tell me about the caviar

SeaBands

My data are a little bit oldbut here is what I recall:

Caviar runs and Enormous spectrum. We found both the caviar served generally and the special ?Sevruga served at caviar "events" quite good and in fact had a double order every night of our cruise. One little secret. Instead of toast, they will be happy to serve the caviar (which already comes with all of the trimmings) with blini. Coupled with ice vodka, it made a wonderful end of the day/beginning of the evening treat.

Have never noticed Sevruga on a SB ship. Ossetra, yes. Serving size 10 to 12 grams. Smaller than previous years, in my mind. It's better than good.

I'm probably wrong. Blue tins, Russian label.

But, frankly, to me the serving size doesn't truly matter if you can go back for unlimited helpings. May be a bit inconvenient, but except for a reception at the Russian embassy in DC (long story) I can't remember an occasion where I could serve myself 30 g at a time of any caviar :-)

i'll settle for six helpings of 10 g anytime :-)

I understand it's available every night as well as the special by the sea. What size portion do you get? Is it good?

We just completed a 21 day Trans Pac on the Sojourn two weeks ago. Not being caviar aficionados we would not be able to tell you if the particular caviar we had on board was "good" by whatever standards this is judged - but it tasted good... Early in the cruise it was jet black. Late in the cruise it was very dark grey. Seven sea days is a long time to keep anything in stock so I suspect the better caviar was used first and they went to the next grade as the trip continued.

More importantly, in addition to events, the caviar is "on-demand". Anytime you want it they deliver it anywhere you are. It is served complete with all the trimmings. As this was our first Seabourn trip we set a goal of caviar and champagne everyday. We had it in the Observation Bar, Patio Bar, Poolside, in the Suite - anytime it occurred to us to order it. It usually was delivered within 15 - 20 minutes after ordering. That's OK because you are drinking as you wait. A group of 4 diners we observed in the Restaurant started every meal with a standing order of double portion of caviar and champagne for each person.

We just completed a 21 day Trans Pac on the Sojourn two weeks ago. Not being caviar aficionados we would not be able to tell you if the particular caviar we had on board was "good" by whatever standards this is judged - but it tasted good... Early in the cruise it was jet black. Late in the cruise it was very dark grey. Seven sea days is a long time to keep anything in stock so I suspect the better caviar was used first and they went to the next grade as the trip continued.

More importantly, in addition to events, the caviar is "on-demand". Anytime you want it they deliver it anywhere you are. It is served complete with all the trimmings. As this was our first Seabourn trip we set a goal of caviar and champagne everyday. We had it in the Observation Bar, Patio Bar, Poolside, in the Suite - anytime it occurred to us to order it. It usually was delivered within 15 - 20 minutes after ordering. That's OK because you are drinking as you wait. A group of 4 diners we observed in the Restaurant started every meal with a standing order of double portion of caviar and champagne for each person.

In a bar or at the grill, do you order it from the bar/grill staff?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a bar or at the grill, do you order it from the bar/grill staff?

Anyone will take the order. Most of the time we order from beverage staff because they are usually first to provide service. The order is called in to the room service staff in the Restaurant galley since that is where ad-hoc orders are filled. The order is delivered to the bar/grill and beverage staff serves it.

Seabourn used to serve Black River Caviar from Uruguay I believe they currently serve Sterling from California (at least their website claims so in several places).

From Seabourns site:

Seabourn’s passion for culinary excellence demands ingredients of superior quality, produced by methods that are sustainable and environmentally responsible. Sterling fulfills those criteria with flavorful, hand-crafted caviar harvested from native California white sturgeon raised in carefully controlled conditions. These fish produce firm, richly-flavored eggs that are likened to the finest imported Osetra. In the time-honored tradition of the Caspian Sea fishery, Sterling adds nothing but salt, and then ages the caviar to attain the perfect buttery texture and flavor before shipping it to a clientele of renowned chefs, discerning connoisseurs and, fortunately, to Seabourn, where we are pleased to be able to offer you this exemplary taste of the good life.