Mariner, Lima to Buenos Aires

Gilly

I'm busy assembling all the things to pack before we set off tomorrow to join Mariner in Lima on Sunday and thought I'd post a link to my blog which I'll keep up to date whilst we are on board.

http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/

We sailed the previous leg of this journey on board Mariner two years ago, disembarking in Lima to travel independently in Peru. This time, we'll just stay a single night at both ends, since it's a longer cruise and we have my 91 year old m-i-l at home to consider. It's not the first time we've sailed around "the bottom end", since we made a similar journey on board P&O Oriana in 2004 and we're looking forward to rediscovering those ports we enjoyed and exploring quite a few new ones too.

As always, my blog will be upbeat and hopefully, will capture the joy of travelling to faraway places in such comfort and good company. Will everything be perfect? No, of course it won't, but I fully expect that Regent will more than live up to our expectations and in the same way as we have done at the end of every cruise we have taken, this will be the best one ever! I very much liked UUNetBill's description of himself as a "settler" and would say we are of similar mindset here!

Around here, the excitement is building...

We did the South American circumnavigation in 2013 and it was our first ever cruise. Though I was on the maiden voyage of the Oriana Mark 1 - but I wasn't very old, so I don't rememember that much about it.:o. Chile was an eye opener and had some fantastic excursions - feel free to ask if you want more info. Hint: avoid "Welsh" tea rooms.

You'll love it - and the locals you meet along the way are incredible. Particularly in Southern Chile, they appreciate that you've made the effort to come to visit them such a remote location. A small alert: our credit cards were skimmed in Ushuaia.

Uruguay was amazing for different reasons - they'll let you know why when you're on board. Overall, probably best for lovers of meat and wine - as well as spectacular scenery.

I'll follow the blog for sentimental reminiscences - wi-fi won't be great - I'm sure you know to do everything in Word and then post later. A significant event like rounding the Horn is very special for ALL on board - it's so great so see the staff excited too. Thanks for being kind enough to invite others to join you in your travels.

Edited by Catpow

From Passages, today:

"Every ship needs an expert to interpret the history and culture of the areas we are to visit. On this cruise Terry Breen will be our resident South American expert - that knowledgeable someone who will guide us on this voyage. She will present a variety of lectures in the Constellation Theatre. The author of the Cruiser Friendly On board Guide series, Terry is currently working on a television programme for PBS. Her unique combination of fact and fun make her presentations informative and entertaining "

Last time we enjoyed Terry's presentations in South America, we feared it could be the last opportunity to do so as there were rumours that the services of port lecturers might be discontinued. But Yay! Terry's on board!

• 3 weeks later...

So, our cruise has ended, we are at home and have had time to breathe and reflect upon what we think was probably the least successful Regent cruise we've experienced. I wrote things on my comment form that I never dreamed I'd write about a Regent cruise but considering this was also the most expensive cruise we'd taken, I feel my comments were justified. Some aspects were beyond Regent's control. No one can manage the weather or the sea conditions and in such circumstances, the Captain's judgement and final decision is unquestionable. We experienced first hand the almost impossible conditions in tendering ashore in one port and were not surprised that the Captain decided it was too risky. His decision was justified by the fact that the port was closed completely only minutes later. Those same weather conditions prevailed and meant we missed the next port too. Hard luck, then - just one of the chances we take on a cruise, but disappointing, of course. Weather meant we missed seeing the Amalia glacier too - disappointing, but hey ho, we were on a six star all inclusive ship. What's not to like?

Well by this time we were sailing under code red due to a GI outbreak. I wrote about that on my blog. Again, this was beyond Regent's control – in our opinion. I know there are ongoing discussions here and elsewhere about buffet serving but under normal circumstances, I’m happy with the way food is served in La Veranda and elsewhere and still prefer to help myself rather than have some serve me. When the Code Red was declared, (with 2% of the ship’s company being affected by GI infection), I regarded the stringent procedures introduced as a clear demonstration of Regent's commitment to resolving it. But sadly, for the remaining two thirds of our cruise, Code Red continued to be in force even though, in the last six days of our cruise, only one new GI case was

reported. Whilst Code Red was in place, the six star service faltered. Those staff we encountered on a daily basis (restaurant crew, entertainers, reception) worked their socks off to keep everyone happy and healthy. Wherever we were on the ship, there was always someone with a bucket and a sanitising spray within sight. But as the cruise neared the end, it was clear, the staff were exhausted and tired of focusing on sanitisation rather than

service, though remarkably, they never failed to smile. Regular Regent clients would notice the lack of canapés in the bar, as we did. No nibbles with drinks, no tempting treats - yes, anything could be ordered and would be brought immediately, but it's simply not the same when everything has to be requested. Oh, and all fun was cancelled for both crew and guests - no staff Valentine's party, no tastings, cookery demos, galley tours or

deck parties for us. Incidentally, we observed the pages of library books being sanitised, the Scrabble tiles were individually cleaned, the jigsaw disappeared and there were no brochures or magazines to peruse in the coffee shop. All perfectly sensible precautions but adding to the joyless experience that our cruise turned out to be.

So, when the Captain came on the loudspeaker for what came to be known as his 'daily apology' to tell us that we were no longer going to include the Falkland Islands in our journey, resulting in four straight sea days, you'll appreciate how the general mood shifted. Was it due to the weather? Was it due to a fishing net tangled in a propeller? Who knows? Sadly, by this stage in the cruise, many were losing faith in what was generally an invisible management team. The four days at sea were dull and in spite of the ever-cheerful CD's best efforts, the daily programme of activities was remarkably thin. Code Red (and Regent management?) limited what could be offered and we certainly did not pay $$$s to sit and watch films all day. For the first time on board a Regent ship, I was bored. Regent might have taken swift and comprehensive action to address the Code Red issue but in doing so, they forgot to consider their primary concern: the delight and satisfaction of their paying guests.

The final three ports, Punta del Este, Montevideo and Buenos Aires, we shared docks with other ships. Of course, people talk...It seems that those ships managed to get to the Falklands...so it wasn't the weather then. There was no further mention of a fishing net, so maybe it wasn't that either. So what was the mysterious reason for our change of plan? Who knows? The Captain's oblique and very verbose announcement gave no definite reason. Somewhere along the way, Regent dropped the ball - and we paid for it.

My reason for posting this here is of course, to share our experience. I’m an open and positive kind of person and really don’t like to dwell on the negative – I much prefer to move on to better things and leave the “stuff” behind. But it’s not fair to pretend everything was tickety-boo when clearly, it wasn’t. I’m hoping that, rather than a list of how every other cruise line would have done things better, we can come up with some thoughts of how Regent might have addressed the situation as it happened. So far, there has been no communication whatsoever from Regent – has that been your experience in similar circumstances or is that something which has changed with the new ownership?

Kwaj Girl, I hope the next segment of your journey goes more smoothly and a change of management team on board brings fresh energy and spirit! As you can probably tell, we are feeling more than slightly deflated here.

Gilly,

Very much enjoyed your excellent blog, thank you. That's very disappointing to hear about how the cruise was not up to previous standards. As you say lots of things can be accounted and reasoned for, but it's a shame your cruise and enjoyment was not as you would have expected.

Thank you for your detailed blog and photographs. Jean.

Gilly, thank you for your fun and informative blog. I've followed your adventures on Regent cruises for several years, and often booked my excursions based on your experiences. You are such an upbeat person that hearing of your disappointment this trip saddened me. You deserve better! Our cruise on Voyager from Bangkok to Hong Kong was also a disappointing one, partly because of the missed ports, but also due to a lack of communication from the staff and service that was less than stellar. For the first time in 5 trips, we didn't book another while in board and have decided to try another product. We were not alone. I hope that Regent management is reading this board and takes appropriate measures to improve the experience of their guests.

Edited by mom0f3

Liptastic and momof3, thank you for your kind words about my blog. I try to stay upbeat, to focus on what I'd like to remember of the day, which is generally the good things! However, I do think it's important to record some of the less than stellar bits (it is real life, after all!) and chalk up one or two things which add to the story.

Momof3, I could have written some of your thoughts, so closely do they tally with ours. For the first time in eight Regent cruises, we also haven't booked another. I agree wholeheartedly about the communication issues from the top down, too and can't say if that's something influenced by tiers of management in Miami or a feature of that particular team on board. The Cruise Director did what he could in the most difficult circumstances but I'm sure was as frustrated as his guests.

I too hope Regent take note. It would seem that there are potentially around a thousand people who will take home memories of two separate, less than stellar cruise experiences which they will share with friends and family. Many of them are like you and I - loyal Regent clients for whom this was a huge disappointment. So far, the company have not even acknowledged what the Captain himself described as "a challenge", which in itself is disappointing. Can they afford to be so complacent, I wonder?

Gilly, you would hope that management would take note of loyal and frequent guests disappointment at the less than stellar cruise. I remember reading your blog last year which was equally delightful to read, and your enthusiasm to report the wonderful time you had. I admire your honesty in this years posts about the cruise. It's often more difficult to write the negative aspects of any holiday but much better that you do. Regards, Jean.

Davor has taken over as GM and Serena is now the Captain....very personable, both of them. We are still under Code Red after that top to bottom sanitizing process on turnaround day. Apparently some newly-boarding guests had they symptoms on Monday and are being quarantined 48 hrs so that of course resets "the clock" for the rest of the ship. We have really not noticed the drop-off in service as you noted. I do not understand why the captain would have missed a port without good reason -specifically the Falkland Islands - the ship's maximum speed was around 13.5 kts so if we did stop in the Falklands for the day (as the other cruise lines apparently did) we could not have made it to Punta deal Este in time. I, too, heard rumors such as " the Falklands are denying us entry due to the virus" but I cannot imagine why the Captain would have withheld this "fact" if it were indeed the truth.

While inconvenienced, we do understand the measures being taken and applaud the crew for their perseverance and hard work.

Oh, Kwaj Girl, I'm so sorry the Code Red continues. As you say, the crew are working incredibly hard and were exhausted when we left - they really are doing as much as they can and it must be so frustrating when their efforts are thwarted by events beyond their control.

I'm glad you haven't noticed the drop in service we experienced and agree that the Captain would not have chosen to miss a significant port such as the Falklands without good reason - it's simply disappointing that he didn't communicate the reasons clearly enough to prevent speculation and doubt. As you say, rumours were many and varied though I didn't hear the "denied entry" one.

Here's hoping the strict quarantine sorts this Code Red out soon - and that you continue to enjoy your cruise. I so miss my Hendricks gin and tonic with cucumber garnish that Gusti and Faizal served so cheerfully every evening: Cheers!

I followed Gilly's blog daily, and appreciated the good nature expressed, despite obvious difficulties. I have travelled code red on other cruise lines, and Gilly's description was disheartening. Code red although reasonably necessary does remove a lot of enjoyment of the cruise. Most disappointing in all of this is the lack of apparent extra good will by management. We are scheduled on the mariner in April and hope the situation improves. In any event, thanks Gilly for a well written, entertaining and illuminative blog. We have traveled in argentina and antarctica, but have not traveled the west coast of south america, so dwelled on every word. thank you.

Gilly,

So sorry this cruise wasn't the best. You still made your blog enjoyable! Whenever we get ready to select a cruise I go first to your blog and see what you have to say! I first took note of you when you talked about buying shoes in India back in 2012. Then in 2014 I inquired about shoe shopping in Hong Kong. I never intended to make this a habit but now I must ask for info on those delicious red shoes I see in your pics of this cruise!

Hope we get to meet on the high seas some day!

(Guys, Don't jump on my for going off point. Shoes are important. Right ladies?)

Comfortable shoes are essential, I agree, Ladyfrog! The red ones I took to S America are Ecco:

http://shopeu.ecco.com/uk/en/ecco/ecco-bluma_2368636/6774018?navId=621

I love them!

I need to thank you and georg0 for the compliments *blush*. It's fun to share our travels, though definitely easier and more fun when things are going well! We meet so many lovely, interesting people on our cruises, it'd be fun to bump into you, I agree! But right now, for the first time in ten years we don't have any cruise plans up our sleeve. That's not solely as a result of this last experience I hasten to add, but we are having difficulties identifying a fresh itinerary with some new and inspiring ports - we don't really like retracing our steps too closely if we can help it.

Still, we have adventures planned, will check off states #44, 45 and 46 on my list this Summer and hope to squeeze in a couple of European jollies before too long. Though I hope to address the cruise situation before too long, I count my blessings and will find some fun somewhere, that's for sure!

• 1 month later...
So, our cruise has ended, we are at home and have had time to breathe and reflect upon what we think was probably the least successful Regent cruise we've experienced. I wrote things on my comment form that I never dreamed I'd write about a Regent cruise but considering this was also the most expensive cruise we'd taken, I feel my comments were justified. Some aspects were beyond Regent's control. No one can manage the weather or the sea conditions and in such circumstances, the Captain's judgement and final decision is unquestionable. We experienced first hand the almost impossible conditions in tendering ashore in one port and were not surprised that the Captain decided it was too risky. His decision was justified by the fact that the port was closed completely only minutes later. Those same weather conditions prevailed and meant we missed the next port too. Hard luck, then - just one of the chances we take on a cruise, but disappointing, of course. Weather meant we missed seeing the Amalia glacier too - disappointing, but hey ho, we were on a six star all inclusive ship. What's not to like?

Well by this time we were sailing under code red due to a GI outbreak. I wrote about that on my blog. Again, this was beyond Regent's control – in our opinion. I know there are ongoing discussions here and elsewhere about buffet serving but under normal circumstances, I’m happy with the way food is served in La Veranda and elsewhere and still prefer to help myself rather than have some serve me. When the Code Red was declared, (with 2% of the ship’s company being affected by GI infection), I regarded the stringent procedures introduced as a clear demonstration of Regent's commitment to resolving it. But sadly, for the remaining two thirds of our cruise, Code Red continued to be in force even though, in the last six days of our cruise, only one new GI case was

reported. Whilst Code Red was in place, the six star service faltered. Those staff we encountered on a daily basis (restaurant crew, entertainers, reception) worked their socks off to keep everyone happy and healthy. Wherever we were on the ship, there was always someone with a bucket and a sanitising spray within sight. But as the cruise neared the end, it was clear, the staff were exhausted and tired of focusing on sanitisation rather than

service, though remarkably, they never failed to smile. Regular Regent clients would notice the lack of canapés in the bar, as we did. No nibbles with drinks, no tempting treats - yes, anything could be ordered and would be brought immediately, but it's simply not the same when everything has to be requested. Oh, and all fun was cancelled for both crew and guests - no staff Valentine's party, no tastings, cookery demos, galley tours or

deck parties for us. Incidentally, we observed the pages of library books being sanitised, the Scrabble tiles were individually cleaned, the jigsaw disappeared and there were no brochures or magazines to peruse in the coffee shop. All perfectly sensible precautions but adding to the joyless experience that our cruise turned out to be.

So, when the Captain came on the loudspeaker for what came to be known as his 'daily apology' to tell us that we were no longer going to include the Falkland Islands in our journey, resulting in four straight sea days, you'll appreciate how the general mood shifted. Was it due to the weather? Was it due to a fishing net tangled in a propeller? Who knows? Sadly, by this stage in the cruise, many were losing faith in what was generally an invisible management team. The four days at sea were dull and in spite of the ever-cheerful CD's best efforts, the daily programme of activities was remarkably thin. Code Red (and Regent management?) limited what could be offered and we certainly did not pay $$$s to sit and watch films all day. For the first time on board a Regent ship, I was bored. Regent might have taken swift and comprehensive action to address the Code Red issue but in doing so, they forgot to consider their primary concern: the delight and satisfaction of their paying guests.

The final three ports, Punta del Este, Montevideo and Buenos Aires, we shared docks with other ships. Of course, people talk...It seems that those ships managed to get to the Falklands...so it wasn't the weather then. There was no further mention of a fishing net, so maybe it wasn't that either. So what was the mysterious reason for our change of plan? Who knows? The Captain's oblique and very verbose announcement gave no definite reason. Somewhere along the way, Regent dropped the ball - and we paid for it.

My reason for posting this here is of course, to share our experience. I’m an open and positive kind of person and really don’t like to dwell on the negative – I much prefer to move on to better things and leave the “stuff” behind. But it’s not fair to pretend everything was tickety-boo when clearly, it wasn’t. I’m hoping that, rather than a list of how every other cruise line would have done things better, we can come up with some thoughts of how Regent might have addressed the situation as it happened. So far, there has been no communication whatsoever from Regent – has that been your experience in similar circumstances or is that something which has changed with the new ownership?

Kwaj Girl, I hope the next segment of your journey goes more smoothly and a change of management team on board brings fresh energy and spirit! As you can probably tell, we are feeling more than slightly deflated here.

Mrs Retired and I were on this cruise and would like to commend Gilly for her splendid blog and, particularly for her final comments quoted above. Many of the very disappointed cruisers on board would have been rather more critical of Regent's handling of the "challenges". Acknowledging that the "challenges" themselves were largely outside Regent's control, the way they were handled was certainly not; and Regent fell well short. The most egregious example of the lack of concern and respect for passengers was the deceptive explanations of why the Falklands visit was aborted two full days before we were due to arrive. For many people on board, this visit was to be the highlight of the cruise, a fact Regent completely ignored in the almost casual way the cancelled stop was brushed off with false explanations.

We have delayed posting our comments for more than a month to give an opportunity for Regent to contact passengers with an apology for what turned out to be a lamentable failure to meet their high standards... and a generous offer of compensation. On March 7th, we received a "boilerplate" letter sent to all passengers containing an apology that "certain aspects of your recent cruise vacation did not meet the level of excellence we demand". This letter also made a "gesture of goodwill for the inconveniences" by extending a Future Cruise Credit of $1000.

I responded by email that we regarded this gesture as wholly inadequate in all the circumstances. I detailed all the ways in which we felt Regent's usual excellent customer service had lapsed on this cruise and asked for a reconsidered offer of compensation. This brought a letter dated March 25th stating that no additional compensation would be forthcoming.

Thus ends this saga for us. There is no doubt (from many Cruise Critic comments as well as other sources) that for most passengers the cruise was a failure and that Regent did not live up to its constantly touted devotion to customer service and satisfaction. Our present inclination is that we will not sail with Regent again.

Mr. Retired, thanks for posting Mrs. Retired and your Mariner experience. It is generally the positive Regent experiences that are posted here. Sorry that y'all did not get better explanations for the coveted missed Falklands port and that your compensation for this Mariner voyage glitches was not more generous.

Would have thought the compensation offer would have been more significant. As an aside, we were on the Silver Spirit in Brazil, Montevideo and Buenos Aires about the same time as you (February). We generally had a good cruise except for one night that was the fault of the awful management by the Hotel Director. I immediately got in touch with our TA and sent a note to the new President of Silversea (Mark Conroy) Within 24 hours the Hotel Director called my wife to apologize. For one night's glitch--we received a Future Cruise Credit of $2000--this exceeded our expectations and led us to change our minds about leaving Silversea--we are returning in the future.

On the other hand Regent did not meet your expectations for resolution--understand well while you have decided to most likely not sail with Regent again.

Edited by WesW

Let's be honest Wes, Mark Conroy is a friend of yours and should respond accordingly. He also is probably one of the best at understanding customer needs. Frank Del Rio as a CEO beats Mr. Lefebrve hollow, but he does not have a MC working for him. What a conundrum, and what to do?

Glad you went back to SS, but the team at NLCH is doing a good job.