Discounted cruises

swansong

I noticed today that Regent have discounted some cruises by 25% in the UK. A TA has taken a full page advertisement in a national newspaper showing this discount. Regent's own website shows the same discounts. ( 6th June / 13 June / 15 Sept / 3 Oct ) all on Navigator. The cheapest is £1999 ( GB pounds ). Staggering value in my opinion.

Is this a sign that Navigator is not attracting the business or a general decline in Med cruises due to the current issues in the region?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First, it is disappointing to hear that, once again, Regent is discounting itineraries in the U.K. and not the U.S. I guess this is a subject for another thread.

From what I have observed over the past couple of years, Med. cruises are selling poorly for all cruise lines. The proximity of some countries (Spain, Italy and Greece for instance) to the currently "troubled" areas causes concern to some people. On the other hand, if there is a choice of sailing on the Explorer or the Navigator, the choice is pretty clear.

Edited by Travelcat2

The discounted cruises are advertised as 25th Anniversary cruise special discounts, so they will no doubt be across the board offers would they not?

I have not even heard of "25th Anniversary cruise special discounts" and they do not appear on our rssc.com website under specials. This is the second year in a row that significant discounts have been available only in the U.K. I checked prices on one itinerary (June 6th on the Navigator)...... the least expensive price is 4,000 GBP ($5,799 U.S.).

There are some air discounts that we receive in the U.S. but nothing like the discounts described by the OP. I have not seen any cruise priced at 1,999 GBP ($2,861 U.S.) in years (if ever).

FYI here is a listing of the "specials" on the rssc.com website: https://www.rssc.com/specials/default.aspx (hope the link works)

Edited by Travelcat2

Very annoying that they would offer 25% discount in the UK but not the US. But I would have to see the fine print. I suspect that, like a lot of the special offers, this is cruise only (so no airfare, hotel, transfers, etc.) which makes it appear a much better deal.

I don't have any more IT experience than you, liptastic, but yes, when I clicked through TC's link, it opened a page with 25 cruises discounted by 25% to celebrate Regent's 25th Anniversary, though when I changed my "country of residence" to USA, that page disappeared.

I agree, it's annoying in a world market to discover price differences for an identical product, especially when one is on the more expensive side. But as Rachel suggested, we might not be comparing like for like here?

Thanks Gilly - what you discovered by switching countries is very interesting indeed.

Rachel: I agree that there may be differences in terms of flights, hotels, etc., but $3,000 worth? Flights from the U.K. to ports in the Med. are obviously less expensive than flying from North America. Also, we are all quoting prices for the least expensive suite which already does not include hotel or transfers (at least not in the U.S.)

I understand that there are differences in policies between the U.K. and the U.S. but do not understand this discrepancy. There is a thread (think it is on the Silversea board) regarding passengers in the U.K. being unable to book seats on British Airways until the cruise is paid in full. This is clearly different and is a benefit for those passengers residing in the U.S. and Canada.

While I would have hoped that Regent saw how upset non-U.K. residents were last year with the dramatic discounts that they would offer it to everyone (perhaps without included Business Class in the U.S.). In any case, I don't want to make a huge issue of it as was done previously. It is what it is and it is not going to send me off rushing to another cruise line where I would spend money and not enjoy it as much as Regent.

I have checked the website and the lower prices include everything that would normally be included such as air and transfers. The 25% is off all categories.

A year or so ago I was on a similarly reduced cruise, although I had paid the original price but I won't go there! And the British cruisers were a much larger percentage of the total, nearly 50% if I remember. I don't wish to appear snobbish but the majority were not the typical Regent cruisers and were more typical of P&O ( from my one and only experience of the line ). Consequently I would not knowingly book one of these trips. Each to their own but I guess it is a way of Regent getting to an audience they would not otherwise attract. Having sailed on Regent they may be unlikely to want to sail with anyone else!

swansong: We would also not want to book such a heavily discounted cruise. I do not feel it is snobbish to want to sail with "typical" Regent cruisers which simply means cruisers that can afford to sail on a luxury cruise line.

I recall when Regent discounted Alaska cruises and had a "kids sail free" promotion. Reports from the ship made the cruises sound more like NCL than Regent.

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention!

We were considering a Med cruise on the Navigator this Summer as we have nothing planned until next January except for this March. That is a long gap for us. However, I cannot bring myself to pay a surcharge just because I live in the United States. The discount for UK far surpasses our price even allowing for air fare. I don't mind paying a fair price to sail on Regent but I resent paying more than fellow passengers.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Travelcat, forgot to mention in the above post that it was me who added to the thread on this forum that I had had to pay last week for a cruise in September ( with Regent , not Silversea ) in order to choose my seats with BA.

Travelcat, forgot to mention in the above post that it was me who added to the thread on this forum that I had had to pay last week for a cruise in September ( with Regent , not Silversea ) in order to choose my seats with BA.

Thanks for letting me know. Sometimes I forget what "board" I'm on:)

The OP listed four cruises as having the 25% discount. Are those the only cruises with the discount for our other cruises discounted 25%?

25 cruises.

Some of the price differentials are dramatic.

For example on the July 5 Monte Carlo to Barcelona 8 night.

Cat E with all amenities the same -

UK £ price 2699 ~ using xe dot com ~ $3875.28

US $ price 8199.

What could account for > $4200 differential?

"a stunning collection of 25 sailings with savings of up to 25%"

25 cruises.

Some of the price differentials are dramatic.

For example on the July 5 Monte Carlo to Barcelona 8 night.

Cat E with all amenities the same -

UK £ price 2699 ~ using xe dot com ~ $3875.28

US $ price 8199.

What could account for > $4200 differential?

"a stunning collection of 25 sailings with savings of up to 25%"

This cruise Cat E is being sold on the RSSC Australia site for US$3499 ( of course without any air) Cat H is $2699.

This cruise Cat E is being sold on the RSSC Australia site for US$3499 ( of course without any air) Cat H is $2699.

Wow. Yes, Australia also being advertised the "stunning collection of 25 sailings with savings of up to 25%".

I looked at Cat E for comparison because it is the lowest level veranda suite showing availability. I can't imagine being in the Med and not having a veranda - a drawback of the Navigator (or I suppose an opportunity for those to whom it isn't important). The Cat H is waitlisted FWIW.

Australia

What's Included in This Cruise

FARES INCLUDE: Special Fares, Bonus Savings, FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel in Concierge Suites and Higher, FREE Specialty Restaurants, FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits, FREE Open Bars and Lounges PLUS In-Suite Mini-Bar Replenished Daily, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities, FREE WiFi throughout the ship* in Concierge Suites and Higher and much more.

UK

FARES INCLUDE: FREE Flights, FREE Business Class Flights in Penthouse Suites and Higher (indicated by the icon below), FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package in Concierge Suites and Higher, FREE WiFi Internet Access in Concierge Suites and Higher*, FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits, FREE Open Bars and Lounges Plus In-Suite Mini-Bar Replenished Daily, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities, FREE Ground Transfers, FREE 24-Hour Room Service and NO Charge for Specialty Restaurants and much more.

US

FARES INCLUDE: 2-For-1 All-Inclusive Fares, Early Booking Savings, FREE Roundtrip Air*, FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites and Higher on European Voyages (indicated by the icon below), FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel in Concierge Suites and Higher, FREE Specialty Restaurants, FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits, FREE Open Bars and Lounges PLUS In-Suite Mini-Bar Replenished Daily, FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities, FREE Unlimited WiFi for All Suite Categories throughout the ship*, FREE Transfers Between Airport and Ship and much more.

ededmd: As posted by the OP, it is important to consider the level of passengers that will be enticed by these lower prices. Passengers that can afford mainstream and lower premium cruise lines could be booking. While this would be okay if they did their due diligence and understood the ambience and culture of Regent, some passengers will board Regent and act as if they were on a mainstream cruise line. Even my DH did not think of that until I brought it to his attention. I seriously doubt if most of us would want to be on these sailings.

ededmd: As posted by the OP, it is important to consider the level of passengers that will be enticed by these lower prices. Passengers that can afford mainstream and lower premium cruise lines could be booking. While this would be okay if they did their due diligence and understood the ambience and culture of Regent, some passengers will board Regent and act as if they were on a mainstream cruise line. Even my DH did not think of that until I brought it to his attention. I seriously doubt if most of us would want to be on these sailings.

Where to start? "level of passenger" = is that code for ... class?

As for this: "While this would be okay if they did their due diligence and understood the ambience and culture of Regent, some passengers will board Regent and act as if they were on a mainstream cruise line." Seriously? Good heavenly days, stunned this was posted here.

Because the folk who usually cruise aboard Regent are ... a better class?

In all sincerity, disregarding various earlier kerfuffles, the post above is greatly to be regretted.

Edited by OctoberKat

Earlier in this thread I posted that I would not knowingly book a cruise that had been heavily discounted. I also said that this was not being snobbish!

Whilst I can't answer for TC my reasons are certainly nothing to do with 'class'.

My reasons are to do with expectations.

I expect my fellow passengers to be in all respects what I have experienced in the past on Regent in terms of outlook, behaviour, politeness etc. This is one of the ticks in my boxes. There are of course occasional exceptions but those are minor.

In my, albeit limited, experience of being on a discounted cruise we met several ( British ) cruisers who volunteered that they had taken advantage of the lower pricing as this compared favourably with that which they ended up paying on mainstream lines when everything was included. We did not meet any of these who had been with Regent before. I remember P&O, Celebrity and Fred Olsen being mentioned as their usual lines.

However, both my wife and I got quite fed up with the overwhelming moaning and negative comments regarding their perception of value for money. We heard it ( or overheard it ) in the bars on the excursions and in the corridors. None of those we met were intending travelling with Regent again if they had to pay a normal price. Their reasons were in the main lack of facilities that mainstream lines have such as shopping, bigger entertainment extravaganzas, food not 'british' enough! They did like being with a large British contingent (which we don't as in general we keep ourselves to ourselves).

They also would not have experienced before the standard and quality of service on board and the worry I have is that when there are large percentages of discounted first time passengers their expectations are not as high as regular luxury line passengers which could possibly lead to reduced standards.

I agree with TC that due diligence on their part would have identified those issues.

So, back to my point, we just didn't want to hear this as we were long term Regent customers who were ( and are ) happy with what we pay for. We haven't experienced this on any other cruises before and hope not to again.

Whilst statistically my report could be ripped to shreds, I felt I should share my reason hopefully to knock this class thing on the head.

On the Regent website there are 10 cruises that have lowered the cruise fares from the original fares along with lowering the purchase price of the Business Class Air tickets that are available to purchase in CAT D-H. Cruise fares have been lowered anywhere from

$1000 --$ 3,000 per person in all Categories. FREE Business Air is being offered to all

categories on the Dubai to Barcelona sailing. The original cost of those tickets was $999 each way for Suite CAT D-H. Those tickets are now FREE. The original cruise fare for CAT H was

$13,999…now $9,999. Anyone looking to book that cruise now is able to get a great price. Passengers who booked and made final payment on December 4th should be really

annoyed. The lowered cruise fares are in all categories.

One aspect of different t&c's which is rarely mentioned in these threads of 'your country has cheaper fares than mine' is the ability to cancel when booking from the US. In the UK we have hefty cancellation fees if we cancel after paying our deposit - an initial reservation is a fixed reservation. In the past we have met several Americans who have told us they book a few cruises at the same time then decide nearer the date which one they fancy. This practice does make the choice of cabins a bit restrictive for those of us who see a cruise and book it, or who try to book and find it is 'sold out'.

I have to say I agree with Swansong about the different passengers on a heavily discounted cruise. We travelled on Mariner about 3 years ago on a cruise which was heavily advertised and discounted in UK, the ambiance was quite different to the normal Regent serenity, although we did still enjoy the cruise. Having said that, we have just booked a discounted cruise on Navigator, so we shall see .....