World Cruise Travel Insurance

Gunners Mate

This is my very first post. We will be sailing on next years World Cruise (QE) and would like to know how others have got on with finding Travel Insurance to cover the length of the cruise and the full cancellation cost. At the moment I can't seem to find a UK company which will cover for more then £7500 and trip length only up to 90 days. :confused: Gunners Mate

Welcome and please join us at the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367070

I hope that someone from the UK can help you in this regard.

I am in the USA and am strongly thinking of using the Cunard insurance.

We have the Cadillac of Health Insurances and will be joining med jet assist for the purpose of medical evacuation but I wonder about insuring the rest of the trip.

I hope that someone can help both of us here and for certain, join us over on the Roll call.

Welcome and please join us at the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367070

I hope that someone from the UK can help you in this regard.

I am in the USA and am strongly thinking of using the Cunard insurance.

We have the Cadillac of Health Insurances and will be joining med jet assist for the purpose of medical evacuation but I wonder about insuring the rest of the trip.

I hope that someone can help both of us here and for certain, join us over on the Roll call.

We use Allianz, which covers all non-refundable costs, and can be extended to cover travel before and after the WC. It is an A+ rated company that we have used many times before.

We have used Medjet Assist for almost 10 years. We wanted the protection of transportation from a hospital to the hospital of your choice via commercial or medical evacuation plane with an RN, EMT or MD on board. We chose it initially because we were going to Antarctica, and then kept renewing it because we had a summer home in Nova Scotia. It also covers you domestically, as long as you are 150 miles away from home. There is an 18% discount if you are an AARP member and purchase it through the AARP website.

I am happy to share the Allianz details, email me: Ricki at aol.com.

Ricki

We use Allianz, which covers all non-refundable costs, and can be extended to cover travel before and after the WC. It is an A+ rated company that we have used many times before.

We have used Medjet Assist for almost 10 years. We wanted the protection of transportation from a hospital to the hospital of your choice via commercial or medical evacuation plane with an RN, EMT or MD on board. We chose it initially because we were going to Antarctica, and then kept renewing it because we had a summer home in Nova Scotia. It also covers you domestically, as long as you are 150 miles away from home. There is an 18% discount if you are an AARP member and purchase it through the AARP website.

I am happy to share the Allianz details, email me: Ricki at aol.com.

Ricki

I will be in touch regarding Allianz.

We get a slightly larger discount for med jet using our concierge medicine plan but either way it is worth it.

Evana

Try one of the comparison sites (moneysupermarket etc) remembering to tick the cruise box and you will get quotes from many companies. You can read all the conditions for any.

David.

We have never encountered a trip cost limit at Generali Global Assistance www.generalitravelinsurance.com

ANd we buy Generali to cover trip cancellation as well as medical/emergency --no need for 2 providers.

Affordable & buy them for all our cruises.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately they have a max amount online of 40K.

The world cruise is generally more than that.

In our case we simply need trip cancellation. Everything else is already covered by other insurance policies.

The value of Medjet Assist is that they will evacuate you from a hospital in any location to the hospital of your choice. Many travel insurance policies will transfer you only to the closest hospital. Medjet is not a health insurance, it is specifically for medical transportation, although they do offer other policies that cover political unrest evacuation, etc.

Ricki

Globelink is a UK company that covers everything and for a very reasonable price.

Just had a quick look at this and if you only want a single trip policy there is no problem up to the age of 84, but if you want an annual trip policy the age limit is 74. :mad: At this point I didn't look at the length of a trip. Why do firms discriminate once you reach 74? Our insurance is with our bank and this is the last year we will be able to use it as DH turns 74 next year. It's a favourable price as well.

BTW: Our cover is for 31 nights but we will be away 35. Informed the bank and they simply noted it on their records and are quite happy with it. I suspect though that anything longer may well have been a problem.

BTW: Our cover is for 31 nights but we will be away 35. Informed the bank and they simply noted it on their records and are quite happy with it. I suspect though that anything longer may well have been a problem.

Ours is also with our bank but allows trips of up to 90 days routinely and up to 183 days at an additional fee. The cancellation cover is only £7,500 pp but this may also be raised for a fee.

Having done four world cruises in recent years, I can tell you what we did to get insurance. We used Stay Sure in the Uk. They will cover you up to a certain amount but then you need to pay for the policy to be overwritten to cover the cost of the cruise if you neeed to cancel.

This is very important that you get cancellation for the full amount of the cost of the full cruise.

One year we used American Express as they had cancellation up to £ 12-500 at the time and again we had it overwritten to increase this to cover full cost of the cruise.

You must tell the insurers every port of call you are making. You must tell them of any illness etc.

As we were, and still are, a very fit healthy couple our world cruise insurance was around £ 1000 . This was with Stay Sure and in 2013, I had reason to have to claim after a fall on the ship and I was medi vacced off. They paid out no problem. One other thing you must do is make sure you have a credit card with a large amount of credit available.

I ended up in a hospital in Chile where they would not operate on me until I paid upfront. Cost was £ 10-000. All paid for on my credit card. The insurers took a week to pay me back as it takes time to process things when one is half a world away.

So please get fully insured and get a good credit card in case of emergency.

Enjoy your world cruise, you are in for an amazing time. I I have done world cruises on QE and QM2. Amazing experience.

Having done four world cruises in recent years, I can tell you what we did to get insurance. We used Stay Sure in the Uk. They will cover you up to a certain amount but then you need to pay for the policy to be overwritten to cover the cost of the cruise if you neeed to cancel.

This is very important that you get cancellation for the full amount of the cost of the full cruise.

One year we used American Express as they had cancellation up to £ 12-500 at the time and again we had it overwritten to increase this to cover full cost of the cruise.

You must tell the insurers every port of call you are making. You must tell them of any illness etc.

As we were, and still are, a very fit healthy couple our world cruise insurance was around £ 1000 . This was with Stay Sure and in 2013, I had reason to have to claim after a fall on the ship and I was medi vacced off. They paid out no problem. One other thing you must do is make sure you have a credit card with a large amount of credit available.

I ended up in a hospital in Chile where they would not operate on me until I paid upfront. Cost was £ 10-000. All paid for on my credit card. The insurers took a week to pay me back as it takes time to process things when one is half a world away.

So please get fully insured and get a good credit card in case of emergency.

Enjoy your world cruise, you are in for an amazing time. I I have done world cruises on QE and QM2. Amazing experience.

Maggie, am I understanding that you were able to contact American Express and ask for an increase in coverage?

We have American Express Platinum. (The expensive one) They cover us to a max of 10K USD. Should we consider calling them and asking them to increase that limit, for a fee? They cover the basics anyway like your luggage and delay in transit etc. so those things are not of concern to me.

We have top of the line health insurance and we have MedJet Assist so the health part is not as important to us as insuring the amount that might be lost in the event that we should have to cancel before the cruise.

Thank you so much for your input.

Evana

Maggie, am I understanding that you were able to contact American Express and ask for an increase in coverage?

We have American Express Platinum. (The expensive one) They cover us to a max of 10K USD. Should we consider calling them and asking them to increase that limit, for a fee? They cover the basics anyway like your luggage and delay in transit etc. so those things are not of concern to me.

We have top of the line health insurance and we have MedJet Assist so the health part is not as important to us as insuring the amount that might be lost in the event that we should have to cancel before the cruise.

Thank you so much for your input.

Evana

Hello Evana,

The policy you buy has to be over written to make it up to the cover you need. I am no expert on this matter but I think they use a different company.

We do not live in the

UK but I found Stay Sure in the UK very good and they knew what to do. They done. Pat insurance as well. Just tell the company you are thinking of using that you want covering for xxx amount for cancellation. We never had a problem getting it . You pay extra of course but worth it to get covered otherwise If you cancel you will have a shortfall .

It is something of uncommon so it is posssible to do it. IF I remember correct our policy with Stay Sure was overwritten with a company in Ireleand . MAPFRE.

Good luck and have a fab cruise. You will love it and will want to go again. I wrote a book after my travels I saw so much and had such fun

We have booked Around South America on Queen Victoria next year. We have annual travel insurance but this would not cover the number of days away.

After checking comparison sites we have gone with Just Travel. I had a reasonable quote via these sites, then approached them directly and the price was substantially lower.