

Henry :)

They do have the event where they set up kiosks around the pool around 6pm and serve drinks and various snacks/ canapés (the officers front it and have other staff to help). Can't remember what it's official name is though??

Thank you all for highlighting some of the differences. I am looking for a different experience, even thou Princess has treated me very well and we all look for ways to compare before we buy. I was also a seasoned Sitmar cruiser before being bought by Princess. I loved the service and food on Sitmar and I had heard Seabourn, was very much like Sitmar.

'I have to ask, is this just way too many ports? At nearly 800 a day, I have to ask what is that special about Seabourn?'

Yes and perhaps you should do a little research before asking such a broad question.

I especially want to thank "WIRE" for their help. My "little research" actually started here on the Seabourn chat board. Good idea from a helpful cruise ambassador .

They do have the event where they set up kiosks around the pool around 6pm and serve drinks and various snacks/ canapés (the officers front it and have other staff to help). Can't remember what it's official name is though??

It' something like 'Officers on Deck'. Err...that's not quite right. :o

Is it 'Officers' Epicurean Event?'

It' something like 'Officers on Deck'. Err...that's not quite right. :o

Is it 'Officers' Epicurean Event?'

No, you are quite right, we were on Encore a few weeks ago and it was 'Officers on Deck'. Others have mentioned the space on Seabourn but one thing we did notice in particular on Encore was that the pool area got very crowded both in port and on our sea day. It seems that they did not allow enough extra space there for the extra passengers.

Thank you all for highlighting some of the differences. I am looking for a different experience, even thou Princess has treated me very well and we all look for ways to compare before we buy. I was also a seasoned Sitmar cruiser before being bought by Princess. I loved the service and food on Sitmar and I had heard Seabourn, was very much like Sitmar.

I wonder if you are thinking of Silversea? It was my understanding that the current Italian owners of Silversea created the company out of Sitmar.

No, you are quite right, we were on Encore a few weeks ago and it was 'Officers on Deck'. Others have mentioned the space on Seabourn but one thing we did notice in particular on Encore was that the pool area got very crowded both in port and on our sea day. It seems that they did not allow enough extra space there for the extra passengers.

Thank you!

I wonder if you are thinking of Silversea? It was my understanding that the current Italian owners of Silversea created the company out of Sitmar.

Ah, you are correct. I was thinking it was Seabourn! However, I am still very much looking at Seabourn for my next cruise.

• 1 month later...

I have sailed mainstream cruise lines and Seabourn. I really enjoyed my Seabourn cruises where the focus was just on relaxation rather than seeing every port. When I did the Med two summers ago we opted for NCL as I knew we would be spending lots of time in port. By the time we got back each day from our Euro adventure we were exhausted and just happy to find a quick dinner and head to bed. If you are really excited about the 14 ports and will be spending the majority of your time off the ship, then it may not be worth it.