On board credit question

Suzez

New to the Regent experience. We have some money coming back to us from Regent in the form of on board credit. Does this show somewhere on our personaliser/account. I have looked everywhere and can not see anything about on board credit that is added. Should we not get confirmation of this from Regent? Thank you

It should be listed on the bottom of your invoice - if you are working with a TA, have them forward you the paperwork from Regent. Your TA should be able to confirm that it is there.

It is also listed when you get your boarding package from Regent.

I have never seen it listed on my RSSC account on line.

When you board, in your suite will be a cards listing all the OBC that you are entitled to - in all our cruises, it has always been correct.

gnomie :)

Jumping in here: Remind me, please, how one uses OBC for up-charge excursions.

Suzez: I hope you don't mind my intrusion on your question, and I hope you will enjoy your first Regent experience. We have much enjoyed every one of our cruises on Mariner and Voyager (have never been on Navigator).

Suzez: I hope you don't mind my intrusion on your question, and I hope you will enjoy your first Regent experience. We have much enjoyed every one of our cruises on Mariner and Voyager (have never been on Navigator).

Hi Poss. You book and pay for the excursion in advance. Then, as long as the excursion is not full, you cancel and rebook onboard and get your money back (in cash - they do not put it back on your credit card).

Not at all :)

It should be listed on the bottom of your invoice - if you are working with a TA, have them forward you the paperwork from Regent. Your TA should be able to confirm that it is there.

It is also listed when you get your boarding package from Regent.

I have never seen it listed on my RSSC account on line.

When you board, in your suite will be a cards listing all the OBC that you are entitled to - in all our cruises, it has always been correct.

gnomie :)

Hi, I have had confirmation via email and one is a forward email from Regent. It was confirmed that it does not show on my online account.

Hi Poss. You book and pay for the excursion in advance. Then, as long as the excursion is not full, you cancel and rebook onboard and get your money back (in cash - they do not put it back on your credit card).

Am I right in thinking that you can booked a 'paid for' tour, then you get the money back in cash when you cancel on board? Do you have to book something else to be able to do this?

All of our tours we have booked are included, so we plan on using our OBC for treatments, maybe a nice bottle of wine or 2.

Thanks, Tc. Ah, I hadn't realized that one couldn't make that exchange unless the excursion wasn't full. I know that we've managed the trick in the past, but hadn't realized that stipulation. I guess I don't "get" the rule: I.e. if someone is standing at the counter, and cancels and then immediately rebooks what would be the problem? I guess the sticking point would be that others were on the wait list, and it'd be only fair if they got dibs first? That does make sense now that I think of it.

Thanks, Tc. Ah, I hadn't realized that one couldn't make that exchange unless the excursion wasn't full. I know that we've managed the trick in the past, but hadn't realized that stipulation. I guess I don't "get" the rule: I.e. if someone is standing at the counter, and cancels and then immediately rebooks what would be the problem? I guess the sticking point would be that others were on the wait list, and it'd be only fair if they got dibs first? That does make sense now that I think of it.

It is possible that as soon as a cancellation is entered into the system, the first person on the wait list fills the spot. In any case, it is always worth a try. We generally are able to make the change. Good luck!

This is no longer the case.....there is NO restriction for the excursion being full or not full to allow you to rebill using onboard credit. As stated by TC, book and pay in advance. Once you are on the ship, visit the Destinations desk before your tour and request a rebilling to use OBC. They will immediately reprint your excursion ticket and exchange the old and new tickets. It does not matter if the tour is full or not. At any time after that you may get a cash refund at the Reception desk.

I have done this many times on sold-out tours. Additionally, to confirm this, I spoke to the Destinations manager, and it is easily done.

Hope this helps.

Am I right in thinking that you can booked a 'paid for' tour, then you get the money back in cash when you cancel on board? Do you have to book something else to be able to do this?

You are correct. You don't have to book a replacement excursion to get money back in cash when you cancel a pre-paid excursion. You can take the cash on the spot or put it in your account as refundable credit and then take it out later or use it for onboard purchases. If you also have nonrefundable onboard credit, Regent will use the nonrefundable credit before using any refundable credit.

Hope this helps.

If you exchange the excursion ticket purchased with cash prior to boarding for one paid with non-refundable shipboard credit after you board can you still return it later and get cash back? In the past you could not do that because it would be a way around getting cash back for non- refundable shipboard credit.

Am I missing something or am I confused (completely possible)?

If you exchange the excursion ticket purchased with cash prior to boarding for one paid with non-refundable shipboard credit after you board can you still return it later and get cash back? In the past you could not do that because it would be a way around getting cash back for non- refundable shipboard credit.

While I did not look at this as a way to get cash back for non-refundable shipboard credit, I guess that is what happens when you book and pay for an excursion in advance and subsequently cancel and rebook using OBC's. When we book and pay for an excursion, we do so with the intention of going on the excursion. There is no guarantee that you can rebook onboard so, IMO, it would not be a good idea to book an excursion that you are not interested in with the hope that you'll get money back. If the excursion fills up, there will be no refund.

If you think about it, if you book and pay for an excursion prior to the cruise and decide that you don't want to do it, you will get your money back (if it is before the sailing date, Regent in Miami will refund your credit card --if you are onboard, you receive cash). I certainly would not recommend this as a way to get around the non-refundable OBC issue.

My impression is that Regent refunds the price of an extra cost excursion in the same "currency" you used to pay for it. So when you book an excursion onboard and have enough credit to pay for it, the onboard credit is the "currency." If you later cancel the excursion, the refund increases the amount of onboard credit you have available to use. Once you've received your refund in more available onboard credit, the normal Regent prohibition against cashing out nonrefundable credit would apply.

Hope this helps and doesn't just add to the confusion.

Edited by DaveFr

Thank, Dave. What you said is in line with what I thought and with what has always been our experience.

TC2 I wasn't planning on doing the above I was just trying to understand if something had changed with the process. I can think of more rewarding things to do with my time than manipulate the OBC. Thanks for alerting me.

My impression is that Regent refunds the price of an extra cost excursion in the same "currency" you used to pay for it. So when you book an excursion onboard and have enough credit to pay for it, the onboard credit is the "currency." If you later cancel the excursion, the refund increases the amount of onboard credit you have available to use. Once you've received your refund in more available onboard credit, the normal Regent prohibition against cashing out nonrefundable credit would apply.

Hope this helps and doesn't just add to the confusion.

Your earlier post said approximately the same thing that mine did but your last post did not sound as if it pertained to the issue of booking and paying for an excursion in advance of your cruise and later cancelling the cruise on board the ship. I agree with your explanation of booking and then cancelling an excursion on board.

When you book and pay for an excursion prior to the cruise (usually done months in advance), and then cancel while onboard, the excursion refund increases the amount of onboard credit that you have available to use but it also becomes "refundable" and only payable in cash. We have done this transaction two or three times and this how it worked. While we have preferred that the refund go back on our credit card, apparently Regent is not able to do this onboard.

Suzez, your understanding is correct. This has only to do with Regent Choice excursions that you pay for in advance.

Anchorbuoy, your post confused me. I'm not sure what "rebill" means in this situation. Is this in reference to cancelling and booking another Regent Choice excursion (I'm thinking this because you mentioned reprinting tickets). This is an unwritten policy that Regent has and it is certainly possible that the excursion you are cancelling can be full and you can still get the refund (when the "policy" originally went into place a few years ago you could not cancel a full excursion and rebook).

Eager2Travel: Definitely not thinking of you when I made those comments. At the time I posted I thought that someone reading this thread would think of this as a way of getting refundable credits. Obviously I was wrong because the money you are getting back was your money in the first place. This subject is more confusing that air deviation:confused:

IMO, all of this would be so much easier if you could book online and pay once you get on board - either with OBC's, a credit card or cash (as is done on other cruise lines).

Edited by Travelcat2

Suzez, your understanding is correct. This has only to do with Regent Choice excursions that you pay for in advance.

Thank you, just curious to know. Our OBC will probably be spent at The Canyon Ranch and shopping :)

Anchorbuoy,

I read what you posted. My TA told me today that if the excursion you booked has to be NOT sold out to cancel and rebook in order to be refunded the monies you paid on your

Amex…and charge the excursion to your ship board account aka shipboard credit.

Did you call Regent yourself to get this information? Let me know as I will probably have enough shipboard credit to pay for the excursions I have already paid for.

Thanks!

Anchorbuoy,

I read what you posted. My TA told me today that if the excursion you booked has to be NOT sold out to cancel and rebook in order to be refunded the monies you paid on your Amex…and charge the excursion to your ship board account aka shipboard credit.

Did you call Regent yourself to get this information? Let me know as I will probably have enough shipboard credit to pay for the excursions I have already paid for.

Thanks!

The "cannot be sold out" is incorrect knowledge. That may have been the case a few years ago, but it is not the case now.

We do this "rebill" on every cruise in which we book, and pay, for Regent Choice extra cost excursions. That is, we book online, and pre-pay using a credit card. When we get to the ship, we visit Destinations, and "rebill". The process for "rebilling" is straight forward. Destinations credits your account with Refundable dollars and charges using your OBC or Non-refundable dollars. Both the charge and credit show on your onboard account, but the net is Zero. This transaction allows you to request a cash refund of the Refundable dollars, and of course you use up some OBC dollars. Simple as that.

No restrictions for "sold out". Such a restriction just doesn't make sense, because you are on the tour one way or the other.

In the process, Destinations (for whatever internal bookkeeping reasons), takes back your original tour tickets that should be in your room, and reprints a replacement ticket for the same tour and time. It won't matter to you, they just do it.

We are on Navigator, and we spoke directly with Destinations manager. They are far more knowledgeable about how this is handled, because they do it every cruise.

Destinations credits your account with Refundable dollars and charges using your OBC or Non-refundable dollars. Both the charge and credit show on your onboard account, but the net is Zero. This transaction allows you to request a cash refund of the Refundable dollars, and of course you use up some OBC dollars.

So if you prefer the refund in cash versus having it remain as OBC, can you request that immediately after the rebilling? Or must you wait until the end of the voyage and monitor that you don't accidentally spend the refundable OBC?

So if you prefer the refund in cash versus having it remain as OBC, can you request that immediately after the rebilling? Or must you wait until the end of the voyage and monitor that you don't accidentally spend the refundable OBC?

You can get a cash refund of refundable credit at any time during the voyage.

Travelcat2,

I booked online and paid for excursions…on my American Exp Card. I will have enough

shipboard credit to pay for those excursions. Will Regent give me CASH or credit the amount back to my credit card? I don't want anymore shipboard credit.

I'm somewhat confused on this. Thanks for your advice.

I want to use all of our shipboard credit…would have been great to pay for the excursions once onboard. I'm sure many passengers have shipboard credit and would like to use it towards excursions that cost money. Doing business with Regent has become very annoying.