Off to a bad start on Voyager!

kmkord

Someone with a serious allergy e.g. anaphylactic, would not leave home - even to go the the shops - without the appropriate medication. Regent has been very accommodating with my allergies and I am always vigilant. It's so easy, however, to 'hide' ingredients such as mushrooms and by default truffles and it's lucky your social hostess picked up on it and hopefully reported it.

We're on the Voyager in a couple of months so I hope it's a great experience for us as well, but I will be extra careful knowing they missed this. Thanks for the alert and the otherwise positive review of your experience. We can't wait!!

Having a fabulous time on the Voyager. Wonderful group of solo travelers on this sailing.

Service has been a bit slow in Compass Rose and setti Mari, but seems to be getting better as we go along. Only issue since boarding was an unfortunate incident in Sette Mari during dinner last night. The description on one of the pasta dishes was listed as a mincemeat ravioli. I ordered the ravioli, and started eating it when the social hostess, who has also ordered the ravioli said that it was the truffle ravioli and not the mincemeat. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to truffles, and had a reaction pretty quickly.

Prior to that happening, I has asked the server if any of the bruschetta or other items she placed on the table contained mushrooms. She said no, so I knew she was aware of my allergy. Luckily, I had only eaten a few bites. I immediately went to my room and took the proper antidote. We are in Kuala Lampur today, but I'm still feeling tired from the medication so I stayed on board. All is well now and I look forward to the final days of this sailing. I have already booked my next regent cruise on the voyager in May.

Sorry to hear about your incident. For those with food allergies and sensitivities, in addition to self-awareness, of course, so much seems to depend on the awareness and vigilance of the person serving you. On our first cruise with Regent, on the Mariner in 2009, my wife, who has a sensitivity to scallops, inadvertently ate some at a welcome aboard cocktail party and was knocked out of commission for a few days. It was not mentioned that the seafood canapé she was offered contained scallops. On our latest voyage, also on the Mariner in 2015, a server, knowing nothing of my wife’s sensitivity, quickly volunteered that a seafood dish contained unmentioned scallops when my wife was about to order it. Accordingly, she was able to avoid a repeat episode. My wife greatly appreciated that the server proactively mentioned this. I am hoping that awareness has improved over the years, but again a lot depends on the knowledge and experience of your server. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.