Category 1a On Carnival??

cruisin_fanatic

Hey Everyone,

I just found out that Carnival has a stateroom category called 1A. This apparently is not something that they actively advertise because its a much cheaper room. I also found out that you also can ask for the 1A guarantee where you can possibly get bumped up. I am in the process of booking a cruise on the Valor for April 07 and they had some port hole rooms in this category...some have bunk beds with a sofa and some have the separate twin beds. After comparing the prices of the 1A to the 4A and 6A categories, I figured this category would really appeal to someone on a tight budget or looking to save a bit of money. You have to ask for this category being that they wont proactively tell you about it. Not sure why Carnival is keeping this secret. Anyways, I just want to know if anyone else has booked on the 1A category and what was your experience and what other info could you tell me about it? :confused:

Thanks!:)

i always get a 1a. depending on what ship and how many are in a cabin..you can get a 1a on some of the newer ships with 2 large windows. i usually go solo or with only one other person and so saving a few bucks plus windows is all good for me. i was on the glory in sept and got cabin 2445. it had a single lower and a pullman above but since it was only me it was great. the room is (well seemed) lot larger than other 1a's i have had. it was really nice

Had 1a on all CCL cruises but one. Cabin slightly smaller than 4a [average about 15 feet smaller]. Adequate storage/bathroom/et cetera. On some ships, as you've discovered, configurations can vary. You might want to keep that in mind if size/bed configuration/window is an issue.

Please don't book a guarantee "banking" on an upgrade. I booked six 1a guarantees....got the 1a cabin five times

For my upcoming first cruise (with the exception of a crappy gambling day cruise), I got a 1A on the Ecstasy. I'm sleeping alone, but going with family, who are helping to pay for it...because I'm poor. :p

It seems to be among 5 isolated oddball cabins down in the bowels of the ship, lol! But I think I'll like it, I'm kind of an oddball, and always end up with the out of the ordinary.:D

For a 4-day cruise from Galveston to Cozumel, with tax title and license, it is $535.80.

I'm getting absoutely no work done since I found this forum. :mad: :D

My cabin... (let me know if the image doesn't show up..my first pic post)

118072173-O.jpg

On my first Carnival cruise I had a 1A. I'm not picky about my cabin since I rarely spend much time there... except to sleep, drop off shopping stuff, shower and get dressed.

I was on the Conquest. I had cabin 1435. It was the largest cabin I've ever had. I've cruises Princess 4x and NCL 2x.

It was set up with bunkbeds, but since I was traveling alone, the upper kunk was pushed up into the ceiling. Very spacious, lots of storage and the bathroom wasn't as small as otherr lines.

I'd go for a 1A again anytime I travel alone.

For my upcoming first cruise, I got a 1A on the Ecstasy. It seems to be among 5 isolated oddball cabins down in the bowels of the ship, lol! But I think I'll like it, I'm kind of an oddball, and always end up with the out of the ordinary.:D

Just off the Ecstasy 12/11-12/16. E cabins are not in the "bowels of the ship". It is the Empress Deck. That deck is where the purser's/information desk is. It is also where the Shore Excursion Desk is. The Lobby of the Atrium and the Art Gallery are on this deck. When you embark and disembark at home port, it will be to this deck. We were on the Empress Deck Forward E16. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

I was in E185 on Ecstasty in August and it was a great room at an even better price. I didn't think that a person could do a cruise for such a small amount of $$$$. Even with the single person upcharge, it was a great deal.

Just off the Ecstasy 12/11-12/16. E cabins are not in the "bowels of the ship". It is the Empress Deck. That deck is where the purser's/information desk is. It is also where the Shore Excursion Desk is. The Lobby of the Atrium and the Art Gallery are on this deck. When you embark and disembark at home port, it will be to this deck. We were on the Empress Deck Forward E16. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Cool! (Sorry for calling it the "bowels" of the ship :p Just meant that by the way they're sandwiched sideways inbetween the other regular rows of cabins.) Sounds great that's the deck to embark/debark, and where the lobby of the atrium is. There's going to be 9 other family members with me, so it sounds like a good deck to meet on. I wasn't at all thrilled about going on this cruise at first, but this forum has me really looking forward to it! Thanks!

I do a 1A cabin nearly all the time since I travel SOLO a lot. They have all been great, some have been upgraded to 4A's. But you take your chances when you get the GTY. I especially like the inside sideways (because of the configuration of the room) cabins. They seemed to be roomier, True they lack a couch and only a single twin bed, but more floor space makes the cabin seem larger. Also if you are lucky enough to get the porthole rooms the light is just enough to make it feel like you booked an outside cabin.

I've also booked 1A's as a solo. Great deal! If you look at Carnival's brochures, it doesn't mention 1A's anymore but they are the beige-colored rooms. Scattered all over the ships. Some on upper decks. Room does seem bigger because I don't use the pull-down. They are fine for me!

Becky

Hey Everyone,

I just found out that Carnival has a stateroom category called 1A. This apparently is not something that they actively advertise because its a much cheaper room.

WOW, how have they kept that hidden only from you:confused: :confused:

For my upcoming first cruise (with the exception of a crappy gambling day cruise), I got a 1A on the Ecstasy. I'm sleeping alone, but going with family, who are helping to pay for it...because I'm poor. :p

So...that's the 1a. I have been wondering what those cabins were. i thought perhaps, that the cabin stewards got bumped up.

I myself knew of them, because of you guys, but never looked at them because I'm with my wife and family................folks are always talking about the ones with the two portholes on the Valor , I didn't think about the Miracle having them. Right now my SIL is one of our Upper deck extended balconies in a row........at the solo "1 day sale" rate of $1675...........I just saw the solo 1A normal website rate is $864. We know it would be great with 3 or 4 cabins together having the divier's opened but her saving $811........isn't that shabby either.

She's the third of four cabins......I'm assuming if she wants to switch, my PVP(I booked all of them) can move her to the 1A and then reassign my parents to her cabin so that we still have 3 in a row. Is this a correct assumption?

1207, 1208, 1211 and 1212 are all cat 1A with portholes(at least if I understand correctly)...by the way, this is the Valor.

You understand correctly. Some 1a cabins on Conquest-class ships [and maybe a few others] have portholes/windows. I've been in 2465 [full window] and 2211 [portholes] on the Conquest. In 2211 11/06.

Cool! (Sorry for calling it the "bowels" of the ship :p Just meant that by the way they're sandwiched sideways inbetween the other regular rows of cabins.) Sounds great that's the deck to embark/debark, and where the lobby of the atrium is. There's going to be 9 other family members with me, so it sounds like a good deck to meet on. I wasn't at all thrilled about going on this cruise at first, but this forum has me really looking forward to it! Thanks!

This was my first cruise, a gift from my BF and her DH. You will love it. I like you got hooked off of this forum. There is a world of information out there about cruising. In 2 months time I became more educated about it than my BF who was going on her 3rd cruise. :D

And by the way, I did not know about this cat either and I too was wondering what the beige cabins were. My BF did not know either.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Cruise solo and I always book Cat. 1A, usually guaranteed. My next cruise, I have been bumped up to Cat. 4D. I don't really care where I am on the ship. I stay up to the wee hours, drink loads of Foo-Foo's so by the time I go to bed, I could sleep in the engine room and not be bothered by the noise.

On the Destiny, I confirmed a Cat. 1A with 2 portholes. Every other time, when I book Cat. 1A guaranteed, I have been upgraded to at least a Cat. 4A or 4B which is an inside with two twin beds on the lower decks. However, since cruising solo, I doubt if I will ever get anything higher than a 4 something upgrade.

Carnival also does not provide pictures or a "vitual tours" of the cabins in this category. I don't think they are really hiding them. I believe there are just limited number of cabins in the category on each ship and Carnival would much rather people book Cat 4A or 4B. Generally same room/location but the price is higher. On the Carnival website they are right there at the bottom of the list of cat/cabins and prices.

I've also booked 1A's as a solo. Great deal! If you look at Carnival's brochures, it doesn't mention 1A's anymore but they are the beige-colored rooms. Scattered all over the ships. Some on upper decks. Room does seem bigger because I don't use the pull-down. They are fine for me!Becky

You are lucky to get a 1A on the Empress Deck of Ecstasy. It appears that those rooms on the internet are now color-coded to be green interior staterooms. Lighter than the oceanview stateroom green, but not beige and no 1A SR are listed for empress deck, just riveria.:confused:

Archived