Puzzled!

Robyn2

Am looking at a last minute Rio to Miami March 4th on Mariner. The thing is it's available in all categories, guaranteed in a few. There is only one entry on the roll call forum. There definitely seems to be a lack of interest in this cruise, am wondering why. Is it itinerary or what? Any thoughts please?:

No idea. I know that still being in the working gang, I can't get away for that length of time but the itinerary looked interesting.

And I've also noticed that the Roll Call participation seems to have dropped way off on our last few cruises...to the point that there are maybe three people posting, if that. I'd have to check, but I don't think I've seen even one other post for our upcoming cruise in July.

Am looking at a last minute Rio to Miami March 4th on Mariner. The thing is it's available in all categories, guaranteed in a few. There is only one entry on the roll call forum. There definitely seems to be a lack of interest in this cruise, am wondering why. Is it itinerary or what? Any thoughts please?:

We just got back from sailing this itinerary on the Mariner (Dec 23 - Jan 13). It was a very enjoyable cruise. But there are quite a few sea days and the port attractions are somewhat limited. We had a similar experience with the amount of availability when we booked and while watching availability in the weeks prior to sailing. However when we got onboard, there were approx. 670 passengers out of a possible 700. And nobody ever posted on the Roll Call page. The Mariner was in beautiful condition and the staff was fantastic.

Thank you, it does seem like roll call posts do not reflect the amount of interest or bookings, not everyone is so hooked on CC. :). Glad you enjoyed the cruise SS, was it unbearably humid on the Amazon? Am at about 50/50 on booking right now although the timing is not the best for us.

It was hot and humid, but not unbearable (I've experienced far worse). However, we left the Amazon right at the end of the dry season. As a result, there were no problems with mosquitos (although we did have our Yellow Fever shots & anti-Malaria pills). Not too sure how long the wet season lasts. We were quite fortunate with the weather during our entire time including 2 days in Rio plus the 21 days of cruising. Had a bit of rain, but not enough to be worth mentioning.

Our last 4 cruises have been on Seabourn and we wondered whether we would be disappointed in returning to Regent. That being said, we were very pleased with refurbishment of the Mariner, along with the fantastic/friendly staff. The food was very good, although not quite as good as Seabourn. I would not hesitate to recommend the Mariner to anyone.

We boarded the Mariner last Wednesday in Miami and are sailing the full 72-night Grand Voyage. The segment you are considering will be the 4th and final segment of this voyage. We had an afternoon tea today for all of the full-voyage people. There are 90 of us that will still be on board to greet you when you arrive if you choose to join us...Plus whoever else decides to embark on this exciting trip. 🙂

Wow 72 nights - don't you get bored of the clothng you packed?

We're into the basics as far as clothes are concerned and just switch things around for a little variety. But the best part is having THEM do the laundry...absolutely love the benefit. For those who prefer to bring more wearables....Regent will ship 2 (50 lb) cases per person between your home and the ship when booking the longer Grand Voyages. FedEx picked them up about 8 days prior to our sailing date nd they were in our suite when we arrived. Sure makes traveling easier, but that also means you could ship those cases and also check bags for your flight as you normally would....allowing you to take quite a bit with you.

We are booked on Mariner in November, Miami/Miami in the Caribbean, and I am the only poster on its Roll Call. Many other itineraries are also very quiet. Regent has Block Parties on many cruises. Officers join servers with carts of drinks and snacks in the hallways. People in the staterooms come out and meet their neighbors, so st least everyone meets locals. That seems to suffice for Regent passengers. Since drinks are and excursions are included, I guess there is little motivation to talk about them. When we've sailed on Regent, we had a very good time. Our fellow passengers were very similar to the people we meet on Oceania. In fact. some of them sail on both, as we do.

Mary

We are booked on Mariner in November, Miami/Miami in the Caribbean, and I am the only poster on its Roll Call. Many other itineraries are also very quiet. Regent has Block Parties on many cruises. Officers join servers with carts of drinks and snacks in the hallways. People in the staterooms come out and meet their neighbors, so st least everyone meets locals. That seems to suffice for Regent passengers. Since drinks are and excursions are included, I guess there is little motivation to talk about them. When we've sailed on Regent, we had a very good time. Our fellow passengers were very similar to the people we meet on Oceania. In fact. some of them sail on both, as we do.

Mary

Very interesting observations. We have found that many Oceania cruisers do not care for Regent (and visa versa). You are 100% correct that we (Regent cruisers) don't "talk" about many things that are talked about on Oceania (i.e. taking booze on board - whether it is allowed or not -- if you have to have your drinks in your "cabin" or if you can take them to dinner -- corkage fees (that do not exist on Regent).

In terms of Roll Calls which I guess is the subject of this thread, Oceania has very active Roll Calls since many of the excursions on Oceania are extraordinarily expensive and people are looking for others to share in private excursions (love that part of Oceania). Some Regent Roll Calls are extremely active (our Cape Town to Cape Town cruise in November was and our Rome to Miami cruise on the Explorer is extremely active.

We have had three cruises in South America and do not feel the need to do more or to repeat ports. This is very different from how we feel about Asia, Africa and Europe -- places that we are happy to return to. I understand that many people love South America....... we are more lukewarm about the ports (and dislike Rio intensely). I think that the Roll Calls on some South American itineraries are simply because Regent's well-traveled passengers have "been there - done that". However, Regent has wonderful incentives that should fill up the ship shortly before your cruise. Truly hope that your cruise exceeds your expectations.