KLM seat assignment

SCHappilyRetired

Hi everyone! I am just starting to research Delta One flights to Lisbon and returning from Porto. I will be using my pesos. I know Atlanta Is higher than JFK from prior experience so will probably go out of JFK. Part of the trip would be KLM which I have never flown. When I try to look at seats it tells me I need to book the ticket then pick the seats. Is that the norm? How do I know I'll get 2 seats where I prefer? Am I missing something? Thank you!

KLM seats are available to book 24 hours in advance of the flight unless you pay a premium to pre-book seats. You will be able to book the Delta seats at the time of reservation. I don't remember the cost per ticket to pre-book KLM seats. Check the KLM web site for actual costs.

KLM seats are available to book 24 hours in advance of the flight unless you pay a premium to pre-book seats. .

You can also pre-book KLM seats for the international leg if you are booking business class. For KLM intra-European legs in biz I can't recall if you can prebook or not.

You can also pre-book KLM seats for the international leg if you are booking business class. For KLM intra-European legs in biz I can't recall if you can prebook or not.

I would like to fly the World Business Class for KLM part of the trip. I went on the website and didn't see "fees". I don't want to assume but is there a fee for these seats? I wouldn't think so with the pricing but one never knows! Thank you!

We just did this in May of this year. We had a flight leaving Lisbon on KLM connecting in Amsterdam using miles for Business Class. We were able to book all our seats ahead of time. Since you wish to use miles, you may want to check all options. Originally we thought we would use ATL but tickets for fewer miles were available through DTW. The business class was excellent including the food. We finally had to tell the flight attendants to stop bringing food and beverages. You will probably have several legs with longer layovers. The alternative is a very short connect time in AMS or CDG. I did not need that stress so we opted for the longer times. Even though we were exhausted the experience was one of our better ones.

We just did this in May of this year. We had a flight leaving Lisbon on KLM connecting in Amsterdam using miles for Business Class. We were able to book all our seats ahead of time. Since you wish to use miles, you may want to check all options. Originally we thought we would use ATL but tickets for fewer miles were available through DTW. The business class was excellent including the food. We finally had to tell the flight attendants to stop bringing food and beverages. You will probably have several legs with longer layovers. The alternative is a very short connect time in AMS or CDG. I did not need that stress so we opted for the longer times. Even though we were exhausted the experience was one of our better ones.

Thank you! I will look at DTW as well. ATL would be much easier but much more costly. We just returned from Alaska with 2 connecting flights each way so I am primed!

We just did this in May of this year. We had a flight leaving Lisbon on KLM connecting in Amsterdam using miles for Business Class. We were able to book all our seats ahead of time.

Just be aware that on intra-European flights, (ex. Lisbon to AMS) "business/first class" on KLM usually is just a coach seat in a 3-3 configuration with the middle seat left empty.

Indeed on KLM you can pre book your seat on any flight, but have to pay for it.

You can choose a seat for free upon on line checkin. However, very likely the nicest seats will be gone.

So I can see the availability of seats "before" booking or Is that similar to seatguru?

Yes, you can look up the seatmap on any flight with the airlines that are on the system. It will show you occupied seats etc. I use it regularly for flights between London and NYC where I want to see if specific business class seats are available prior to booking

https://www.expertflyer.com/airline-seat-maps

Even with Business/first?

KLM doesnot have first class anymore, only business. If flying business seat reservation is free.

If you are selecting your seats, and want a window in economy be aware that on some planes there is an metal box housing IT below the window just where the seat in front of you starts. It can impede a carry on bag or perhaps bother you. This was DW's complaint on a few of our KLM flights. OK for an hour or two, but after five or six hours it gets in the way. Perhaps seatguru can provide info on this.

I think you have to book the flight before you can pick seats...at least, that's how it's always been for me!

On most airlines you can checkout the seat map to see how full the flight is and/or what seats are still available before you actually book or pay for anything. CB's airline must work differently.:confused:

We have a DTW-AMS-WAW returning KRK-AMS-DTW in economy coming up this August. TA portions are in DL, but we were able to select seats on all segments on the DL website, except the KRK-AMS (KLM cityhopper) portion.

I've tried to select seats on the KRK-AMS a few times DL, when reviewing my reservation for changes...but the DL site always said "no can do." After seeing this thread I went in again to give it a try...and noticed a link on that segment to connect to KLM. Oh how I love how connected Europe Skyteam is....it took me right to my KLM flight reservation on the KLM site and allowed me to book the seats. It cost $17.82 ( two people total) to select to premium economy. I know the premium economy is stupid for this short flight...but it was only a few euros more than a regular economy seat selection. It will allow more time to finish the coffee and cookie. :)

OP..you could probably also try doing a mock booking on KLM site to check seat availability.

Hi everyone! I am just starting to research Delta One flights to Lisbon and returning from Porto. I will be using my pesos. I know Atlanta Is higher than JFK from prior experience so will probably go out of JFK. Part of the trip would be KLM which I have never flown. When I try to look at seats it tells me I need to book the ticket then pick the seats. Is that the norm? How do I know I'll get 2 seats where I prefer? Am I missing something? Thank you!

Portugal is a fairly small country. You may want to also consider using the CP (train) to get from Porto back to Lisbon and fly from their or vice versa.

On most airlines you can checkout the seat map to see how full the flight is and/or what seats are still available before you actually book or pay for anything. CB's airline must work differently.:confused:

The seat map is often a very poor indicator of how full the flight is. Ex. The seat map may show 50 "available" seats, but there could be 45 pax who have booked tickets that don't allow them to select seats. In that cases 45 of those 50 seats have been sold, but since the pax can't select seats it looks like there are 50 available seats, when in reality there are only 5.