JAR on the Explorer

shuguley

To my knowledge, JAR is slowly being replaced with NCL's in-house trained entertainers (reported to be much better than JAR). While they are already on at least one Oceania ship, I assume Regent is waiting for the contracts to run out on their ships. Since the Explorer is not under contract with anyone (that I know of), I'm hoping that they will be able to have much better shows.

TC2, we hear on board that JAR is out. When I don't know. They also had a lot of 6PM shows. Ray did 2 shows in 28 days.

Thanks for the update! Not sure what I think about 6PM shows (except for Krew Kapers) because it sets up another scenario when a large group of passengers get out of the theater at the same time and head to CR. This usually creates slower service.

I hear that Ray will be on the Explorer when it debuts -- he is such a talented man!

Although we have not sailed on Crystal, it is pretty much accepted by luxury cruisers that Crystal has the best entertainment of any luxury cruise line. People basically do not sail on Regent, Seabourn or Silversea for their entertainment (although I believe that Regent's entertainment is better than Silversea and possibly Seabourn). Having said that, I am hopeful that the entertainment will improve on Regent when the new entertainment company joins Regent (not for another few months).

Hope you enjoy your first Regent cruise!

P.S. The entertainment on the Mariner is the same as on other Regent ships.

Edited by Travelcat2

One of my friends is a Broadway producer and at one time took his traveling company on Regent ships and it was very well received - however, unlike some of the other cruise lines which still reach out and try to obtain top-notch entertainment, that is one area that Regent seriously cut the budget when they were no longer associated with Radisson and continues to this day.

I have never been a fan of the JAR company, but then again living in NYC I go to Broadway shows quite often, so I openly admit my views are biased.

I find it interesting that some posters believe that passengers on Regent do not book for the entertainment - while that may not be one of the most important criteria, I do know from experience that many passengers look forward to high quality entertainment and are disappointed when it does not deliver. I know that my friends traveling company is quite busy entertaining on other cruise lines, wish that Regent would start expanding their horizon and bring in better quality entertainment - it is out there and available.

gnomie :)

Again, must disagree with cutbacks - this time in terms of entertainment. Besides for knowing that there was not a cutback in entertainment, I personally feel that JAR was a dramatic improvement over the last entertainment company. Further, while NCL is not a cruise line that we would sail on, they have excellent entertainment (not only my opinion).

All I can say at this point is don't believe me -- wait and see what Regent will have in the future and then please post your comments. I look forward to it.

Edited by Travelcat2

We find the 6 pm shows so annoying. I am usually still in the shower. Have recently sailed on the Voyager from Dubai to Singapore, Nov - Jan there were far too may 6 pm shows for our liking so except for cruise capers which we love to support, we never went. We had a lot of European passengers on this trip and wonder if it was in difference to the fact they like to late - so the shows were geared to them, Have no idea. But we surely are not in favour of the early shows

And for the record we are in our mid 70's. We dance all nite so not early birders

I also do not like the 6 pm shows. We like to eat at 6:30. If we go to the show, it seems there is a crush of people as soon as the show gets over, so the options are to miss part of the show and go at our preferred time or eat late along with everyone else. Neither to my liking.

It is interesting to read that the Voyager had 6:00 p.m. shows because the Mariner did not on our recent cruise (November 24th - December 23rd). Were these the regular shows being shown at an earlier time - replacing the 9:30 p.m. show? Perhaps they are just trying it out and looking for customer feedback.

I would not be in favor of it for the reason Rachael posted.

They were instead of evening shows. They often showed movies at night - can you believe that one night they showed "Charlie Brown" to a ship full of adults

Thank you for clarifying. "Charlie Brown" - omg!!!!! Not sure what Regent is thinking. Hopefully the "new" shows will soon be on all Regent sailings:)