Food poisoning

Les Picantins

As Les picantins states though it is how these issues are dealt with when they occur.

As a point of interest, we all fill in the questionnaires prior to boarding the ship. What happens if you do have a contagious illness? Are you let on board and if not, does that mean you can't take your cruise? I wonder how many passengers don't declare an illness in case they think this might be the consequence?

Edited by Techno123

I agree T123 that methodology is super important. Obviously if OP is correct the Hotel Manager needs an attitude adjustment.

I also find it interesting she ignores our comments about antibiotics. Nuff said.

concerning the antibiotics, he was having strange joint pain. Since he didn't feel comfortable returning to see the doctor, I looked up the meds online (the doctor did not give him a fact sheet with the pills). This was considered to be a side effect and we made an uneducated decision. We've been married for 24 years during which time he has only taken antibiotics twice. We consulted a pharmacist once in Key West a few days later, he agreed with your comments but what was done was done.

I did get food poisoning on the Mariner in 2013. It was from a German themed pool BBQ - a dodgy sausage. I knew it was from the ship as we were in a very remote part of the world off the coast of Peru and frankly there were no opportunities to eat elsewhere. After the worst night ever and a whole packet of Immodium having no effect, I fronted the doctor.

I had to complete a questionnaire outlining what I had eaten (and drunk!) for the previous three days - quite hard when you are feeling like death. She did a number of tests, gave me two different injections and prescribed antibiotics and something else I can't recall. I was quarantined for 28 hours - my husband (who was fine, of course) for a bit less. I also had to eat chicken noodle soup (the kitchen didn't have this: chicken bouillon was a substitute) and dry toast plus Gatorade for the quarantine period. After another check up I was placed on a bland diet for another 24 hours.

I was not charged for any of this medical treatment but basically ate nothing for three days, missed a port and excursion (which I was assured later was no great loss) and also had to cancel our precious Prime 7 reservation and miss the Australia Day get together I'd asked the Cruise Director to facilitate:(.

Incidentally Michael Coghlan was the GM during this period but I had no contact with him over this as I just wanted to get better. I guess it did allow me to catch up on my blog and watch a couple of movies but overall it was a rather unpleasant experience.

Perhaps it would have been nice to get an acknowledgement or like Crystal a refund for the days of our trip ruined, but the rest of the cruise exceeded our expectations we just accepted it as a one-off, as I guess most people do.

I do not know if other passengers were affected the same way; this is more just to give readers an idea of the ship's standard procedures followed in food poisoning cases - their priority is to identify the cause and mitigate the consequences. And we did get an additional Prime 7 booking...