Vibration on the Navigator

ais1951

I have a cabin on hold for a day on the Navigator for August . As I have never been on a Regent cruise before, and this is for a special occasion, I have been reading about vibration problems so now I am a little concerned. Will I be very aware of it on deck 5 in cabin 525. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Most of the vibration issues are in the aft cabins; yours is forward enough that there shouldn't be any real issues in that cabin. But bear in mind - people have very different tolerance levels for any noise and vibration. Our two previous cruises on Navigator were in 1002-1006 (family trip) and 932. We had more issues with pool deck noise in 932 than anything.

I'm sure there are others who have sailed in suites closer to yours who will chime in, but personally I wouldn't hesitate to have a cabin in that location (although I much prefer having a balcony, but that's just me).

PS - we're actually booked in 820 this summer, just a few suites up from your location, and we don't have any concerns with the vibration.

Edited by UUNetBill
Added a PS

I asked the same question as you when I was planning my Navigator cruise. I got a more mixed response than you, but decided to go ahead and book. As I have cruised many times, I thought those who complained about the Navigator were newer cruisers or oversensitive. After 17 days on the Navigator I could not wait to get off. We had several days of rough seas on the trip. Although the vibration was not especially horrible in our midship cabin (632, I think) when the stabilizers were on, there was a grinding noise that pervaded through ear plugs and I found most unpleasant.

Vibration is exceptionally bad at the front and the rear of the ship, which includes the theater and the lounges and Prime 7, so pretty much all public places.

I was very disappointed, as I like smaller ships and I really wanted to like the Navigator. I wouldn't sail her again.

We've sailed in both suites 520 and 616 in the last 4 years without noticing vibration that far forward. However, vibration was evident at the stern end of Compass Rose, the theater and Galileo's(sp. ?). To us it wasn't a big deal. We'd sail her again, but our next cruise will be on the Explorer in the W Med.

Oh dear , I think I'm more confused than I was before!

For some reason, discussing the Navigator can be confusing. Keep in mind that people have different tolerances in terms of vibration and noise. We would not book an aft suite but it does not bother some people at all. The area of the suite you booked will not feel the vibration.

On the other hand, the Navigator feels the "motion of the ocean" a bit more than other Regent ships. Since your cruise is in August, it is likely in the Mediterranean where the seas are not as rough (generally speaking) as in other parts of the world. To be honest, my concern would be more about the unbearable heat in that part of the world in August than sailing on the Navigator.

The Navigator is a beautiful little ship and there is no reason that you should not enjoy it.

On the other hand, the Navigator feels the "motion of the ocean" a bit more than other Regent ships. Since your cruise is in August, it is likely in the Mediterranean where the seas are not as rough (generally speaking) as in other parts of the world. To be honest, my concern would be more about the unbearable heat in that part of the world in August than sailing on the Navigator.

The Navigator is a beautiful little ship and there is no reason that you should not enjoy it.

A bit more?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

She has a hull built for a Soviet military ship and sails like one--and unlike any cruise ship I've ever been on. That alone is a very good reason to avoid her. The vibration everywhere aft is pervasive, and unacceptable on a ship billed as providing a "luxury" experience.

She has a hull built for a Soviet military ship and sails like one--and unlike any cruise ship I've ever been on. That alone is a very good reason to avoid her. The vibration everywhere aft is pervasive, and unacceptable on a ship billed as providing a "luxury" experience.

Yes, the hull was built to be a Soviet ice breaker and has added to some issues that the Navigator had (most of them were fixed a few years ago and she is undergoing a major refurbishment in a couple of months). Yes - there is an aft vibration but most suites are not aft and, at least for us, it is not a big deal to have some vibration in the theater or restaurant.

When you build a ship, it isn't until it is just about complete that vibrations are apparent. Many/most ships have some type of noise or vibration - after all, you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean and the movement of the sea causes things to move, creak......... drawers can open and close. This is not only a Navigator issue. Actually, the Voyager has an aft vibration (different than the Navigator) and the Mariner has an aft "harmonic distortion" at certain speeds that drives my DH crazy. Of course, there is the noise in the forward suites from the anchor - noise when the tenders are being lowered and lots of noise if you have a suite under the pool.

Preview photos of the Navigator (after refurbishment) are amazing. I look forward to the positive reviews that will be posted from passengers that sail on her this spring and summer.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have been fortunate to have sailed on the Regent ships.

Voyager, Paul Gauguin, Diamond, Mariner 6 times, Navigator, and March 2017 Explorer.

Had cabin 625 on Navigator and very little vibrations. That said just about everywhere

else on the ship was very noticeable. Horizon lounge was awful. Bottles behind the bar banging into each other. Drink glass moves while sitting at the bar are examples.

Only thing we liked about the ship was the constellation theater which was very comfortable. Needless to say we do not have any plans to sail on that ship again.

We have been fortunate to have sailed on the Regent ships.

Voyager, Paul Gauguin, Diamond, Mariner 6 times, Navigator, and March 2017 Explorer.

Had cabin 625 on Navigator and very little vibrations. That said just about everywhere

else on the ship was very noticeable. Horizon lounge was awful. Bottles behind the bar banging into each other. Drink glass moves while sitting at the bar are examples.

Only thing we liked about the ship was the constellation theater which was very comfortable. Needless to say we do not have any plans to sail on that ship again.

Navigator does not have either a Horizon Lounge or Constellation Theater.

Which ship are you describing?

Navigator does not have either a Horizon Lounge or Constellation Theater.

Which ship are you describing?

You're right! I am surprised that Regent changed the name of the Constellation Theater on the Navigator and now calls it the Seven Seas Lounge. Most interesting. I suspect that Jim was thinking about Gaileo's lounge on the Navigator.

Why would any Cruise ship line, especially one who specializes in luxury use a hull (or anything at all) built in the Soviet Union. That alone would stop us from sailing on the Navigator. I'm glad I read this thread, we were looking on some sailings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why would any Cruise ship line, especially one who specializes in luxury use a hull (or anything at all) built in the Soviet Union. That alone would stop us from sailing on the Navigator. I'm glad I read this thread, we were looking on some sailings.

Keep in mind that the Navigator was built by Radisson (before they changed their name to Regent two owners ago). The ship has been so popular that the current and previous owners (Apollo/Prestige Cruise Holdings and Apollo/NCHL) decided to invest more money into the ship and keep it going. NOTE: The hull was sold AFTER the fall of the Soviet Union and, IMO, is not a reason not to sail on a ship.

Keep in mind that the Navigator was built by Radisson (before they changed their name to Regent two owners ago). The ship has been so popular that the current and previous owners (Apollo/Prestige Cruise Holdings and Apollo/NCHL) decided to invest more money into the ship and keep it going. NOTE: The hull was sold AFTER the fall of the Soviet Union and, IMO, is not a reason not to sail on a ship.

We like the Mariner better.

I joined CC in summer of 2014, a total newbie was I. After roaming many of the threads here, Jim and I decided to take the leap and booked our first cruise aboard Regent Navigator, January 2015. I discussed our interest and excitement here on the CC Regent thread. To which TravelCat2 responded with the following post:

We would not sail on the Navigator again either...... however, I have posted this many times. Well, maybe would not say "never" but she is far from our favorite ship. As I have also posted, the Navigator has the least expensive fare and, IMO, is a decent introduction to luxury cruising which is probably why she is so popular. The cost of a Master Suite on a typical Caribbean cruise is less than on just about any luxury cruise line. However, it must be said that you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, there are many cruisers that will only sail on the Navigator. Different strokes...................... Even though the Silver Whisper is our favorite ship, I cannot honestly state that the food or service is better than Regent. The passengers on the Whisper are quite different since the majority of passengers on Silversea are non-Americans (not all the time -- just many times) while many passengers on the Navigator are "newbies". Silversea has many "formal" or "informal" (jackets required) nights. This is very different than on Regent.

The bottom line for us is that we would sail Silversea or Oceania rather than sailing on the Navigator. But, we would sail on the Voyager or Mariner over Silversea or Oceania (depending, of course, upon itinerary). Our Silversea cruises have been based on itinerary.

That bit above about Whisper passengers not being American in the main is worrying.

Edited by OctoberKat

I joined CC in summer of 2014, a total newbie was I. After roaming many of the threads here, Jim and I decided to take the leap and booked our first cruise aboard Regent Navigator, January 2015. I discussed our interest and excitement here on the CC Regent thread. To which TravelCat2 responded with the following post:

We would not sail on the Navigator again either...... however, I have posted this many times. Well, maybe would not say "never" but she is far from our favorite ship. As I have also posted, the Navigator has the least expensive fare and, IMO, is a decent introduction to luxury cruising which is probably why she is so popular. The cost of a Master Suite on a typical Caribbean cruise is less than on just about any luxury cruise line. However, it must be said that you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, there are many cruisers that will only sail on the Navigator. Different strokes...................... Even though the Silver Whisper is our favorite ship, I cannot honestly state that the food or service is better than Regent. The passengers on the Whisper are quite different since the majority of passengers on Silversea are non-Americans (not all the time -- just many times) while many passengers on the Navigator are "newbies". Silversea has many "formal" or "informal" (jackets required) nights. This is very different than on Regent.

The bottom line for us is that we would sail Silversea or Oceania rather than sailing on the Navigator. But, we would sail on the Voyager or Mariner over Silversea or Oceania (depending, of course, upon itinerary). Our Silversea cruises have been based on itinerary.

That bit above about Whisper passengers not being American in the main is worrying.

I am truly trying to understand the reason for your off-topic post. I stand behind everything I said. However, regarding the Navigator, I did not say that other people should not sail on her. I asked you if your Master Suite was under the "bridge" as we found the noise from the bridge very disturbing. My posts in response to yours were meant to be helpful. I still feel that the Navigator, because the price, is a good entry to Regent for newbies.

In terms of the percentage of non-Americans (I really should have said people not from North America) this is our choice. If you check out the "luxury" portion of Cruise Critic you will find that we are not interested in sailing Europa 2 for the same reasons. Again, our choice (and for reasons detailed on the luxury thread).

As Keith often says in his posts (I have the highest respect for this man), we all have choices and are fortunate to be able to sail on luxury cruise lines. To add to that, I would never judge people based on the reasons they choose to sail on a cruise line (or not sail on a cruise line).

Edited by Travelcat2

Oops. Sorry I said the wrong names. Travelcat2 is correct.

Oh I am talking about the Navigator.

Did not care much for the Diamond when it was in the fleet but

that was the way it was arranged and difficult to get around,

not the way it sailed or had any vibration problems.

Also liked the Paul Gauguin when it was in the fleet. Course

being in the French Polynesian waters it could have been a row boat

and we would have been happy since we could not believe we were there.

Really like the Voyager and Mariner and looking forward to

sailing on the Explorer.

Have had 9 cruises on that ship, 2010 to last week. Suites have been in many locations, but have not been bothered by vibration. Wife sometimes gets a wobbly tummy but that seems to be more a product of the sea state than of vibration.

In the fall of 2014 we sailed Navigator to Miami from Montreal. When we departed Norfolk underway to Charleston, the Capt. announced there will be heavy seas that night with an extreme roll at 0200 when they change course.. They shut down all weather decks, moved furniture off balconies, plastic wrapped bars to seal them, shut down elevators, tied down plants, etc. The next morning the Capt announced we went through 60 knots wind and 30 foot sea. It was a cake walk with cradle like rocking on the 5th deck where we were. Compare that to what recently happened to that Royal Caribbean ship in similar circumstances. Those big ships are wind sails and are inherently worse in bad seas. The vibration problem is caused by cavitation and it will always be there. Who built it is not important. What is, is its a much better handling ship in bad seas then any floating hotel. :o