Cruise Air Observations

Saildude16

We're travelling on the Explorer in May 2017 BCN/BCN. Our home is Pensacola Beach, FL. Since we booked in Oct. I've been monitoring air options.

Flying with Regent air in business would cost $1299(2) + $249(PNS is not a gateway city, so must drive 70 miles to MOB to depart) + $175(Custom air fee since we want to arrive BCN 2 days prior to departure) for a total of $3022/person.

However, AA has PNS/CLT/BCN service. As an experiment I've been watching the AA fare "pretending" as if we were going to travel independently on the same days and weeks in May 2016(Can't book air more than 330 days in advance anyway). From Oct. thru 1/6/2016 business class was $2766/person. Thus, we'd be ahead $256 each plus the air credit of $800, and not have to drive to/from Mobile as a result of self-booking.

On 1/27 the airfare increased to $4316 each! So, what happened? There still are abundant seats available per the seat maps. Is it because it's now only 4 months until May?

Just thought I'd solicit comments from travelers more seasoned than I.

I think you are saying that Regent's price went up - not the airlines..... correct? If this is the case, it is because Regent contracts with airlines for a specific amount of seats on each flight. Once those seats are gone (even though there are plenty of seats available if you book through the airline) Regent's price goes up and they pass the increase on to the passengers.

If the airline price went up, it is just the fluctuation that happens almost daily. We can find a good price one minute and, later in the day or the next day, it has changed.

Really wish that airlines and cruise lines passed on the discount for fuel that has been going on for quite some time. I know - this is off topic but still, it would be nice.

No, it's the AA fares of $2766 and $4316 that I'm referencing. As indicated $2766 was indicated consistently online for almost 3 months before skyrocketing to $4316. Seat maps show same availability now as before.

I intended not to use Regent for the previously mentioned monetary and convenience reasons.

Can't reconcile this 56% fare increase and thought others may have an explanation. Based on this exercise I'll be tempted to book air 330 days out if a low fare is shown rather than wait. This single data point indicates don't wait until Jan. to book May flights to the W. Med.

Of course, if the W. Med becomes problematic, there may be plenty of air seats and cruise cabins available.

Saildude, This may sound silly, but give it a try. Clear the cache on your browser and look at the airline site again. They keep track of cookies and if you visit them a few times, their computer is known to raise the price because of your interest.

Saildude, This may sound silly, but give it a try. Clear the cache on your browser and look at the airline site again. They keep track of cookies and if you visit them a few times, their computer is known to raise the price because of your interest.

Excellent recommendation!

OK, I deleted cookies before going back to AA.com. Result was the same, i.e. $4316 pp.

Then tried Travelocity and Expedia. Results were $4320 on either AA or AF/DL. Thus, it appears the market changed dramatically around mid-Jan.

TA is aware of this experiment in airfare monitoring, but has not offered an explanation for the dramatic jump in rates which occurred ~ 4 months in advance of the "modeled" departure date.

She has said that 270 days(about 2nd week of June 2016) prior to Explorer's 5/11/2017 departure will be the time to check with consolidators about air deals. I'll start looking in earnest 330 days out when schedules/prices are initially posted.

Saildude, I, like you, rarely use a cruise line air option. I have found, however, that if a price I can live with is available waiting is not a good option, specifically because of what happened to you.

Yes, you may be giving up a good price in the future, but prices are just as likely to go up as you near departure date as to go down and, personally, I don't want the stress. Key here is a price you can live with.