Future Cruise Credit

babs135

Could I ask for clarification on a number of questions please.

How long do I have before the Credit runs out - or does it?

I don't have a regular on-line travel agent. I just go where the deals are good. Would this be a problem?

Do I have to use the FCC against the Cunard Fare or can I use it against any of the Saver Fares?

If my travel agent adds on extras, eg post cruise hotel stay or in the case of Alaska/Canada, the chance to take a journey on the Rocky Mountaineer, can I still use the FCC?

Thanks in advance

I have just typed this into the Cunard FAQs, and it comes up as "page has been removed". I am sure in the past the deposit could be used on Full and Early Saver fares. If this was to be incorporated with an add on that, there was no problem. Not sure if if the FCD can used with specially arranged travel agency tours. It used to be valid 1 year from purchase, but the voyage could be any time in the future.

I do hope they have not stopped this mode of sale/payment.

No it's not been stopped. We paid for FCD's earlier this month on the QV.

You can use the OBC against Cunard and Early saver fares but not the late Saver fares.

* Future Cruise Down Payments (“FCDs”) may be redeemed against The Cunard Fare and Early Savers holidays subject to availability at the time of booking. FCDs cannot be redeemed against Saver Fares, other promotional fares from time to time or where we are not the Tour Operator. It will be necessary to pay any difference between the value of your FCD and the total deposit at the time of booking. FCDs are non refundable, non transferable and must be used within 12 months of the date of purchase after which they will be void.

I don't have a regular on-line travel agent. I just go where the deals are good. Would this be a problem?

If you are on a cruise booked by any TA when you purchase your FFC , you automatically will have to use that TA to book a cruise using that FCC, unless you decline that feature when purchasing your FCC.

On the USA side of the pond - I decided to book the 8/12/17 QM2 sailing last week. I purchased a FCC on board the QM2 last December and received the usual paperwork about obc, . I was sitting in front of my travel agent when she was trying to make the booking and at first Cunard refused to allow the $300 towards the fare: "not allowed - too close to sailing date." I was in disbelief.. My travel agent talked to a supervisor and they relented, however they would not give me the $100 obc I should be entitled too. Next day, we sent Cunard a copy of the paperwork I received on board and added to the argument that no changes had been made to the Future Cruise Credit discussion on their website. Looking again just now, FCC credit discussion no longer appears on the website. Told it will take up to two weeks for them to make a decision on the obc. Booking this voyage was not a good experience - had to take a guaranteed cabin but later did a dummy booking (after the price went down two days after I booked!) and online I could have picked a cabin. Flights were also an issue............I am sure I will have a wonderful time on this voyage and if the seas are smooth, it does not really matter where your cabin is..............

On the USA side of the pond - I decided to book the 8/12/17 QM2 sailing last week.

Just a small comment: in an international forum, it will help to be unambiguous over dates - I asume you mean 12th August, but many will read this as 8th December.

P&O recently announced that as of July 2nd they will no longer sell FCD: passengers will still be able to book cruises onboard for £50 deposit and will have two weeks grace after the cruise on which they made the booking to change it to another cruise of equal or greater value. It looks like Carnival are gradually standardising on board sales incentives across their brands down to the lowest common denominator, and the missing FCD page on Cunard's web site may be a sign it'll be happening to Cunard soon.

http://www.pocruises.com/explore/articles/news/more-reasons-than-ever-to-book-on-board/

Ouch -- taking away the incentive to buy those certificates. I just used one today for the October 6, 2017 double-crossing. There was a bit of a lag time when the Cunard agent had to talk to a supervisor. Don't know what that was about but I got the full OBC I was expecting. I think I have one more remaining that I purchased a few years ago. I guess I will have to book another trip! Katherine

On the USA side of the pond - I decided to book the 8/12/17 QM2 sailing last week. I purchased a FCC on board the QM2 last December and received the usual paperwork about obc, . I was sitting in front of my travel agent when she was trying to make the booking and at first Cunard refused to allow the $300 towards the fare: "not allowed - too close to sailing date." I was in disbelief.. My travel agent talked to a supervisor and they relented, however they would not give me the $100 obc I should be entitled too. Next day, we sent Cunard a copy of the paperwork I received on board and added to the argument that no changes had been made to the Future Cruise Credit discussion on their website. Looking again just now, FCC credit discussion no longer appears on the website. Told it will take up to two weeks for them to make a decision on the obc. Booking this voyage was not a good experience - had to take a guaranteed cabin but later did a dummy booking (after the price went down two days after I booked!) and online I could have picked a cabin. Flights were also an issue............I am sure I will have a wonderful time on this voyage and if the seas are smooth, it does not really matter where your cabin is..............

Hi Keula Lake Sailor. Nice to 'see' you again. I also purchased a Future Credit on that cruise. Would you not be entitled to a $300 OBC under US booking terms? What possible justification could there be for that FCC not being applicable -too close to sailing date weeks away? Computers can't make that adjustment ?

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

P&O recently announced that as of July 2nd they will no longer sell FCD: passengers will still be able to book cruises onboard for £50 deposit and will have two weeks grace after the cruise on which they made the booking to change it to another cruise of equal or greater value. It looks like Carnival are gradually standardising on board sales incentives across their brands down to the lowest common denominator, and the missing FCD page on Cunard's web site may be a sign it'll be happening to Cunard soon.

http://www.pocruises.com/explore/articles/news/more-reasons-than-ever-to-book-on-board/

I get the impression from reading Cunard's website that if you want to buy FCD to get OBC, you now need to book the cruise onboard.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/onboard_sales

This wasn't the case when we purchased ours earlier this month. We got the usual confirmation letter onboard plus emails saying we need to book a cruise within 12 months.

I get the impression from reading Cunard's website that if you want to buy FCD to get OBC, you now need to book the cruise onboard.

They don't mention FCD at all so it does look like it's been quietly dropped and the only benefits of booking on board are the low(ish) deposit and the OBC. No mention of any grace period after the cruise on which the booking was made in which to transfer the booking to another cruise as per P&O, but that might be an accidental omission.

Hi Salacia, Greetings and I hope all is well.................No, I should only get $100. Paperwork says on a 6 to 9 day cruise, its $100 PP Inside and Outside categories and in the fine print it says if traveling solo, only one payout and I am sailing alone this time ............I was very glad I was using a travel agent because if I had been told personally that I could not use the $300 towards the fare, I would have been very upset and not very polite , but agent remained calm and resolved the issue. The excuse that its too close to the sailing date seems so far fetched - you have to wonder what else the bean counters are going to decide in the future. Paperwork seems very straight forward and I cannot see how they can deny me the $100. Of course, I really cannot see why its an issue at all - I will post the outcome. .......Friend I was traveling with last December has been on the Victoria and QM2 this year - she tells me she was told on board that there is no longer any benefit to buying a FCC. No obc and does not count as a deposit. ...............I tried to see if there were any changes over night on the Cunard site about FCC, site is down again this morning..............

I must have older certificates -- I believe mine said good for 3, maybe 4 years. Anyone remember what the certificates used to say? I have now used 2 that were older than a year -- I know because I have not sailed on Cunard for almost 2 years. I am traveling for 14 days and received $400 OBC. Katherine

So we do have 4 years to travel. I cannot figure out why Cunard is giving you a hard time about the OBC. Very concerning.

I remember one time when I used a certificate with my travel agent and was given $100 OBC and I thought it should have been $200. Onboard I talked to one of the ship agents and she straightened it out for me. You might try that. Good luck. Katherine

I think the confusion arises because for UK travellers they are only valid for 1 year.

While I hope you are correct, I'm reading that there is a change regarding the terms of Future Cruise Credit for all bookings (UK and otherwise)? (For example, see Ray's post #10)

Regards -S.

I posted the question re future cruise deposits on Cunard's Facebook page today and they have replied saying they are not stopping them, when I asked about the missing link on website they said "ongoing maintenance with website".

Someone sailing next week is going to report back once on board as to whether FCD are still available.

The future cruise deposit page setting out the scheme for UK travellers has returned and appears to be the same as before.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-you-sail/Future_Cruise_Deposits/

Hopefully the page is back to stay and the scheme will remain. (yn)

M-AR

So assuming I've managed to persuade DH to invest in FCD :D can I book my cruise through a travel agent or do I have to go through Cunard?

Yes , either if you didn't designate the TA that booked the cruise that you are on . That TA is usually assigned your FCC automatically unless you change that upon purchase .

Sent from my iPad using Forums